Apple said to be working on Google Glass-style augmented reality glasses

Shawn Knight

Staff member

In a bid to expand its product portfolio amid slowing iPhone sales, Apple is reportedly exploring the potential of an augmented reality set of glasses that sound an awful lot like Google Glass.

Sources familiar with the matter tell Bloomberg that although it’s still in an exploratory phase, Apple has reportedly met with potential component suppliers and even gone so far as to have ordered a small quantity of near-eye displays from one supplier for testing purposes.

Should Apple decide to proceed with a consumer product, sources say it won’t be unveiled until 2018 at the earliest.

Anyone that has kept current with Apple news shouldn’t be surprised by the development. The Cupertino-based company has been buying up augmented reality and virtual reality companies left and right over the past couple of years and has even spoken publicly about its interest in the space.

Some of its more recent acquisitions include Swiss motion capture company Faceshift, German augmented reality firm Metaio, Kinect developer Primesense, AI image classification systems startup Perceptio and San Diego-based startup Emotient.

It’s possible that Apple purchased some of these companies with the intent of using technology for its Titan car project but that’s pure speculation on my part. Speaking of, it is believed that Apple has moved away from the idea of creating its own self-driving vehicle and is instead focusing on developing autonomous driving software that automakers could utilize.

Permalink to story.

Let's see if these meatheads can pull off what Google miserably failed at. If they do, I'd love to see the tons of acid faces at Google... Well not exactly, I don't want to see Apple succeed either.

It failed to pass the acid test the first time and I am doubtful it can on the 2nd go around. Too many people are serious about not wanting their every move tracked and it will be interesting to see if the laws on Stalkers might be applied. I know there are MANY companies out there that banned their employee's from wearing them to work because of proprietary, trademark, and corporate secrets concerns, not to mention HR related issues too. Doubtful that Apple will be able to change the way these people thing anytime soon .....

Back