Apple purges 46,000 apps from its Chinese App Store

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
What just happened? Starting earlier this year, Apple began removing apps from its regional store at the behest of the Chinese government. Paid apps, or those with in-app purchases, must be licensed with a China-issued ISBN. Apple gave developers fair warning that unlicensed apps would be removed. To meet the deadline, Cupertino conducted its biggest purge yet on the last day of 2020.

Apple removed more than 46,000 apps from its China store on Thursday, marking the largest single-day purge ever. Games made up the vast majority of the deletions, with some 39,000 titles taken down. Notable examples include Ubisoft's Assassin's Creed Identity and NBA 2K20. Research firm Qimai said that only 74 of the top 1,500 games in China remain in the App Store.

Reuters notes the removals come after Chinese regulators began cracking down on unlicensed mobile software. In China, paid apps have to have an International Standard Book Number (ISBN) issued by the Chinese government. The country's issuance of ISBNs is very strict, in part due to censorship laws. For example, anything that references Winnie the Pooh was banned when viral memes mockingly compared the "silly little bear" to President Xi Jinping.

The ISBN rule does not apply to free games, however. Several F2P games remain in the store, including Call of Duty: Mobile, Honor of Kings, and Game for Peace, China's version of PUBG. Apple began warning about the takedowns in February, and several developers reportedly switch to a free-to-play model to avoid going through the ISBN application process.

Today's purge was the second this year. Apple removed nearly 30,000 apps over the summer, most of which were also games. Apple has not commented on the situation, and it is unclear how the mass deletions will affect its 30-percent take, but we can dabble in some educated speculation.

Most of the nearly 75,000 deleted apps were likely garbage that had made all the money they were ever going to make. As we have seen with so many other digital marketplaces, like Steam and others, fly-by-night developers flood the store with worthless apps to turn a quick dollar. Additionally, in July, Niko Partners analysts said that 97 of the top 100 grossing games in the App Store had legal ISBNs. So any impact is probably going to be minimal for Apple.

Permalink to story.

QuantumPhysics

Say whatever you want about China and the PRC, but NO Corporation wants to snub the Chinese market and they WILL do whatever they can to be a part of it.

Here you have 1.4 Billion people+ in two countries that are developing fast.

China has moved more than 500,000,000 people out of poverty in the last 20 years and they currently have a "middle class" larger than America's entire population.

I've lived in China for over 2 years (Mandarin language/ Business student).

While America is arguing over $2000 welfare checks, China is buying property globally and building infrastructure.

The future is clear and this is only the beginning.

The same goes for India.

Apple is moving production to India and they are going to end up with the exact same dynamic. India will gradually get wealthier as America gets poorer.

Endymio

NO Corporation wants to snub the Chinese market and they WILL do whatever they can to be a part of it.
Including aiding and abetting the most heinous of human rights violations, it seems. Doesn't make it right, now does it?

As for your lauding of China's middle class, given that China has only 2/3 the GDP of the United States, despite having over four times as many people to divide it up among, it's quite clear which nation has the higher standard of living.

India will gradually get wealthier as America gets poorer.
And yet, you're here in the US, instead of either India or China. Would you like to borrow some money for a plane ticket?

noel24

Including aiding and abetting the most heinous of human rights violations, it seems. Doesn't make it right, now does it?

As for your lauding of China's middle class, given that China has only 2/3 the GDP of the United States, despite having over four times as many people to divide it up among, it's quite clear which nation has the higher standard of living.

And yet, you're here in the US, instead of either India or China. Would you like to borrow some money for a plane ticket?
While I agree that China is a straight Orwellian entity, when It comes to quality of life You are confusing nominal (per capita) GDP with Purchase Parity GDP (per capita).
In US You pay order of magnitude higher for services, properties with decent access to job market, and if by accident You get sick while without decent Health insurance plan, You either die or get indebt for life, Yours and Your children, if They love You.
USofA quality of life is slightly overrated.

TomSEA

While I agree that China is a straight Orwellian entity, when It comes to quality of life You are confusing nominal (per capita) GDP with Purchase Parity GDP (per capita).
In US You pay order of magnitude higher for services, properties with decent access to job market, and if by accident You get sick while without decent Health insurance plan, You either die or get indebt for life, Yours and Your children, if They love You.
"You get sick while without decent Health insurance plan, You either die or get indebt for life..."

You're misinformed. I work with a first responder outfit and closely with numerous hospitals in the area. If you don't have coverage - yes, you'll still be treated. No one needing healthcare will ever be turned away based on ability to pay. Especially in emergency situations. And yes, you'll be billed. If you have insurance, no problem. If you don't and can pay some of the bill, fine. If you can't pay any, that's fine too. The bill will be either dropped or settled with grants, donations or other financial entities.

The U.S. Healthcare industry runs primarily from insurance payments. And is not even remotely impacted by the 1-2% who can't pay.

Last edited:

QuantumPhysics

If you want to hand me $10,000,000 in USD, I will gladly move permanently.

Other than that you can “___________”
(Censored)

Otherwise: AMERICA’s history of human rights violations in just the past 50 years alone ensures America can point fingers at no one.

Unfortunately due to the censorship on this website I can’t tell you exactly what I want to say but I assure you that I would tell you if I could. Publicly. Privately. However you want it.

Reactions: Reehahs and Gomos

QuantumPhysics

I think it’s important for people to recognize the fact that America has been living a quality of life that its own productivity does not justify. First America used slaves to do it and then America used illegal immigration to do it. Now America sets up corporations in poor Third World countries to work people for peanuts.

