Apple iWatch rumored for possible 2013 launch

Rick

Staff

Apple's so-called iWatch may find itself on retail shelves sometime this year, according Bloomberg per its usual sources familiar with the matter. Current rumors have suggested Apple's upcoming smart wristwatch may feature a 1.5-inch passive display, Bluetooth 4.0 connectivity and Apple's recently patented, high-quality curved glass.

Adding fuel to the existing blaze of iWatch rumors, Bloomberg astutely noted the Cupertino-based company has filed for 79 patents containing the word "wrist", so far.

One of the most telling patents might be U.S. patent application US20120194448 which describes a flexible wrist-mounted device with a battery augmented by solar power and kinetic energy. PatentlyApple takes a detailed look at some of these seemingly watch-related patents.

If the above application is any indication, Apple's wrist-mounted device may materialize as a "slap wrap" or slap bracelet. Slap bracelets are typically about one inch in width by nine inches in length -- and in the case of the iWatch -- nearly the entire bracelet could be a display. The large screen area afforded by such a design could be useful for maps and reading.

Industry analyst Oliver Chen believes Apple stands to gain more with a successful iWatch launch than it does with an iTV. Chen predicts the global watch market will generate about $60 billion in revenue during 2013 -- only about half what televisions are expected to rake in. However, watchmakers enjoy four times the average profit per unit sold than TV peddlers do. Given Apple's reputation for style and selling products with big price tags, a market riddled with luxury watches might be an appropriate niche for Apple.

Permalink to story.

You know apple is smart, they always cater to the casual users. I have no interest in this piece of junk, but when I further think about it, some one like my dad would be thrilled by it.

The link to the patent specification in the article is for an attachable cover for tablets that includes flexible display. It's not a wrist watch or band. Just scroll up in the document and see the full spec and title for patent. ;-)

If they do release something like this you can rest assured it'll be way overpriced yet people will fall for it. To me it seems gimmicky ATM but time will tell. (Couldn't resist the pun)

Back