Apple leads smartwatch sector with 75 percent market share

Gabe Carey

Recent data from Strategy Analytics suggests that Apple captured 75.5 percent of all global smartwatch sales during its release quarter, distantly followed by Samsung at an estimated 7.5 percent market share.

The research firm estimates that about 4 million Apple Watches were sold in the second quarter of 2015, the three month period that concluded on June 30. These figures present a mammoth disparity over the estimated 400,000 smartwatches issued by Samsung during the same quarter.

Ensuing from the corporations earnings report published on Tuesday, a number of analysts have opted to alter their Apple Watch sales estimates to figures ranging from 2.2 million and 3 million units sold. Regardless, Apple is clearly in the lead.

Strategy Analytics director Neil Mawston concluded that as a result of Apple's sales dominance in the smartwatch sector, in the United States "and elsewhere", Apple watch "saw decent take-up from iPhone loyalists" and that "the ball is now in the court of rivals, like Samsung, to respond."

Global Smartwatch Vendor Shipments (Millions of Units) Q2 '14 Q2 '15
Apple 0.0 4.0
Samsung 0.7 0.4
Others 0.3 0.9
Total 1.0 5.3
Global Smartwatch Vendor Marketshare (%) Q2 '14 Q2 '15
Apple 0.0% 75.5%
Samsung 73.6% 7.5%
Others 26.4% 17.0%
Total 100.0% 100.0%
Total Growth: Year-over-Year (%) ~ 457.3%

Overall, Apple Watch's introduction to market brought with it a 457 percent smartwatch market growth, thus enabling 5.3 million total smartwatch shipments in the second quarter of 2015. This record number is higher than smartwatch vendors saw collectively in 2014 when shipments totaled 4.6 million smartwatches.

In the same quarter a year prior, Samsung wielded a whopping 73.6 percent market share in the smartwatch division, but the Korean electronics company is now considerably overshadowed by Apple in the emerging wearables sector. Jointly, Apple and Samsung are responsible for 80 percent of total smartwatch sales akin to the companies' control over the smartphone market.

Strategy Analytics estimates that tech companies outside of Apple and Samsung accounted for 900,000 units sold in the second quarter of 2015. Although this was an upsurge from the 600,000 smartwatches sold last year during the same period, the market share of these companies is on the decline from 26.4 percent to 17 percent in Q2 2014.

During the earnings report publicized on Tuesday, Apple CEO Tim Cook declared that sales of the Apple Watch "exceeded expectations." Official sales figures, however, have yet to be revealed, though Cook did mention that during its first nine weeks Apple Watch sales surpassed those of the first-generation iPad and iPhone when they were originally released.

Permalink to story.

Either Gabe or Strategy Analytics (or both) are making something up here.
This who article stinks of bogus!

Look around and tell us how many folks "you know" are are actually
sporting these wearable turds. I personally see view few ... if any.

Where are these people hiding?

They should of put their effort on Android vs. Apple iOS for watches. I do not know of 1 person who has an apple watch. BTW, I use a Sony Smartwatch 3 for my fitness tracking/GPS.

Guys remember this is just talking about units sold, not people wearing the device!

Anyone who buys an Apple Watch and is still sane will wear it for a few minutes and immediately put it aside as they realize its not very useful. I imagine it goes something like "Oh this looks cool!" ... Ok so what can ... hmm ... meh

Back