In the long run the 3rd world country benefits from that money-especially if they are smart enough not to go deep into debt while benefiting from that money. China has out thought and outperformed America and now the Americans are completely besides themselves wondering why they have fallen so far behind and why China is able to manipulate the entire global market without firing a single shot while America is now $27 trillion in debt and the people are arguing over whether or not they should get $2000 welfare checks.

I have lived in countries all over the world and the more I saw the more I understood the reason why America wasn’t competitive anymore. Now they are proving it.

You pointed out “healthcare“ as a reason why America is falling behind and I totally agree with you. Take a look at all the homogeneous countries that actually care about their people and one thing you’ll notice is that most of them have universal healthcare so that people need to worry about going bankrupt just to deliver a baby.

Is it any wonder why childbirth has been decreasing in America? Aside from the toxic environment and the toxic relationships...

m4a4

TechSpot Elite
If you want to hand me $10,000,000 in USD, I will gladly move permanently.

Other than that you can “___________”
(Censored)

Otherwise: AMERICA’s history of human rights violations in just the past 50 years alone ensures America can point fingers at no one.

Unfortunately due to the censorship on this website I can’t tell you exactly what I want to say but I assure you that I would tell you if I could. Publicly. Privately. However you want it.
Man, called out and you don't like it? Not surprising, considering...

And you talk about censorship as if you don't love it when it happens against people you don't like, or that you're not fine with it in general. As long as Apple stock makes you money, eh?

Besides, you won't move because (despite your praises for China, and shallow excuses against the US) you know deep down that it would be a nightmare for you comparatively. 10 million wouldn't have you living there for long (if you'd even follow through).

QuantumPhysics

And you talk about censorship as if you don't love it when it happens against people you don't like, or that you're not fine with it in general. As long as Apple stock makes you money, eh?

Besides, you won't move because (despite your praises for China, and shallow excuses against the US) you know deep down that it would be a nightmare for you comparatively. 10 million wouldn't have you living there for long (if you'd even follow through).

Censorship is Techspot’s right.

Censorship in China is their government and their people’s decision.

Censorship is the only thing stopping me from telling you both exactly what I want to tell you.

Reactions: Reehahs

toooooot

New laws to prevent those were needed long ago. These pieces of s*^&%s are taking advantage of people who are not aware of what is going on with these games.

Uncle Al

Interesting that Apple allowed this to go on for so long. Looks more like a "sacrifice" in order to give themselves a better appearance in the courts .... but only time will tell on that one .....

Reactions: Ludak021

Bulllee

As an erstwhile bibliophile I find the use of the ISBN being used as a tool of the Great Firewall unsettling.
Who knew?

SixTymes

Meanwhile, some of those apps where there for months and, others YEARS. they sucked more Millions from people.

Ludak021

New laws to prevent those were needed long ago. These pieces of s*^&%s are taking advantage of people who are not aware of what is going on with these games.
Apple users are unaware of their surroundings, I see no problem. Apple itunes milks them for 3 decades now. But that's ok, because it's Apple, right? And even if the same Apple gets 99% of their parts and products from China, it's still ok, because they are Apple right? Milking the people "the right way"...
smh..

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Apple users are unaware of their surroundings, I see no problem. Apple itunes milks them for 3 decades now.
Three decades? You could not even download a song in under 2 minutes three decades ago. Well, perhaps with a 56K modem. which in 1990 were beginning to come down in price. Kidding aside. I think you meant two decades, iTunes turns 20 in 8 days (01/09/2021).

Ludak021

Ok ok, what you wrote and nitpicked totally makes my points about Apple invalid.

You won the internet Sir. Gratz, and happy holidays. :)

PS. Obviously I meant from whatever time iPhone got out and iTunes moved to it and started charging per song.

Reactions: Cal Jeffrey

Deno Dieshe

Very poor reasoning mate.

Adi6293

Can the moderator please explain to me what was wrong with my post? Like seriously this site is a joke!!!!!! I said nothing wrong maybe you guys are in the bed with the Chinese?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! I want explanation!!!!

Burty117

Can the moderator please explain to me what was wrong with my post? Like seriously this site is a joke!!!!!! I said nothing wrong maybe you guys are in the bed with the Chinese?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! I want explanation!!!!
It happens alot here on TechSpot, I literally said hello to a member I hadn't seen post anything in a while and it got just outright removed with no reason.

Unfortunately they refuse to explain anything here or at most, you get 3 words from the dude who deleted your post and it's just snowflakey rubbish.

I've had to move on to using other tech sites as primary sources and I just read TechSpot these days, in the hope they stop filtering out so much conversation here. Yet weirdly allow proper crazy stuff to be talked about on here (5G causing COVID as an example, comments claiming it's true, just stay, say hello to another member who hasn't been around for a while, delete comment)...

Adi6293

It happens alot here on TechSpot, I literally said hello to a member I hadn't seen post anything in a while and it got just outright removed with no reason.

Unfortunately they refuse to explain anything here or at most, you get 3 words from the dude who deleted your post and it's just snowflakey rubbish.

I've had to move on to using other tech sites as primary sources and I just read TechSpot these days, in the hope they stop filtering out so much conversation here. Yet weirdly allow proper crazy stuff to be talked about on here (5G causing COVID as an example, comments claiming it's true, just stay, say hello to another member who hasn't been around for a while, delete comment)...
I just said few truth's about China and their government and poof my comment is deleted, its pathetic guys!! I think I will have to stop visiting this site all together, I watch Hardware Unboxed anyway so I wouldn't lose much