Apple sells 4 million iPhone 4S smartphones on opening weekend

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Apple has announced that they sold over 4 million iPhone 4S units on opening weekend. This is more than double the sales figures of the iPhone 4 in its first weekend last year and right on par with estimates that analysts set for the device last week.

More than 25 million customers are already using iOS 5 which was released for compatible iOS devices last Wednesday and over 20 million people have created an iCloud account.

“iPhone 4S is off to a great start with more than four million sold in its first weekend—the most ever for a phone and more than double the iPhone 4 launch during its first three days,” said Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. “iPhone 4S is a hit with customers around the world, and together with iOS 5 and iCloud, is the best iPhone ever.”

Despite what many perceived to be an underwhelming product launch, it’s clear that millions of users are still clamoring to get their hands on Apple’s latest handset.

Last week we reported that pre-orders for the new iPhone had topped 1 million in just 24 hours. Most analysts figured Apple would sell between 2 million and 3 million 4S handsets on opening weekend but Carl Howe from Yankee Group takes the prize as he pegged Cupertino to move 4 million units.

The 4S went on sale October 14 in the US, Canada, Australia, the UK, France and Germany. For the first time ever, the phone launched on three of the top four US mobile carriers; AT&T, Verizon Wireless and Sprint. 22 more countries will get the 4S on October 28 with 70 countries having availability by the end of the year. It comes in three sizes: 16GB for $199, 32GB for $299, and 64GB for $399 with a two year service agreement and is available in black or white.

Permalink to story.

Can't say I agree with apple in any of it's business venues including hardware and software but congratulations on a successful launch!

paulwuzhere said:
Can't say I agree with apple in any of it's business venues including hardware and software but congratulations on a successful launch!

I completely agree.

It's mostly the same apple fanboys that keep buying every "new" iphone that comes out,over and over.

Guest said:
It's mostly the same apple fanboys that keep buying every "new" iphone that comes out,over and over.
Are you sure about that? Because I personally know a person in real life that got a iPhone 4S and it is his first "smartphone" he has ever purchased. On the flip side, I know a girl in real life who owns an iPhone 4 and is switching back to Android as soon as her carrier allows an upgrade, avoiding the 4S.

Some college kids are already making an andoid alternative to Apple's Siri. They call is Iris.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X420muJzTy8

I like how those who pre-ordered the iPhone 4S from AT&T on 10/8 still don't have their iPhones even though they had plenty to sell in-store on 10/14!!!

Well, Apple market share in mobile phones worldwide is aprox 5.6% that's aprox the same percent of users that buy Mac's ower PC's. So Apple has the same user base/fanboys that constantly buy it's toys and that user base probably won't change over time, so Apple is pretty much the smallest player in town, insignificant at an international level scale. ROTFL

Knowing apple clients (or zombies), I would not be surprised that the majority of the phones sold are IPhone users upgrading. As far as stats and people I know, including iPhone users, most are going to Android based cells. Lets see how many more times Apple can sell its users the same cell!!

Guest said:
Knowing apple clients (or zombies), I would not be surprised that the majority of the phones sold are IPhone users upgrading. As far as stats and people I know, including iPhone users, most are going to Android based cells. Lets see how many more times Apple can sell its users the same cell!!
Ironically enough, bashing Apple every time they have success and touting Android makes you no less of a zombie than Apple fanboys themselves.

Why don't you start seeing the bigger picture and accept the fact that not everyone is a tech savvy person and not everyone gives a **** about custom ROMs. Apple makes a great smartphone running iOS, HTC also makes great smartphones that run Android. Why can't you just leave it at that and accept that not everyone likes the same thing.

Some people think vanilla ice cream is the best, some people think chocolate ice cream is the best, then some people like the wild and crazy flavours. Now translate that into how people view smartphones. Different strokes for different folks.

yes you are right...and that means that the stupidity its more powerful and will reign the world....as always...and again yes you are right...at what cost? Lol and all of this hype was created by the dead of steve jobs....no mames im sick of seeing steve jobs even on my fu ck ing soup...and as far as i know thats a Sect...yes apple

Well, Apple market share in mobile phones worldwide is aprox 5.6% that's aprox the same percent of users that buy Mac's ower PC's. So Apple has the same user base/fanboys that constantly buy it's toys and that user base probably won't change over time, so Apple is pretty much the smallest player in town, insignificant at an international level scale. ROTFL

Yeah, they only rank #35 on the Fortune500. Pretty insignificant. Trolltard.

