Apple Music is here and there's no easy way to import playlists from competing services

dkpope

Staff

spotify apple music beats music app

If you're thinking about giving Apple Music a try, prepare to spend a hefty chunk of time getting started. The reason is that there is no tool to bring your playlists over from rival services, unless you've been using Apple-owned Beats music.

Up until recently a workaround would have been to first sign up for Beats, transfer in your playlists, and then bring them into Apple Music. But that's no longer an option because Apple has stopped new signups for Beats Music.

According to The Verge, Apple hasn't commented on whether or not they'll release a tool to streamline the process. It wouldn't be unthinkable for a tool like that to surface, in June Apple came out with an app that helps people switch from Android to iOS, so we'll keep hoping.

iOS 8.4 with Apple Music launched Tuesday amid much curiosity and it has, mostly, mixed reviews. Fortunately there's a three-month free trial so you can experience it first hand -- you will be charged at the begining of the fourth month but you can deactivate the autorenewal option if you're not completely sold.

spotify apple music beats music app

Similar to Beats, Apple Music tries to be both music streaming service and content curator. It will try to determine your musical tastes by having you choose your favorite artists and genres from a collection of red bubbles.

So if you're interested in trying Apple Music out, there are really only two options left. You can choose to dedicate an afternoon to recreating your beloved playlists by hand, or you can throw yourself to the whims of Apple Music's algorithm and see how close they get.

Permalink to story.

"in June Apple came out with an app that helps people switch from Android to iOS"
I thought they had developed an app to help with the switch from iOS to Android. I must've misread that article. :D

"in June Apple came out with an app that helps people switch from Android to iOS"
I thought they had developed an app to help with the switch from iOS to Android. I must've misread that article. :D

LOL - that would be the day we knew the world was ending.

Heck, can't even import a playlist from one device to the other using a common iTunes - - it's like they don't care at all about the experience

Back