Apple reportedly pitching ad-skipping technology to TV networks

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Apple’s reportedly been meeting with television network executives to sell them on their idea of what cable television should be. This time around, however, Cupertino is equipped with a new ad skipping technology that they hope will swoon providers into working with them.

Apple is pitching an ad skipping technology that would allow consumers to skip commercials according to people briefed on the conversations as reported by former Wall Street Journal tech writer Jessica Lessin. Apple chief Tim Cook and senior vice president Eddy Cue are said to have met with some media companies just a week ago to discuss the matter. We are even hearing that marketing chief Phil Schiller is now involved in the chats.

apple television ad skipping

Unlike other devices such as the Hopper DVR from Dish, Apple would directly compensate television networks for the lost revenue (and then some, I’d imagine).

It’s unclear exactly how Apple’s technology would work as consumers have grown used to fast forwarding through commercials on their DVRs. And that is precisely why cable companies are even entertaining the idea in my opinion.

The ability to fast forward through commercials has changed the landscape of television advertising, even if providers are too stubborn to publically admit it. With Apple’s idea, networks would be guaranteed to earn money – likely more than they are making with current models. Whether or not they are willing to break a system they’ve been entrenched in for many years remains to be seen.

Permalink to story.

Apple, why can't you just sign a deal with google to get the old YouTube App back? I hate how often adverts show up on the official YouTube app...

Ad skipping tech has been out for years on HTPC Communities called ComSkip. Not saying it was 100% accurate, but it was a start in the right direction. I record using MCE daily setup auto. I just jump over the commercials.

Good for Apple if they can pull this off, though companies like Comcast the runs Hulu/Hulu Plus are ad ridden services. Even their own clone streaming service has ad ridden in there.

What Apple and Google need it to get rid of ads on their smart phones and tablets.

@ tipstir, I use both apple and driod phones... have never seen an ad on either... they can't stop you from installing an app that delivers ads, that is the end consumer choice to do so.

Ad skipping technology will anger ad companies so much xD.

Maybe... but maybe not. They probably get mad now because they're buying air time that people are fast forwarding through. If Apple provides the cable companies a means for their customers to skip ads, then the advertisers just won't buy any airtime from them anymore. That'll mean lost revenue for the cable companies, and that revenue will have to be replaced.

So be prepared to pay a monthly fee (or just have a larger bill) to use Apple's ad skipping technology. It's like the Free app vs the paid Ad-free app model on your smartphone, just migrated to cable. You want cheap shows, you get ads. You want no ads, then pay up.

I don't think this is a bad thing. I'm all for more choice for the consumer, but I'm not getting my hopes up for some great new cable service with out a price increase.

Ad skipping technology will anger ad companies so much xD.

Maybe... but maybe not. They probably get mad now because they're buying air time that people are fast forwarding through. If Apple provides the cable companies a means for their customers to skip ads, then the advertisers just won't buy any airtime from them anymore. That'll mean lost revenue for the cable companies, and that revenue will have to be replaced.

So be prepared to pay a monthly fee (or just have a larger bill) to use Apple's ad skipping technology. It's like the Free app vs the paid Ad-free app model on your smartphone, just migrated to cable. You want cheap shows, you get ads. You want no ads, then pay up.

I don't think this is a bad thing. I'm all for more choice for the consumer, but I'm not getting my hopes up for some great new cable service with out a price increase.
Knowing cable companies they will add this charge to everyone no matter whether you use it or not.

Yes if you want commercial free programing your going to pay for it, AGAIN.
For those to young to remember, that was cables attraction in the first place. You paid for the programming so no advertisers were necessary.
Then they slowly started adding commercials a few at a time on selected channels to get you used to the idea, before the all out slam of commercials everywhere.
The only exception being what are now premium channels that once weren't that you get to pay for again.
The whole time your bill went up, programming went to hell and their profits went through the roof.
I told them to kiss where I can't two years ago, moved internet to dsl and put up an antenna.
I don't miss them or the bill and get all the commercials I can stand for free.

Do people still watch regular TV? I ditched mine for Netflix and have never looked back. I don't want to me told what I can watch and when I can watch it, I want the choice myself, and Netflix gives me that. When will these companies wise up and realise they need to change. They can't use the same business model for ever, they need to evolve.

Do people still watch regular TV? I ditched mine for Netflix and have never looked back. I don't want to me told what I can watch and when I can watch it, I want the choice myself, and Netflix gives me that. When will these companies wise up and realise they need to change. They can't use the same business model for ever, they need to evolve.

I have a tuner card in my PC and windows media player works as my DVR. Then I hooked my computer into my TV and the audio into my receiver. Netflix is great, and I use it a lot, but for sports and news you need over-the-air TV or a cable package.

I think it's great as an option. At least I hope it's just an additional option. Nobody likes choices taken away from them or forced into a change.

In terms of the application, it mirrors free-to-play games now. Continue to use it as you always have. But if you want something "better", then pay a few bucks (more).

I'm speaking a little tongue-in-cheek, having cut that cord more than 2 years ago. I tried comskip but had limited success. I ditched that effort with the conclusion that my wireless keyboard and/or Roku remote both could get me past commercials in just a few seconds.

SiliconDust HDHomeRun --> WMC recording to NAS --> Plex Media Server --> Roku --> TV.

Add in remote potato and I can manage my series settings and content from any computer, iPad, or phone. No need to pay more. I'm fine with what I have already, thank you very much.

Some people buy into regular TV because certain channels, are clearly not designed for Netflix in mind. Or they don't have any real way of drawing enough interest, to actually justify pushing that content to others. Of course then you're stuck with the basic crap, before you can get the channels you want. Which in turn just jacks up the prices.. they really need better packaging anymore.

It may come somewhat as a surprise to you but more people the world over watch regular TV rather than subscribe to Netflix. Then again, maybe you haven't realised that Netflix is not available in all countries in the world. Evolution takes time. We didn't evolve from neanderthals to homo sapiens in a couple of generations and neither will the switch from regular TV happen overnight.

I haven't watched commercials with DirecTV for over 10 years...Programed 30 second skip and hit that button 5 or 6 times and my show is back on. So this "New" technology has been around a long time in hidden forms. Netflixs is old content..Yeah cool concept but I want new content. So DirecTV DVR and 30-second skip has changed my world... I couldn't ever see going back..I see people watching commercials and I'm like wow..How much of their life do they waste on those things.Only commercials I watch are the Superbowl ones...LOL

Yes, most people watch regular TV. Netflix is mostly shows that no longer air on regular TV. Netflix does not have many shows and will never offer many of them. Also, sports are nice live. I just record everything (except sports) and fast forward through commercials. I prefer that, as I can stop for ones I want to see (mostly TV promos and movie trailers).

Back