Apple orders 15 million iPhone 5 units from Pegatron

Emil

Apple has ordered an estimated 15 million iPhone 5 units (or iPhone 4S units, depending on who you ask) from Taiwan-based notebook maker Pegatron Technology. Once again, we're hearing that the device will start shipping in September 2011, according to sources from upstream component makers cited by DigiTimes.

Thanks to its cooperation with Apple for the iPhone 4, Pegatron significantly expanded its plants, equipment, and workforce in 2010. Apple's CDMA iPhone 4 sales were lower than expected in the first quarter of 2011, and Pegatron shipped less than 4 million CDMA iPhone 4s, instead of the expected orders for 10 million. As a result, the company's utilization rate to drop to only 50 percent while its gross margin also dropped to 1.8 percent in the quarter. The company is hoping that the iPhone 5 release will be better.

Rumors have previously said Apple's iPhone 5 will be an 8MP camera manufactured by Sony featuring dual-LED flash. Higher-resolution pictures and video will be better viewed on the device's rumored larger screen but thinner bezel.

Apple has been giving some developers access to a device known as the iPhone 4S — an iPhone 4 with upgraded internals. Some argue that's not the next iPhone, claiming the device will reportedly have a radical new case design.

Ever since the iPhone 5 was delayed, rumors have suggested production for the device will start in either July or September, but both expect it to arrive in time for this holiday season (possibly as soon as August 2011).

The iPhone 5 was largely expected to arrive last month, given the iPhone's history, but was delayed. The first iPhone was released on June 29, 2007. The iPhone 3G was introduced on June 9, 2008. The iPhone 3GS was announced on June 8, 2009 and arrived on June 19, 2009 in the first countries. The iPhone 4 was announced on June 7, 2010 and released on June 24, 2010.

Permalink to story.

"an iPhone 4 with upgraded internals"

Aren't all iPhone pretty much the previous generation with upgraded internals? (I realize the iPhone 4 was a pretty major redesign but I bet it's still pretty close to the 3GS on the inside)

Not even CLOSE to the same. Also the iPhone 4 Verizon is totally different inside then ATT. - I own an iPhone repair business.

Back