Apple responds to customer backlash over new Maps app

Leeky

Apple's decision to replace Google Maps with its own iOS 6 app has triggered a wave of criticism from iPhone owners. Thousands have complained of misplaced labels for businesses and landmarks as well as missing roads and, in some cases, entire towns. Perhaps even worse, others have reported errors such as rivers being split in half and the misplacement of San Francisco's Golden Gate Bridge.

The new Maps app relies on Yelp for its local content data, such as landmarks and businesses, which many iPhone owners have found to lack the accuracy and level of detail as Google Maps. The new app does offer at least some advantages over the old version, however, including turn-by-turn guidance, real-time traffic information and a Flyover view.

apple responds criticism maps app

"We launched this new map service knowing that it is a major initiative and we are just getting started with it," Apple spokeswoman Trudy Muller said. "We are continuously improving it, and as Maps is a cloud-based solution, the more people use it, the better it will get. We're also working with developers to integrate some of the amazing transit apps in the App Store into iOS Maps," she continued.

Even with the negative publicity surrounding the Maps app, it's unlikely to slow momentum of Apple’s iPhone 5 sales, which all come with iOS 6 pre-installed. Apple's online store is already citing a 3-4 week delivery window after smashing records with over two million purchased on the first day of pre-orders. Stirring the pot, Nokia says that its maps are far better, offering the product comparison below.

apple responds criticism maps app

Permalink to story.

Nokia maps are awesome! I can totally vouch for that! The offline mode is especially useful when roaming (high friggen data costs)

Lol Typical response I'd expect from Crapple. They shipped an unfinished product; not even the most *****ic of fanboys would argue with that.

Misinformation is worse than no information at all.

Yeah I use nokia maps day in day out on an old n86 and works flawlessly works offline but even online uses next to nothing in data am really devabing now lumia or s3.....hmmmmmm

"Thousands have complained of misplaced labels for businesses and landmarks as well as missing roads and, in some cases, entire towns. Perhaps even worse, others have reported errors such as rivers being split in half and the misplacement of San Francisco's Golden Gate Bridge."

Apple's response: We take no fault nor blame in this mishap. We told them to put the buildings, roads and rivers where our maps indicated they were.

This is why I haven't put iOS6 on my phone. Google maps is an amazing app. If I could jailbreak my 4s with iOS6, I'd put google maps back on it.

You can actually put Google Maps back in iOS 6 as a web app. Simply go to maps.google.com and tap on the arrow to Add to Home Screen.

This is why I haven't put iOS6 on my phone. Google maps is an amazing app. If I could jailbreak my 4s with iOS6, I'd put google maps back on it.

yeah I know they are working on an independent google maps app right now. Although I'm not sure how much time it should really take considering it used to come by default.

No accuracy comparison?

That'd be useful, but tough to test. I guess maybe compare the amount of "this is not my destination" hits the app got from its users? Although that'd be really easy to skew.

No accuracy comparison?

Google Maps, let alone iOS' Map data, is not even close to Nokia's Navteq.

As for accuracy, it depends to what type of accuracy you are talking about. GPS geolocation is pretty standard, so the accuracy of OSes to pinpoint your location is pretty much even. Now if you meant the accuracy of location results, then Nokia wins. Again, it all comes down to Navteq; their data has not only been around for longer, but from owning a GS3 (I had a Lumia 900 before) I can tell you that Nokia's maps give you more accurate results, especially results for locations that have been either recently relocated or renamed.

I do find Google Map's Street View almost indispensable for me nowadays though, but if I were to choose, I'd go for Nokia Maps for location data and accuracy alone. Google Maps only really has Street View going for it.

I use NDrive app on my Samsung Galaxy S3. It is superb, works offline all the time, extremely accurate turn-by-turn navigation. And offcourse Apple banned the app from iOS for their obscure reasons!!! Go figure.

IOS 6 software ruined my Ipad2 and GOOGLE MAP IS GONE :( I want to see a back lash against Google.
This company gained our love and trust over the years by giving the world street view al of a sudden they pulled the rug (google maps) under us. Why? Money? How much more goddamn money you want, GOOGLE you are already soo fricking rich.

Now, give us our map back.
Why so many stupid people in the position to make such a important decision... Remember the COCA COLA's changing the original coke to new coke. Remember what happened after that, their sales plummeted. So, what they did; they wnt back to original coke.

We shall see what will happened to google, they will learn their lessons just like cocoa cola....

IOS 6 software ruined my Ipad2 and GOOGLE MAP IS GONE :( I want to see a back lash against Google.
This company gained our love and trust over the years by giving the world street view al of a sudden they pulled the rug (google maps) under us. Why? Money? How much more goddamn money you want, GOOGLE you are already soo fricking rich.

Why so many stupid people in the position to make such a important decision... Remember the COCA COLA's changing the original coke to new coke. Remember what happened after that, their sales plummeted. So, what they did; they wnt back to original coke.

We shall see what will happened to google, they will learn their lessons just like cocoa cola....
Is this a joke or is it some kind of sarcasm that I don't understand cause it was Apple who made the decision to pull Maps from their iOS 6 not Google.

@ Guest
I hope you're kidding. Google did not remove Google Maps from iOS 6, Apple did...

Come on! it's not a Google's problem. it's Crapple removed the app and replaced with their crapped app.

OS 6 software ruined my Ipad2 and GOOGLE MAP IS GONE I want to see a back lash against Apple.

This company gained our money over the years by giving the world street view al of a sudden they pulled the rug (google maps) under us. Why? Money? How much more goddamn money you want, APPLE you are already soo fricking rich.

We shall see what will happened to Apple, they will learn their lessons just like cocoa cola....

....There I fixed it for you

I have a solution the to crApple iPhone5 problems & lack of features: Download an app from Apple store called "iForgive". This app will help fanatic loyal Apple customers to stay inside Apple box and forgive all mistakes, limitations & restrictions that Apple is good at. :)

Same, refusing to update! Not really interested in jailbreaking though. Guess I'll just have to wait with this OS till they force the next one on.

Nokia maps is the bomb....am from the Caribbean and it's just great how the map works!!!

Apple never release something if its not perfect right?

Siri - Beta apps, still in beta after a year
Maps - I would say it is in beta since it is not working properly and missing a lot.
IPhone 5 is a joke, as was Iphone 4S

Apple is going down and the only thing saving them are the isheep people.
To all the ISheep out there, continue worshiping a company that sue others for having a rectangle phone with round corner, but steal clock design from Swiss company. Apple you rock!

Back