Apple stops issuing iOS 14 security updates

Daniel Sims

Staff
Why it matters: When Apple launched iOS 15 last fall, it promised that users who didn’t want to upgrade from iOS 14 would still get critical security updates. That option seems to have recently disappeared, as Apple confirmed this week it always intended to get all iOS 14 users onto iOS 15.

The last security update for iOS 14—iOS 14.8.1 (along with iPadOS 14.8.1)—rolled out in October, but this week 9to5Mac reported that iOS 14 users could no longer update to that version. The only option that appears now is 15.2.1. Apple then confirmed to Ars Technica that this is intentional, and that the ongoing security updates for iOS 14 were only meant as a temporary grace period.

Apple never mentioned this when it first announced and launched iOS 15. In fact, the features list for iOS 15 as of this writing still says (near the bottom) iOS 14 users can still get security updates without mentioning a limited period.

Conversely, Apple offers the latest macOS security updates for the most recent version of the OS—Monterey—along with the previous two, Big Sur and Catalina. Catalina is a year older than iOS 14.

The only difference with these last two iOS versions is that iOS 15 is compatible with every iOS 14 device, so there are no hardware conflicts. Still, Apple could’ve been a bit less opaque on its security update policy.

Permalink to story.

My IOS 14 never needs updates

Cellular data is OFF

It's a F*^$^%g phone

That's all I want
That's all I need

Oh, and .....
No malware here!

I would question why you need any iPhone or iDevice if you're only going to make calls. There are many cheaper options for that.

He might have an older iPhone that he updated to iOS 14. Still, the only reason I can think of to use an iPhone without data would be if you had games on there that don't require a connection, or if you transfer all data over Bluetooth or a cable.

Apple are still offering 7 years of updates as the iphone 6S is the minimum requirement for iOS15.

What I dont understand is that the EU crack down on Apple for not using USBC but does absolutely nothing about Android device manufacturers that dont support their devices for more than a year or 2.

He might have an older iPhone that he updated to iOS 14. Still, the only reason I can think of to use an iPhone without data would be if you had games on there that don't require a connection, or if you transfer all data over Bluetooth or a cable.
True

Older "free" iphone

I also have a free android that will never be connected to the Internet

Apple are still offering 7 years of updates as the iphone 6S is the minimum requirement for iOS15.

What I dont understand is that the EU crack down on Apple for not using USBC but does absolutely nothing about Android device manufacturers that dont support their devices for more than a year or 2.
Because they are not equal.

An iOS device that is 1-2 versions behind can no longer download app updates, or apps at all. You cant download the previous version of apps either. Your device is forced out to pasture.

Meanwhile, so long as you are running lollipop, you can still download most major software on android, and if an app is updated past your version, you can still download the last version that supported your device. Android is much more like windows in that regard. And since much of the android OS functionality has been moved to apps that are updated by the store, not by OS version, security can still be relatively maintained even on old versions.

Ever try to download a new app on iOS 7? Even iOS 9 cant download much today.

"ongoing security updates for iOS 14 were only meant as a temporary grace period"

While Apple developers frantically tried to fix the worst bugs in the dumpster fire that was iOS 15 at launch.

Because they are not equal.

An iOS device that is 1-2 versions behind can no longer download app updates, or apps at all. You cant download the previous version of apps either. Your device is forced out to pasture.

Incorrect both times. Apps still support older iOSes though any individual app may drop support for an iOS version at any time. And you also get the option to download/keep older versions of apps.

Meanwhile, so long as you are running lollipop, you can still download most major software on android, and if an app is updated past your version, you can still download the last version that supported your device. Android is much more like windows in that regard. And since much of the android OS functionality has been moved to apps that are updated by the store, not by OS version, security can still be relatively maintained even on old versions.

Ever try to download a new app on iOS 7? Even iOS 9 cant download much today.

What are you using an iPhone 4 to do? A phone that came out 12 years ago. Or an iPhone 4S from 10 years ago? Are you using an 10 to 12 year old Android phone?

And of course these phones still do the things they could when Apps and the OS timed them out of support. It's not like they stopped working. But nobody wants to use a 3.5" screen anymore with a slow processor.

Last edited:
Incorrect both times. Apps still support older iOSes though any individual app may drop support for an iOS version at any time. And you also get the option to download/keep older versions of apps.
"can" does not mean "will". Apple charges app developers to maintain their apps, google does not.

If a developer abandons an old version of android, or stops publishing, their apps are still available to download on those older devices. If this occurs on apple, the app is gone, you cannot have it again.
What are you using an iPhone 4 to do? A phone that came out 12 years ago. Or an iPhone 4S from 10 years ago? Are you using an 10 to 12 year old Android phone?
You seem really hooked on the iphone 4 for some reason. You do know the 5s hasnt recieved an update in several years and falls under this catagory, right?

And for the record: you clearly do not work with the gerneal public. I have seen people using samsung galaxy S3s, iphone 4s, and ipad 2s to this day. Guessw which ones cant get apps? Hint: its not the galaxy users.
And of course these phones still do the things they could when Apps and the OS timed them out of support. It's not like they stopped working. But nobody wants to use a 3.5" screen anymore with a slow processor.
Hmmmm....nope. Sorry, but once the app stops updating, eventually the back end catches up with them. Saying an iphone 4s can do everything today that it could do when new when the app store doesnt even connect today is just...blatantly ignorant.

"can" does not mean "will". Apple charges app developers to maintain their apps, google does not.

I have many old iPhones still in service. This is not a theoretical. It's what I experience.

If a developer abandons an old version of android, or stops publishing, their apps are still available to download on those older devices. If this occurs on apple, the app is gone, you cannot have it again.
Yes, this is true.
You seem really hooked on the iphone 4 for some reason. You do know the 5s hasnt recieved an update in several years and falls under this catagory, right?

You brought up 2 specific iOSes and I adressed them specifically with those models. Check your previous post.

And for the record: you clearly do not work with the gerneal public. I have seen people using samsung galaxy S3s, iphone 4s, and ipad 2s to this day. Guessw which ones cant get apps? Hint: its not the galaxy users.

Hmmmm....nope. Sorry, but once the app stops updating, eventually the back end catches up with them. Saying an iphone 4s can do everything today that it could do when new when the app store doesnt even connect today is just...blatantly ignorant.

I work with the general public every day but must work with people who upgrade their phones about every 5 years or so as I have not seen even a Galaxy S7 or iPhone 6 outside of our home.

My claim was that the iPhone 4 does the same things it could when it was timed out of OS support. Plus many apps were updated well after then and users could have updated to those versions. And that 10 to 12 year old phones have very limited use nowadays. If you're decrying that decade old mobile tech is not well supported, well you'll get few people arguing about that.

And an iPhone 4s can connect to the app store today. My iPad 3 just did (same OS) and updated a game. Lay off the ignorant comments.

Last edited:
Back