1977TA, to be fair Guest was speaking on an international level. The Fortune 500 is US based companies.

BTW, no name calling please.

1977TA smallest player in town and insignificant at an international level scale in mobile phones business as Guest explained before but you seem to read it backwards since you didn't understood the phrase in the first place.
Aside from that on the the rich scale of events with what does that help you if Apple is rich ? do you sleep better at nights ? no more Microsoft eating your market share nightmares ? does Apple gives you food for free ? or there's an app for that too ? or there's an app that makes you as rich as Apple is today ? I don't think so, so STFU.

Yes I'm sure,three guys at my job have not missed out on upgrading their iphone since the beginning.

Guest said:
1977TA smallest player in town and insignificant at an international level scale in mobile phones business as Guest explained before but you seem to read it backwards since you didn't understood the phrase in the first place.
Aside from that on the the rich scale of events with what does that help you if Apple is rich ? do you sleep better at nights ? no more Microsoft eating your market share nightmares ? does Apple gives you food for free ? or there's an app for that too ? or there's an app that makes you as rich as Apple is today ? I don't think so, so STFU.
I get that you don't like apple, neither do i, but i would hardly call the company which makes one of, if not, the most popular smartphone on the planet the smallest player in town nor insignificant on an international scale.

Not sure what your Apple being rich rant was all about, all 1977TA did was point out that Apple in the US and worldwide is one of the most profitable businesses

aj_the_kidd they have an aprox 5.6 percent market share in mobile phones business that's very insignificant and small.
iPhone might be the most popular smartphone on the planet but only for the planet of Apple fanboys, others that aren't fanboys by any means don't give a **** about that phone so don't call it popular for all the planet when it's not.
Apple might actually be one of the few profitable business in the US but does that help you with something ? cause it sure doesn't help the rest of the world with something or do you think that an increasing corporate bank account like the one of Apple automatically translates in a cure for all the diseases in this world ? be real poor kid.

Countless of kids die every day in this world by starvation and poorness so Apple richness sure doesn't help them not dying, the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer, so while Apple is getting richer others are getting poorer that means even more will die by starvation and poorness, count that next time when you do the math.

-Please don't flame me for this, not dogging apple people for this- Something thats bugging me, how does apple get away with selling people a phone, thats in the same case as their old one, with the same screen, wireless capabilities and "upgraded" hardware that was out when the original iPhone 4 was released? 1 GHz dual-core ARM Cortex-A9 Really?... Also the iOS 5, isn't that 100% compatible with the iPhone 4? Sure it has some upgrades but are they worth $300+ dollars with a 2 year contract? Sure it can take 1080p video but its still a cell phone lens, which means it won't be able to house a sensor large or advanced enough to make it look good on an HD display, will definitely look great on the 640 x 960 3.5in display.

I'm sure its a great phone but coming from "The most innovative" company of our time, couldn't there be more for the price tag?

Just my $0.02 and for the record I do use an Android but I have used Windows Mobile 5.0-6.5, Windows Phone 7, Blackberry and iPhone. I'm not a fan boy. I purchase what fits my needs at the time. Heck I still miss my monochrome nokia with snake...

Guest said:
aj_the_kidd they have an aprox 5.6 percent market share in mobile phones business that's very insignificant and small.
iPhone might be the most popular smartphone on the planet but only for the planet of Apple fanboys, others that aren't fanboys by any means don't give a **** about that phone so don't call it popular for all the planet when it's not.
Apple might actually be one of the few profitable business in the US but does that help you with something ? cause it sure doesn't help the rest of the world with something or do you think that an increasing corporate bank account like the one of Apple automatically translates in a cure for all the diseases in this world ? be real poor kid.

Countless of kids die every day in this world by starvation and poorness so Apple richness sure doesn't help them not dying, the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer, so while Apple is getting richer others are getting poorer that means even more will die by starvation and poorness, count that next time when you do the math.
That 5.6% market share keeps rising every year, so dont act like its insignificant especially when Nokia, with the #1 market share, pussied out and went to Windows for backup, not to mention the fact that every other vendor has at least 10+ models availiable. Yes i would say that the iPhone is the most popular or at the very least top 3 most popular smartphone on the planet. The reason why Android is as successful as it is because of the iPhone, so whilst you claim not give a **** about iPhones, even though you posted on an iPhone topic, developers do, which is why you have so many great Android phones to choice from now. I dont like Apple but i do give a **** about iPhones, they have some nice features which are now part of my SGSII. I bet if you polled everyone on this forum about which is the most popular smartphone, not the best, I'm taking strictly about a popularlity contest the iPhone would win hands down.

