Apple releases first Snow Leopard update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

Less than two weeks after launching Snow Leopard, Apple has quietly released a 71.47MB update that will address a number of issues in the latest version of its operating system. Among them are unexpected DVD playback outages, problems with the auto setup features of Mail and certain SMTP servers, and unresponsiveness in Motion 4.

It also includes the latest 10.0.32.18 version of Adobe's Flash Player plug-in, which might have been accidentally downgraded with the move to OS X 10.6. But the list doesn't stop there. Other fixes address compatibility problems with Sierra Wireless 3G modems, issues with the Dock becoming unresponsive, a problem with the keyboard shortcut Command-Option-T bringing up the special characters menu and a few more.

The company also released a slew of updates for its older operating systems, along with an iMac Graphics Firmware Update (1.0.2.) that targets the ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro and ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT graphics cards and an update for Max OS X server. As usual, these are all available through the Software Update tool or Apple's Support Downloads website.

Permalink to story.

Seriously, Apple makes it look like nothing security related is in the update and when you look for it you end up with pages of information that MAY have something to do with a vulnerability. Its nice to fix it, but that doesn't exempt you from admitting the problems ever existed Apple.
Open, and honest... (just like our government, only when it WANTS to be open and honest)

Been using Mac OS X online for 8 years now, still waiting for a Virus, Trojan or Keylogger that isn't Windows centric to appear on my Anti Virus Scanner.
I'm not saying Mac malware doesn't exist, it's growing by the day; but only an ***** relies on their OS to protect them without a 3rd party security suite looking over it's shoulder whatever the platform.
By comparison the fastest, most reliable Vista box I have ever used is backed up and reformatted every 3 months just to keep it that way......
My issue with Snow Leopard is it's half speed OpenGL and User Interface scores compared to Leopard 10.5.8 in XBench, when it's graphics drivers and embedded code mature I'll fully adopt.
Till then keep bashing the rocks together guys :)

Considering the number of reports of problems with DVD drives, incompatibilities, bugs and potential security problems with this release, why would ANYONE want to buy a MAC? Apparently they are giving the same level of software coding and bug checking to their ow mac software as they do to the bug-ridden windows crap they produce.

I am *absolutely* not a fan of Mickey-Soft, but let's face it. Microsoft, when releasing a new OS/patch/driver etc. has to contend with literally *millions* of potentially different hardware combinations, as they have NO control over what hardware their operating system will be ran on (beyond the obvious of meeting minimum, CPU requirements etc.)

Apple, on the other hand has 100% control over their hardware and drivers.

It's bad enough that Microsoft usually has a "quickly released" set of patches for their new releases, but it's really unconscionable for Apple to have to do the same.

Apple "quickly releasing" as set of "patches" isn't the sign of a "responsive and consumer oriented" company, it's a sign of incredibly sloppy quality control.

I can't believe you even had the nerve to post something like that Guest above me. EVERY OS has security patches, OS X is just a subset of BSD taken on a closed source route but they continually dump stuff back to the open source community (see: Webkit, Grand Central) so be sure you fully know what you are talking about before going on a tear that you aren't prepared to back up.

Post from a real account if you have some serious arguments against Apple, don't hide behind being a guest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back