Apple led the way as tablet shipments reached new heights in 2020

midian182

Staff member
In brief: The fourth quarter of last year wasn't just a good one for Apple's iPhones; it was also a stellar period for its iPad line, with shipments growing 40 percent year-on-year to 19.2 million—the tablets' best quarterly performance in six years.

Data from market research firm IDC released earlier this week showed the smartphone market rebounded in the fourth quarter of 2020, helped by Apple shipping more handsets than any other vendor has ever managed in a single quarter—90.1 million.

A new report from a different research group, Canalys, shows that Apple's iPads also had a fantastic Q4 2020. The 19.2 million slates it shipped gave the company a 36 percent share of the market, marking the highest number of iPad shipments since 2014.

Samsung trails behind Apple in the number two spot. The Korean giant moved 9.9 million iPads, up 41 percent YoY, while Amazon was third with 6.5 million shipments. The only company in the top five to see declines was Huawei (-24 percent). The Chinese firm is feeling the effects of US sanctions, having also seen its smartphone shipments fall 42 percent in the fourth quarter.

Total tablet shipments in Q4 were up 54 percent YoY, more than the smartphone industry's 4.3 percent increase. For the whole of 2020, 28 percent more slates shipped than in 2019.

The pandemic has again been cited as a significant reason behind the tablet resurgence, though the wide variety of price points, number of models, and connectivity options also helped entice consumers.

Canalys also looked at global PC shipments, which combine desktops, notebooks, workstations, and tablets. Lenovo topped the list for both Q4 and the whole of 2020, followed by Apple, HP, Dell, and Samsung. 458.2 million units were shipped throughout the year, marking a 17 percent YoY growth rate.

Permalink to story.

Android - let's give them every feature up front so we have nothing new next year.

Apple: slow and steady wins the race.

My iPad Pro is better than my Ryzen 5 ultra book in almost every single way. And Android tablets don’t have any apps. No wonder Apple is increasing their market share.

My iPad Pro is better than my Ryzen 5 ultra book in almost every single way. And Android tablets don’t have any apps. No wonder Apple is increasing their market share.

My iPad Pro is mostly used for browsing, since the apps that I want are blocked by them.

Example, SteamLink, RetroArch, Synology DS Get, Xcloud.

Or how the apple apps are strictly separated between iPhone and iPad, which creates a bunch of other issues.

On Android, that problem was solved from the get go.

The Files app is better now, but still limited.

I dont like Samsung because of the insane amount of unremovable bloatware they have, but DeX, plus Android sideloading and they are now on point with updates and upgrades, will make me consider moving.

On the other hand, Google needs to stop their internal BS and get their behinds in gear, hardware wise.

My iPad Pro is mostly used for browsing, since the apps that I want are blocked by them.

Or how the apple apps are strictly separated between iPhone and iPad, which creates a bunch of other issues.

I dont like Samsung because of the insane amount of unremovable bloatware they have, but DeX, plus Android sideloading and they are now on point with updates and upgrades, will make me consider moving.

On the other hand, Google needs to stop their internal BS and get their behinds in gear, hardware wise.
Solution: jailbreak the iPad Pro.... that's what I did... can use any app I want on it...
Still, for productivity, my Surface Pro 6 is better...

But while they claim to compete, I really don't think they do. iPads are the best for content consumption.... and while the Pro line touts production as being it's raison d'etre, unless you're a graphic designer, the Surface is superior.

Ah so the apps you want to use on your iPad are like things you do at home. I use my iPad for travel and it runs rings around any laptop I’ve got at editing video, playing video, battery life etc. You can comfortably get an iPad on that tiny table in the seat in front of you when flying and the battery will last the journey. My AirPods pair to my iPad with no problems and I can read and respond to messages on my iPad without having to get my phone out. I can activate tethering on my phone remotely from my iPad if I have no WiFi. My iPad even runs civilisation VI now which is awesome!

I really do love my iPad, after years of lugging laptops on holidays with me it’s been a huge improvement. Of course right now the only thing I use my iPad for is a bit of browsing on the sofa as we are mostly all housebound.