I'm not going to into your take on poverty and i will just leave it at that
paulwuzhere said:
how does apple get away with selling people a phone, thats in the same case as their old one, with the same screen, wireless capabilities and "upgraded" hardware that was out when the original iPhone 4 was released?
Its because they can, they know people will buy regardless

aj_the_kidd any market share will rise and sink according to it's user fan base, so since Apple user fan base is at 5.6 percent how do you think that will rise even more ?
The reason why Android is so successful might be because of the iPhone but you know why ? because there are more people that don't like Apple products than those that like them, and since Android is not an Apple product there are more people that likes it than those that like Apple products.
The Android smartphones today are a natural evolution of the mobile phones and smartphones that Nokia, Samsung, Motorola, HTC, LG, Sony Ericsson and others have created since ages back then and not something that Apple claims to invent. For you own knowledge HTC was the first to create a Microsoft-powered smartphone in year 2002 and the first Microsoft 3G phone in year 2005, also their first major product was made in year 2000 and was one of the world's first touch screen smartphones. Also Symbian OS was among the first mobile OS'es in the world to power smartphones check out a true smartphone like Motorola A1000 which was released in year 2004 with a touchscreen display. Also Nokia had made smartphones based on Symbian years before iPhone was released. iPhone pretty much didn't bring anything new to the table of mobile phones it just step in the game of mobile phones in year 2007.
iPhone owe it's success to the other mobile phone makers that created smartphones long before Apple did it in 2007. Apple owe it's iPhone success to the ones that invented and improved the mobile phone through ages like Motorola who developed among the first commercially available mobile phones in year 1983 and Nokia which developed a cellular phone that went use in year 1981. Since then the mobile phones have changed dramatically reducing their size adding new features and improving performances. So when Apple step in with their mobile phone in 2007 there wasn't much to improve they just used their marketing team to try to sell an overpriced phone to the masses.

Guest said:
aj_the_kidd any market share will rise and sink according to it's user fan base, so since Apple user fan base is at 5.6 percent how do you think that will rise even more ?

I think you under estimate the marketing (aka cult-like-propaganda) prowess of Apple. Every year the iFlock gets new iSheep, its actually rather sickening.

Guest said:
The reason why Android is so successful might be because of the iPhone but you know why ? because there are more people that don't like Apple products than those that like them, and since Android is not an Apple product there are more people that likes it than those that like Apple products.

No argument here, but i will say that the number of people who like Android and Apple are far out numbered by those who have little to no opinion on either

Guest said:
The Android smartphones today are a natural evolution of the mobile phones and smartphones that Nokia, Samsung, Motorola, HTC, LG, Sony Ericsson and others have created since ages back then and not something that Apple claims to invent. For you own knowledge HTC was the first to create a Microsoft-powered smartphone in year 2002 and the first Microsoft 3G phone in year 2005, also their first major product was made in year 2000 and was one of the world's first touch screen smartphones. Also Symbian OS was among the first mobile OS'es in the world to power smartphones check out a true smartphone like Motorola A1000 which was released in year 2004 with a touchscreen display. Also Nokia had made smartphones based on Symbian years before iPhone was released. iPhone pretty much didn't bring anything new to the table of mobile phones it just step in the game of mobile phones in year 2007.
Whilst other vendors did bring out a variety of touch screen smartphones, what Apple did bring new to the table was its UI, this was the big difference, a very user friendly UI, not to mention at the time it looked visually very appealing and modern, at the time
Guest said:
iPhone owe it's success to the other mobile phone makers that created smartphones long before Apple did it in 2007. Apple owe it's iPhone success to the ones that invented and improved the mobile phone through ages like Motorola who developed among the first commercially available mobile phones in year 1983 and Nokia which developed a cellular phone that went use in year 1981. Since then the mobile phones have changed dramatically reducing their size adding new features and improving performances. So when Apple step in with their mobile phone in 2007 there wasn't much to improve they just used their marketing team to try to sell an overpriced phone to the masses.
Apple made smartphones relevant to everyday people, so yes whilst others did lead the way they brought it to another level and their improvements helped spark the smartphone industry to what it is today

Back