Apple says goodbye to AirPort, exits the Wi-Fi router business

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Apple is exiting the Wi-Fi router business, at least for now. The Cupertino-based company has announced it is ceasing production of the AirPort Express, the AirPort Extreme and the AirPort Time Capsule Wi-Fi routers.

Models won’t be disappearing from store shelves immediately, however, as Apple will continue to sell through its existing inventory via retail stores, Apple authorized resellers and online at Apple.com. Furthermore, the tech giant has committed to continue to provide hardware and software support and will post knowledge base articles in the coming weeks to help guide customers as they transition away from AirPort-branded products.

Apple didn’t cite a specific reason for its decision but really, it’s not difficult to understand why. When the first AirPort products were introduced way back in 1999, wireless technology was in its infancy. These days, Wi-Fi is so commonplace that it’s a shocker if a product doesn’t support it or if you aren’t blanketed by coverage at all times.

With so many options on the market across a broad range of price points and feature sets, virtually everyone can get what they want from other brands. What does Apple bring to the table to help differentiate it from the sea of competitors? Not enough, apparently.

Apple hasn’t ruled out the possibility of one day returning to the business. A spokesperson told Engadget that the company may revisit Wi-Fi routers if it can make a meaningful contribution to the industry.

Lead image via WCCFTech

Permalink to story.

I purchased an Airport Extreme several years ago for the simple reason that my ISP provided router would crash when 10+ wifi devices were connected.

They look great and wifi throughput over 5ghz is incredible! Range is also fantastic in our three story house as well.

Will keep using it until it goes boom!

Is becomes more and more clear that Apple has lost its hardware genius and visionaire!
Since Tim Cook, hardware development stands still or products are simply stopped. (Cinema display, airports, magsafe,...)
Not to mention the software (iphoto, imovie,...)
Everything just fitted well and was georgious and genial! Wifi, macbook, soft,... A superior ecosystem!

Nowadays, what do we have? A bleeding ecosystem!
Gray macbooks, a trashcan, usb-c, overpriced iphones,...

What is his strategy? Nothing else I expect from a financial guy, draining current products until they are dead!

I purchased an Airport Extreme several years ago for the simple reason that my ISP provided router would crash when 10+ wifi devices were connected.

They look great and wifi throughput over 5ghz is incredible! Range is also fantastic in our three story house as well.

Will keep using it until it goes boom!

I think AirPort doesn't work well with lightning connections *groan*. Probably one of those divisions that doesn't meet the profit margins expectations to be deemed as "worthwhile", so killed off.

Back