Apple releases iOS 6.1 with greater LTE support, Siri movie ticket sales

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Apple today released the first major update to iOS 6 since the operating system was released in September 2012. The update, aptly named iOS 6.1, includes a handful of bug fixes as well as a couple of new features – most notably 4G LTE support for more carriers.

Specifically, the update provides LTE support for 36 additional iPhone carriers as well as 23 more iPad carriers around the world. Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of worldwide marketing, said the update will allow even more users to enjoy ultrafast Safari browsing, FaceTime video calls and iCloud services.

apple ios lte siri ios ios 6.1

iOS 6.1 also gives Siri the ability to purchase movie tickets in the US through Fandango while iTunes Match subscribers can once again download individual tracks to their iOS devices from iCloud. This feature existed early on but was recently removed in a software update.

Security-wise, Apple has added an option to reset their advertising identifier – a feature that caused quite a stir shortly after iOS 6 was released.

Those who update to version 6.1 will also find new boarding pass behavior in Apple’s Passbook app, new music playback controls from the lock screen, various tweaks to Safari and some backend changes made to Cupertino’s troubled mapping software.

iOS 6.1 is available now through iTunes or as an over-the-air update for iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, third and fourth generation iPads, iPad mini, iPad 2 and fourth and fifth generations iPod touch.

Permalink to story.

It'll be nice to find out exactly what's changed and what's fixed. but this is apple we're talking about, who we're kiddin.

I updated my iPhone 5 yesterday. The only feature I prayed for - and they have done, yes!- not to brick the phone as a result of the update.

As everyone stayed away from new product introductions a day before the new Blackberrys are introduced, only Apple will introduce something they claimed is new - a 128 GB iPad, WTF? Is it really new? I've never met anyone coming close to maxing out their 32 GB model. Apple should give it a break and let RIM intro their new phone; everyone else is...

Well, I installed it. Maps icon still tells me to drive off an overpass.

I can't see anything else. Pretty funny that a *.1 revision only fixes bugs, HA!

Back