Apple sets a new overnight record for iPhone pre-orders

Shawn Knight

Staff member

apple iphone best buy target wal-mart pre-orders iphone 6 iphone 6 plus

Apple on Friday revealed that pre-orders for the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus have set a new record. The admission is an indicator that consumer demand for a larger-screen iPhone is indeed real.

The Cupertino-based company sold more than nine million handsets during last year’s opening weekend for the iPhone 5s and 5c and if pre-orders are any indication, they’ll likely eclipse that number – perhaps by a significant margin – with this year’s offering.

Or in other words, Apple better be prepared to back up the Brinks truck next weekend because they’ll be generating an enormous amount of money.

The new handsets went up for pre-order at 12:01 am this morning but the sheer amount of traffic to Apple.com meant that many were unable to place an order. Instead, shoppers were met with a message that read, “We’ll be back. We’re busy updating the Apple Store for you and will be back soon.”

The site remained offline for nearly two and a half hours which prompted many to take to Twitter to vent their frustrations. Those trying to order through their wireless carrier experienced similar server overload issues as well.

As of writing, estimated ship delays on Apple.com for the iPhone 6 Plus, for example, are listed at 3-4 weeks while the soonest AT&T could get you the phone would be sometime between November 9 through November 27.

At this point, the best way to try and snag an iPhone on launch day would be to check your local Apple Store or a retailer like Best Buy, Target or Wal-Mart.

Permalink to story.

Apple take our money? I'm more worried about the carriers taking our money...that's the true equity suck.

It's a delicate walk, to produce enough product for the pipeline to whet the appetite of buyers, yet not over produce. Demand that exceeds availability feeds demand. But the reality is that with new product lines, and with maintaining secrecy in development, and with the high quality assurance that Apple demands, it is very difficult to stockpile enough product for a high demand item. There are not that many manufacturers that can "turn on the spigot," and produce enough product in a short enough time span to stay ahead of the news rumor mongers, and industrial espionage guys from other companies. Privacy is a big deal with any tech company. "Little leaks" feed the buying frenzy, but it is very difficult in a short time frame to do these massive rollouts. Apple does a good job with it. Its not seamless, but nothing that puts a load on a supply chain like their product rollouts is easy. .... sign me "former" supply chain guy.

I waited for apple store for 10 mins (at 3am eastern), then picked a iPhone 6, silver, 64gb on the ATT site, and received a ship date between sept 23 and oct 2. Not too bad.

Preordered online down here in Australia from the local Apple website. Took an hours wait due traffic volumes. Ordered a 6 in gold with 64gb. Present for my wife. Not a bad wait for a website only open an hour before.

The iSheeple can't wait for Apple to take their money for a product that still hasn't caught up to it's competition. At least they finally get to bask it the big screen goodness that many of us have been used for years.

There was a time when I would have considered purchasing an iPhone but Apple was quickly surpassed by the likes of Google and hasn't led in this field in years.

And how many of those purchases were scalpers, hmm? I bet $1200 iPhone 6's will be pretty easy to find on Ebay.

The iSheeple can't wait for Apple to take their money for a product that still hasn't caught up to it's competition. At least they finally get to bask it the big screen goodness that many of us have been used for years.

There was a time when I would have considered purchasing an iPhone but Apple was quickly surpassed by the likes of Google and hasn't led in this field in years.

They might not be leading in Hardware but the majority favor iOS over Android.

I may be forced to pick up the 6 since I may switch to Sprint and I cannot transfer my locked phone.

"You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time"

So by now you should realize that Apple didn't exist in Abraham Lincoln's time, or he would have said, "Apple comes pretty darned closet to fooling all the people, all the time".

I'm starting to think the only reason for coming to Techspot, is that you don't have the will, or the stamina, to stand in line for an iPhone.....I know I certainly don't. When I feel the need to be annoyed by other people and their children, I go to a genuine zoological garden. I manifestly refuse to mingle with the mock zoo denizens that are iSheep.

(OK, this is my first post in a couple of days, forgive the pent up frustration).

Last edited:
Don't be a sheep. Don't be a mug. Don't let yourself being manipulated by the marketing masters who convince you that your life will be easier and you will be happy if you buy, buy, buy, send, spend, spend. You don't need another freaking 'new & improved' mobile phone. Think, WAKE UP!

You should hold off pre-ordering the iPhone 6

Let’s take a brief look at all the problems that occurred with previous iterations of iPhones:

iPhone 4 – The iPhone 4 suffered the biggest glitch in the history of the series, with reception issues so poor that journalists dubbed the issue “Antennagate.” Apple eventually fixed the bug that caused the reception signal bars to drop — or even disconnected the call — when users gripped the phone near the antenna.

iPhone 4s – The iPhone 4s suffered serious battery issues, thanks to location services that were discretely draining battery life. Eventually, Apple fixed the issue with a software update that made active location services more conspicuous.

iPhone 5 – When the iPhone 5 was released, a concurrent iOS update replaced Google Maps with the disastrous Apple Maps; after much negative media coverage, the company brought Google back into the App store. In addition, Apple recently agreed to replace faulty iPhone 5 batteries after nearly two years of complaints. (The fix mainly applies to phones sold prior to March 2013.) Also of note, some early iPhone 5’s needed a power button replacement.

iPhone 5s – Hardware flaws were relatively rare in the 5s, but most of the issues came with the new operating system, iOS7. iOS7 failed to send iMessages, and some users found themselves facing “the blue screen of death” — a phrase previously associated with Windows users.

The newest iPhone, launched to millions of users, will inevitably have infuriating hiccups that will make you want to tear out your hair. Unless you’re a die-hard early adopter willing to be a guinea pig for Apple, wait a few months. Then you watch the complaints fly by as you sit comfortably with your functional iPhone … and full head of hair.

Don't be a sheep. Don't be a mug. Don't let yourself being manipulated by the marketing masters who convince you that your life will be easier and you will be happy if you buy, buy, buy, send, spend, spend. You don't need another freaking 'new & improved' mobile phone. Think, WAKE UP!
Dude, you realize this is heresy, er, don't you? ;)

They might not be leading in Hardware but the majority favor iOS over Android.

Dumbed down OS for dumb people

[/QUOTE]

Dumbed down OS for dumb people[/QUOTE]

android isn't' that bad, but its catching up to the polish of ios, you should try it

if you judge a phone by specs alone, you are not qualified to make a comment.

all specs are not created equal... are you are the type to say an 15 year old p4 is faster then the latest i7?
I'll tell you, if you tell me what the hell that has to do with a smart phone.

Are you trying to take charge of this discussion with BS and pure hyperboly?

Back