Apple pauses all product sales in Russia but access to App Store remains

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? Apple has confirmed it is the latest company to pause the sale of its products in Russia following the invasion of Ukraine. Cupertino has already cut some Russian users off from Apple Pay due to sanctions against the country, though it has yet to block the App Store—a request made by Ukraine's vice prime minister.

In response to the invasion, Apple has paused all product sales in Russia, limited Apple Pay, and removed RT News and Sputnik News for the App Stores outside of the country. It has also disabled traffic patterns and live incident reports in Apple Maps in Ukraine to prevent the monitoring of Ukrainian movements.

“We are deeply concerned about the Russian invasion of Ukraine and stand with all of the people who are suffering as a result of the violence,” Apple said in a statement on Tuesday.

Last week, Ukraine's vice prime minister Mykhailo Fedorov, who is also the minister of digital transformation, tweeted an open letter to Tim Cook asking Apple to stop supplying its services and products to the Russian Federation, including blocking access to the App Store. He also recently asked PlayStation and Xbox to stop supporting Russian markets.

While Apple has now granted most of the requests, it fell short of blocking the App Store in Russia. Fedorov urged Cook to “finish the job” following the announcement. “They kill our children, now kill their access!” he tweeted.

iPhones are the third most popular smartphone brand in Russia, taking 15% of the market, behind Xiaomi (26%) and leader Samsung (34%).

Tech giants are rushing to take action against Russia in response to the violence in Ukraine. Intel and AMD have stopped industrial chip sales to the country, Meta has barred Russian state-run media from selling ads on its platforms, and Google has blocked Russian state media from earning money on its services while also limiting exposure to those channels on YouTube.

Apple's full statement:

We are deeply concerned about the Russian invasion of Ukraine and stand with all of the people who are suffering as a result of the violence. We are supporting humanitarian efforts, providing aid for the unfolding refugee crisis, and doing all we can to support our teams in the region.

We have taken a number of actions in response to the invasion. We have paused all product sales in Russia. Last week, we stopped all exports into our sales channel in the country. Apple Pay and other services have been limited. RT News and Sputnik News are no longer available for download from the App Store outside Russia. And we have disabled both traffic and live incidents in Apple Maps in Ukraine as a safety and precautionary measure for Ukrainian citizens.

We will continue to evaluate the situation and are in communication with relevant governments on the actions we are taking. We join all those around the world who are calling for peace.

Permalink to story.

All these sanctions only hurt the Russian people.

Putin, I doubt has an iPhone. His money is secure in the obtshak.

His people are putting their money into crypto or secure commodities (which are rising in value -= like the oil shares I bought in March 2020)

Regardless the dissent of some in Russia, Putin has explained to his people that he's protecting them from NATO aggression. They're pressing on regardless to Kyiv.

Why punish the people for the actions of their president to secure his nation's sovereignty?

His people are putting their money into crypto or secure commodities (which are rising in value -= like the oil shares I bought in March 2020)

Regardless the dissent of some in Russia, Putin has explained to his people that he's protecting them from NATO aggression. They're pressing on regardless to Kyiv.

Why punish the people for the actions of their president to secure his nation's sovereignty?

No just Russian people. We are also paying the price, gas, petrol, urea and other products from Russia are more expensive. A lot of companies are paying the price, so those santions are just stupid, but politician who earn 10K to 20K a month dont feel it, but we common people have to struggle more than before.

No just Russian people. We are also paying the price, gas, petrol, urea and other products from Russia are more expensive. A lot of companies are paying the price, so those santions are just stupid, but politician who earn 10K to 20K a month dont feel it, but we common people have to struggle more than before.
The elites are safe, none of them care about the dirty lower classes.

Yes, it does hurt the Russian people primarily. But if enough of them can be convinced that their government is the cause of their increasing isolation, we might just see them put enough pressure to get them to back down (or replace them). It's happened before, and short of a military intervention, it's up to the people. Lets see which way the resentment goes.

Of course, that's assuming that the gov't can't control the narrative well enough, and can't counter the sanctions sufficiently. But right now, their economy is in the gutter. And if they take Ukraine, they'll stay isolated because of it.

Last edited:
"Free society" lol

Let's make sure we keep the truth from getting out. anything that contradicts Biden or the Ukranian media.
But but but oppressing citizens is a GOOD thing because of RuUsIa MaN bAd. Only america is allowed to bomb civillians and opposing governments without reprecussion!

"Free society" lol

Let's make sure we keep the truth from getting out. anything that contradicts Biden or the Ukranian media.
But but but oppressing citizens is a GOOD thing because of RuUsIa MaN bAd. Only america is allowed to bomb civillians and opposing governments without reprecussion!
Yes, let's put Trumpy back in office. He would just hand the Ukraine to the Russians, then Finland, Sweden, and any other European country that does not exceed to his demands to produce evidence to hurt his political enemies. And the citizens of the Ukraine (who don't want the Russian "Liberation") as well as the citizens of Russia would be perfectly fine. Now that's American Freedom. :rolleyes: Perhaps we can just invite the Russians to take over Canada, Cuba, and all of South America too? How about the US, next?

Your memes are amusing, but I think both of you forget what happens when insane, power crazed leaders like Putin and Trump are left unchecked to have their way.

Freedom under Trumpy/Putie. 🤣 WTF are you guys smokin' shootin' drinkin'??

