Apple sets April ship date for iPad, pre-orders next week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

When Apple unveiled the iPad earlier this year, we were told it would be available around the end of March. Rumors began to swirl recently suggesting shipments had been delayed. However, today the company has put an end to all speculation and finally announced a firm date for the official debut of its anticipated tablet device: the iPad will go on sale starting April 3 with pre-ordering opening on March 12.

Only the Wi-Fi models will be available initially with a suggested retail price of $499 for 16GB, $599 for 32GB, and $699 for 64GB. Customers who want to the more expensive 3G-equipped version will have to wait until "late April" to pick up their iPad. That same timeframe was given for the device's release in Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Spain, Switzerland and the UK -- in both its Wi-Fi and 3G versions.

As part of the launch, Apple says it will also officially pull the curtain off its online bookstore and 12 new apps that have been designed specifically for the device to take advantage of its larger real estate. The new iBookstore will feature books from both major and independent publishers, including Hachette Book Group, HarperCollins Publishers, Macmillan Publishers, Penguin Group, and Simon & Schuster.

Permalink to story.

I still don't see a reason why anyone would actually buy one. Except for trying to be "cool" or something. :|

enough of the geek bashing trashing.

We will finally see if the general public, the majority of the consumers like this thing and so... will it be a big hit or a humongous flop.

It will be interesting to see how many pre-orders they get for this product. With all the bad jokes and previews floating around the web, lots of potential buyers have probably changed their minds. And I agree with them. :)

I think it'll be a moderate to big hit, just feeding off the Apple fanboys and general "wow" factor of those who don't really understand the tech as much. For what it's worth, Apple may have found a really interesting niche market - those who aren't technical, but would like to have some technical abilities. A laptop may be intimidating, but the iPad won't be (if they can use an iPhone, they can use an iPad).

Just how popular it gets will depend on how quickly the more powerful and standardized (as in more PC than iPhone appliance) competition can get on the market as well. Anyone who knows their stuff may see the merits of an iPad, but would prefer the flexibility of a true computing platform. Unless, of course, they are Appleheads, in which case emotion and loyalty usually win out over logic. And no, I'm not dissing Apple fans, fanaticism and loyalty exist across many brands and platforms, it's just an observation.

I would not buy this but I imagine it will do reasonably well with all the very devoted apple fans. It's an interesting concept and I think someday this kind of thing will be common place like a sort of digital notebook.

I think this device will be limited by the lack of Flash support. Flash technology is widely used and generally accepted as a standard for web development.

If I were to purchase a tablet it would be mainly for web browsing and streaming video. Apple has limitations on both. For $500 I'll wait for a Win7 tablet to come out, which will happen eventually b/c Win7 has built-in touch support. Also with Win7 you get a fully functional OS instead of Apple's modified iPhone OS.

I still don't understand why the icons on the iPad are the same size as on an iPod/iPhone, yet there are still only 4 of them per line... maybe it's so you can see your nice wallpaper or something.

Also the only reason why there isn't any flash is because this would ruin Apple's app store - people would just play games online or use flash-based apps on the web instead. Less apps = less money for Apple.

I don't think it will do so well. Trying to surf with out flash or java is like trying to fly without wings. You're just not gonna get to far. I use my phone for a few sites when I can't get to my computer but if I want to really surf...I get on my desktop where the cool stuff is. First company to make a awesome mobile browser that supports flash and java and works well with touch will be the winner I think.

Though the Ipad has some benefits, I wouldn't pay the price they are asking for it. It just seems there are to many products that do the same thing. For example, you will have someone who has a cellphone, Ipad, and laptop. The cellphone you can make calls, browse the internet, download, etc. You can't make calls with the Ipad but you can browse the internet, download and read books. The Ipad is basically a over glorified cell phone. Then you have laptop which can't make calls but is more powerful and can do more than a Ipad. It just seems we are spending a whole bunch of money for things that all do the same thing.

"The new iBookstore will feature books from both major and independent publishers, including Hachette Book Group, HarperCollins Publishers, Macmillan Publishers, Penguin Group, and Simon & Schuster."

I wonder how many 'independant' publishers are going to be available and what hoops they'll have to jump through to get their stuff available. Will the selection actually compete with Amazon? And will the prices be competitive? Will reading on an iPad be fun or a pain?

I'm sorry. I dont think its cool. I've had a iPhone 3G for over a year now and I am getting away from Apple as soon as possible. I thinkthe iPhone was quite disappointing in all its glory.

I think advertisments are just tricking people into thinking this is some cool, popular stuff.

Libraries are nice, use them... you can even meet cute girls (or guys, w/e)

@trillionsin
Good point about the libraries :p, though the iPad isn't supposed to be mainly an e-book reader anyway..
I think it'll awkwardly be successful, as I believe that Apple have yet again found a market segment that isn't exploited, people who wants cool e-readers that does plenty of other stuff and doesn't actually wanna read :D
But joking aside, Apple's heavy promoting will probably drive this...

The real teller, I think, will be the monthly sales numbers that come out for May onwards. That's after the buying surge we'll see when the Apple faithful rush out to buy in the next couple of months. I'm really not sure it's going to skyrocket, especially with all of the competing, equally fully-featured tablets that have been unveiled in the past three months.

Despite it's problems I think it will be a big seller just because it's an Apple product, I mean isn't that why the iPod is the best selling portable media device? I have to admit that's why I'm considering buying one.

Yay, now everyone can browse the intarwebz without flash support. Seriously, I have been waiting since apple announced the "iPad" to come out an say "Just kidding!"

I have half a mind to go through the dictionary and to attempt to copyright every word in it with a little i in front of it. So when ever Apple tries to make a new product I'll make thousands :p

hello...

it's beautiful, but too expensive for me & i'm sure will be underused, so sorry for now it's a no GO.

LOL @ paynetrain007, yeah just go & register all domains too ;)

cheers!

As much as I think this thing is a joke, Apple is good at one thing. Marketing. After watching their video on it I almost wanted to own one. These things will sell, but for sure not from my pockets.

I get the whole ipad not meeting the people's expectations, but I can't see for sure the competition out there has really tried to 'reach' the consumer showing why their product will be better than the ipad. I haven't heard any news about the HP slate since CES10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back