Google doesn’t support Android for tablets anymore. They want people to buy Chrome but so far the chrome tablets from Google I’ve seen are truly awful. They do need to get their *** in gear but to be honest I doubt il give that company my money.

I’d like to see Windows get their *** in gear and make windows better for low power systems. They don’t seem to be doing too well either.

h so the apps you want to use on your iPad are like things you do at home.

Incorrect, all of those are actually capable of running anywhere that you have wifi or cell service.

You can comfortably get an iPad on that tiny table in the seat in front of you when flying

Same for a Samsung Tab.
My AirPods pair to my iPad with no problems and I can read and respond to messages on my iPad without having to get my phone out. I can activate tethering on my phone remotely from my iPad if I have no WiFi.

Yeah, that means going even deeper into Apple bowels...

Sorry but no, as it is, I am beyond weary of jumping into the gold jail they are.
Solution: jailbreak the iPad Pro.... that's what I did... can use any app I want on it...
Any links in how to do this?

I was under the impression that jailbreaking was impossible.

But at the same time, this is really an excuse, not a solution.

Not saying that you are making excuses for them, but in reality, a customer should have more freedom with their devices, which I commend Google for allowing sideloading.

Incorrect, all of those are actually capable of running anywhere that you have wifi or cell service.

Same for a Samsung Tab.

Yeah, that means going even deeper into Apple bowels...

Sorry but no, as it is, I am beyond weary of jumping into the gold jail they are.

But at the same time, this is really an excuse, not a solution.

Not saying that you are making excuses for them, but in reality, a customer should have more freedom with their devices, which I commend Google for allowing sideloading.

But the problem is iPads are so far ahead of anything made by Google in terms of app support and performance. You’ve listed some apps which don’t run on an iPad. But trust me there are far more apps for iPad than any other tablet. I reckon I could find thousands of examples, civilisation VI - a game I play is one of them and that can’t be side loaded.

And that’s before mentioning performance. Apples cheapest entry at around $300 runs rings round anything that runs Android, any phone, any tablet.

You’re better off jail breaking an iPad than buying anything by Samsung. Besides, Samsung tablets are hot garbage, so many glitches and bugs and youl be lucky to get more than a year of updates.

This is why Apple is killing it on market share, iPads are dominating the competition at the moment.

Well, I'm pretty sure that providing links here would be frowned upon... but assuming you are running 13.5 or under, it is quite simple - google is your friend... try searching for unc0ver ;)

If your Apple device is older than the iPhone 11, then search for checkrain.... any iOS can be jailbroken on older devices as there is a hardware exploit...

But I agree - if you want to do actual "work" on a tablet, the Surface is vastly superior to anything Apple, Samsung or Google can provide you.

But the problem is iPads are so far ahead of anything made by Google in terms of app support and performance.

App support is a bit debatable, since Android by design doesnt have the fake barrier set by Apple (iPhone or iPad versions of apps.)

Support, yes, I give you that one, excpet that Samsung is now providing around 4 years of updates and upgrades.

You’ve listed some apps which don’t run on an iPad.
I did, I use them and they are not there simply because Apple cant make money out of them.

But trust me there are far more apps for iPad than any other tablet.
Thats also debatable. One that really irks me is Apple stupid decision to remove the calculator app, which forced me to look at whats on the store and honestly, found some garbage there that I was left scratching my head as to how they were approved.

And that’s before mentioning performance. Apples cheapest entry at around $300 runs rings round anything that runs Android, any phone, any tablet.

Depending in what you do with your device. But wont deny that Apples SOC's are very fast.

You’re better off jail breaking an iPad than buying anything by Samsung.
sometimes, you really dont want to work and just play. ;-)

Besides, Samsung tablets are hot garbage, so many glitches and bugs and youl be lucky to get more than a year of updates.

Sorry bro, but that is straight up lies. The only thing I will say that Samsung sucks royaly is in the amount of bloatware installed that you cannot remove. At least Apple lets you remove their bloatware.

This is why Apple is killing it on market share, iPads are dominating the competition at the moment.
I will say, is more of riding on the iPhone and brand coattails than merits on their own, but yes, they are the best option for a tablet for media consumption.

Take a look at this quick video of DeX on a Tab S7.

Back