Yes, let's put Trumpy back in office. He would just hand the Ukraine to the Russians, then Finland, Sweden, and any other European country that does not exceed to his demands to produce evidence to hurt his political enemies. And the citizens of the Ukraine (who don't want the Russian "Liberation") as well as the citizens of Russia would be perfectly fine. Now that's American Freedom. :rolleyes: Perhaps we can just invite the Russians to take over Canada, Cuba, and all of South America too? How about the US, next?

Your memes are amusing, but I think both of you forget what happens when insane, power crazed leaders like Putin and Trump are left unchecked to have their way.

Freedom under Trumpy/Putie. 🤣 WTF are you guys smokin' shootin' drinkin'??

Uh huh, cool man. While you’re armchair politicking about how much worse Trump might be, there’s WW3 sabre rattling and an ACTUAL CURRENT war in Ukraine, the magical vanishing pandemic while your head was turned, runaway inflation, insane housing and automotive costs, afghanistan bungle, and so much more.

I’ll take the Trump years any day. Pull your head out of your *** and look around, things are ****ed.

We’ve just had a pandemic where we were locked down masked up to make politicians feel better about the fact that there was nothing they could do to stop the spread and now the same politicians are going to hurt normal, civilian western and Russian businesses with sanctions to make them feel better about the fact that there is nothing they can do to stop the Russian military invasion of Ukraine.

What I don’t understand is why don’t the Ukrainians build a weather generator and use that to take out the convoy of Russian Rhino tanks. I did exactly that on Red Alert 2 last night, worked a charm.

Uh huh, cool man. While you’re armchair politicking about how much worse Trump might be, there’s WW3 sabre rattling and an ACTUAL CURRENT war in Ukraine, the magical vanishing pandemic while your head was turned, runaway inflation, insane housing and automotive costs, afghanistan bungle, and so much more.

I’ll take the Trump years any day. Pull your head out of your *** and look around, things are ****ed.
From your standpoint, maybe, but not from others. WWIII? Are you aware of the looks on the faces of the Russian generals when Putie said to ramp up his Nuclear forces? Putie is only as strong as those who support him.

I think you need to pull your head out of your a$$ and realize that even the Russians are tired of Putie. And stop listening to Tucker and the other "conservaturds" that stoke fear at every opportunity they get.

There's nothing magical about what it happening with the virus - it's a natural progression in virus mutation. I know its not going to do any good to cite a fact like that because the righties are up in arms about having to close down their profit machines. The simple fact is that when the virus first appeared, it was far more dangerous than it is now. In fact, there are studies out there (find them yourself) that state that Omicron is helping make people immune to all of the COVID variants. But since conservaturds do not believe in science, there is no point in my telling you that, is there?
We’ve just had a pandemic where we were locked down masked up to make politicians feel better about the fact that there was nothing they could do to stop the spread and now the same politicians are going to hurt normal, civilian western and Russian businesses with sanctions to make them feel better about the fact that there is nothing they can do to stop the Russian military invasion of Ukraine.
But Trumpy said it was going to magically disappear - in 2020. That statement had a ton of truth in it, just like all of Trumpy's statements, didn't it?

In the meantime, the world was through this before with the flu pandemic in the early 1900s. The exact same measures were taken and credited with saving lives then. But it appears that many want to repeat things over and over again. Do you know what Einstein said about that??
What I don’t understand is why don’t the Ukrainians build a weather generator and use that to take out the convoy of Russian Rhino tanks. I did exactly that on Red Alert 2 last night, worked a charm.
Well, if you joined the real world, you might have a grip on reality. :rolleyes:

From your standpoint, maybe, but not from others. WWIII? Are you aware of the looks on the faces of the Russian generals when Putie said to ramp up his Nuclear forces? Putie is only as strong as those who support him.

I think you need to pull your head out of your a$$ and realize that even the Russians are tired of Putie. And stop listening to Tucker and the other "conservaturds" that stoke fear at every opportunity they get.

There's nothing magical about what it happening with the virus - it's a natural progression in virus mutation. I know its not going to do any good to cite a fact like that because the righties are up in arms about having to close down their profit machines. The simple fact is that when the virus first appeared, it was far more dangerous than it is now. In fact, there are studies out there (find them yourself) that state that Omicron is helping make people immune to all of the COVID variants. But since conservaturds do not believe in science, there is no point in my telling you that, is there?

But Trumpy said it was going to magically disappear - in 2020. That statement had a ton of truth in it, just like all of Trumpy's statements, didn't it?

In the meantime, the world was through this before with the flu pandemic in the early 1900s. The exact same measures were taken and credited with saving lives then. But it appears that many want to repeat things over and over again. Do you know what Einstein said about that??

Well, if you joined the real world, you might have a grip on reality. :rolleyes:
The weather generator comment was a joke. I was comparing the war to Red Alert 2. I guess you kids are too young to know the game!

Also wtf does Trump have to do about this? We can all quote ******* presidents. Remember Biden telling people that they won’t catch covid if they get vaccinated? The most common flaw with this subject is thinking that Biden is any more competent than Trump. The office of the president has been a clown show for most of my adult life.

Comparing covid to the Spanish flu is laughable. The Spanish flu actively reduced the worlds population. Covid didn’t even come anywhere near this. More babies are born on average globally across two weeks than since records began of covid of deaths, most of which we know now are not caused by covid but simply “with covid”. All the savage death projections made in early 2020 never materialised.

Trump lives rent free in his head clearly. Some people left this plane of existence in 2016 and never returned to it.

@Tim Cook
Not good enough! Cut off Russia entirely! If we can make the Russian people really hate Putin, they'll remove him and put a sensible leader in place. Revolution every once in a while is a healthy thing.

Back