Apple Park employees keep smacking into the building's glass walls

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Many consider Apple Park to be a modern architectural marvel but according to a new report, the lavish campus that opened less than a year ago is quite literally presenting some unforeseen headaches.

Sources familiar with the matter tell Time that distracted Apple employees using their iPhones keep walking into the headquarters’ iconic glass walls. Some staffers even went so far as to put Post-It notes on panes to mark their presence but they were reportedly removed because they cheapened the building’s design.

A spokesperson for Apple declined to comment when pinged by the publication. It is unclear how many incidents have occurred and a search on the Occupational Safety and Health Administration’s website turned up zero reports of injury.

(Image courtesy Mac Observer)

What’s ironic here is that Apple itself is largely responsible for popularizing mobile devices. In a sense, they brought the distractions – and as a result, employee injuries – upon themselves.

Apple Park is the brainchild of Apple co-founder Steve Jobs. The facility was designed by Norman Foster and opened to employees in April 2017. Jobs famously presented details of the architectural design to the Cupertino City Council just months before his death in October 2011. He never got to see the finished product.

While it’s easy to poke fun at people who can’t manage to pay attention to where they are walking, smartphone users oblivious to the world around them are a serious safety – and societal – concern. Several cities around the globe, for example, have taken measures to protect distracted drivers and pedestrians from themselves.

Permalink to story.

I want to laugh but I can't :(. As a child I went full speed into a glass door, while trying to run to a screened in pool at my grandparent's house.

Sounds like more "distracted walking" ...... one solution might to put those steel rods on their legs like we used to have on the old cars that warned you when you were too close to the curb ..... it could be quite a fashion statement!

I want to laugh but I can't :(. As a child I went full speed into a glass door, while trying to run to a screened in pool at my grandparent's house.
My sister did something similar when we moved into a new house. There was this glass door that the previous owners had washed so much, it looked like it wasn't there. Anyway, my sister was running through the then open glass door with a friend. The father of said friend decided to close the door and didn't think to close it and bam. My sister somehow survived running through plate glass that was at least 30-40 years old.

It's ok to laugh, you were just a child. These are grown adults who are faceplanting themselves into walls they are surrounded by everyday.
Darwin just playing catch up.

Here's the real Apple campus:
3686.jpg

That sh!t in Cupertino is just a front.

You don't see those, "Apple employees", walking around with an iPhone to their ear, now do ya?

Last edited:
Here's the real Apple campus:
3686.jpg

That sh!t in Cupertino is just a front.

You don't see those, "Apple employees", walking around with an iPhone to their ear, now do ya?

While it's easy to point out Apple's manufacturing in China as a joke, the real joke is also in Cupertino where I hear it sucks to work there. So-so benefits, average pay, strict policies and now dangerous glass door buildings!

While it's easy to point out Apple's manufacturing in China as a joke, the real joke is also in Cupertino where I hear it sucks to work there. So-so benefits, average pay, strict policies and now dangerous glass door buildings!
That's a truly bizarre post on your part. Without a doubt, it's completely devoid of any acceptable human value system. I guess the only questions that need to be answered are, was it accidental? Was it on purpose? Or simply whether or not you know any better. Or perhaps the obvious, were you joking?

What App-hole needs to do, is put up four story towers, in order for these poor oppressed white collar types, to do the right thing for themselves, to prevent dishonoring their family and their company, by committing suicide jumping off of them. Just like they do at the Foxconn dorms...(y)

Or, they could save the Apple stockholders some money and embarrassment, and simply put a Samsung Galaxy in front of their face, then walk out in front of a semi on CA Highway 85.

Last edited:
Difference is children do that, they aren't always aware while adults should know better.

Difference is children do that, they aren't always aware while adults should know better.
Yes but, in this instance, it would seem like banning cell phone on the campus would be a necessary hypocrisy, to safeguard the adults who the phones have turned back into children.

In the larger sense, Apple could claim that phone addicts are being rehabilitated there, and ask people to pay for the privilege of working there.

OK, so that's obviously hyperboly. The overarching truth is, anyone who crashes into a glass wall while using an iPhone, is "holding it wrong".

That's a truly bizarre post on your part. Without a doubt, it's completely devoid of any acceptable human value system. I guess the only questions that need to be answered are, was it accidental? Was it on purpose? Or simply whether or not you know any better. Or perhaps the obvious, were you joking?

What App-hole needs to do, is put up four story towers, in order for these poor oppressed white collar types, to do the right thing for themselves, to prevent dishonoring their family and their company, by committing suicide jumping off of them. Just like they do at the Foxconn dorms...(y)

Or, they could save the Apple stockholders some money and embarrassment, and simply put a Samsung Galaxy in front of their face, then walk out in front of a semi on CA Highway 85.

Just like you're handle suggests, you really are captaincranky.

Can't take a joke can you?

Just like you're handle suggests, you really are captaincranky.

Can't take a joke can you?
For years I've lobbied to have a ";rolleyes:" emoticon reinstated on this software platform, to no avail.

That said, I added, "or perhaps you were joking", to my post at something like 7:00 AM. I wanted to touch all the bases. (Which I just emboldened in my original post, BTW, for your reading convenience)..

Something for you to ponder might be, is someone with the screen name "cranky", automatically excluded from being "sarcastic", simply because you've claimed, "sarcasm", as your screen name?

After all, as the children say, "what comes around, goes around". Welcome to Techspot.

Soon to be common - a new class of deformity called "plate face", in which the victim ends up with permanently flattened features, due to frequent crashes into glass doors/walls. Think of it as an I.Q. test, where your score is obvious to everyone.

And again, we find a new use for the word 'iconic'. Glass is hardly an icon nor a religious symbol, which is what the word means. As to the glass causing disjointed noses - it comes right out of the Jacques Tati school of pretentiousness in design, pretty as endless walls of glass may be.

And again, we find a new use for the word 'iconic'. Glass is hardly an icon nor a religious symbol, which is what the word means. As to the glass causing disjointed noses - it comes right out of the Jacques Tati school of pretentiousness in design, pretty as endless walls of glass may be.
Well, "AFAIK, "iconic" is an adjective, whereas, "icon", is a noun. The Apple logo, and the corporation behind it are both an "icon", and iconic. This of course, if your definition of either word, can be expanded into the secular world. Which by most accounts, and by what I would imagine to be a sizable portion of peoples of the 1st world, it would be allowed.

In the same context as you've appropriated for your argument, the Wailing Wall, or a crucifix aren't "icons", or "iconic", without implied meaning or significance supplied by believers.

So, it is sequitur to assume if you "believe", in the Apple corporation, its products, and its policies, then its headquarters can be "iconic" to you. This is either in addition to, or in contrast with, whatever your Rabbi told you.

Do yourself a favor, try not to head into the deep end of the pool your first time jumping in.

And BTW, all Apple needed was a tree or two poking through the roof, and maybe a waterfall, as cause of action against Frank Lloyd Wright's estate. (Assuming he still has one, of course).

Last edited:
It feels wrong to laugh at this, but...
But then if you don't laugh, and right out loud, it might be seen as an excess of character and self control, which many of us would have to struggle to abide. :D <(I posted that, so you could pretend to be laughing at the post, while really laughing uproariously at the dipsticks at Apple)

If anyone ever wants a glass house, maybe this will change their mind. Awe hell who am I trying to kid, this is Apple.

Back