Apple tablet to be unveiled at January 27 media event?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Update: WSJ sources indicate the tablet will be introduced at the event and will ship in March.

Original: According to All Things Digital, the highly rumored Apple event is real, and it's coming later this month. Citing sources in the know, the site reports that Apple will hold a media event later this month to announce a "major new product."

The get-together will take place at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco -- a venue Apple commonly uses -- on Wednesday, January 27. Previous rumors suggested the event would occur on Tuesday the 26, but it seems that was wrong.

As for what's being shown? Well, naturally, that's a secret -- but it seems obvious to expect Apple's ever-elusive tablet PC. Let's hear your hopes, predictions and conspiracies in the comments.

Permalink to story.

You wouldn't have if it started "Apple iPhone 4G"... but it didn't, and I definitely stopped reading at "tablet".

Its going to redefine e-readers just as the iphone redefined phones.

According to a bloke at work.

I really want to believe it I really do, But until it becomes somehow more official I just can't believe it. The news already seems to be generating quite a bit of a buzz and I heard a couple of months ago that orders were being sent overseas to start moving/generating some of the parts so now just might be the time. I just want a taste, just to see what the heck this thing is gonna be. I love their new products

Why is media in lust with this Tablet news? This sort of thing doesn't have a market. This stupid device is going lie between two well made products (the Laptop and iPhone/Touch) with no future. Who really wants to drag around a 7" iPod Touch or a laptop smaller than 13" with a price tag of somewhere in between? This device is a bit like a shoe that only covers your toes.

I can't wait to see Apple's new invention. Sounds like a cool concept. Apple always invents things first.(not!)

Look at the iPhone and how it turned the cell phone industry around. Now all new cell phones are touch screen because of Apple's huge success with the iPhone. This is good because it really pushes technology and creates innovation in the industry. But, creating an Apple Tablet that might be a cross between the iPhone/Touch and a MacBook is nice, but nothing really innovative. The tablet will compete against the netbook market and with a price tag of $1K, i'm not sure how successful it will be. A typical netbook costs less than $500 and provides basic functionality of most people. Since I already have a MacBook, why would I buy this new device? I also have a new iPod Touch, so what's the incentive?

This won't be as huge of a success as the iPod or iPhone, but it does have the "cool factor". I look forward to seeing it, but won't be buying it anytime soon.

Apple has the perfect platform to start selling ebooks. With a large touchscreen, wireless browsing capabilities with safari and a low price point, it could be quite exciting.

If it costs $1000 then its for something else. No idea what. Serious Tablets have never caught on except for meter reading :)

For those that said "stopped reading at"... Obviously you didn't. Everyone gets it, you don't like Apple, thats great. But apparently they stir enough emotion in you to post about it.

I don't care much about an Apple tablet, I think its no good, its years too late. Esp with Lenovo's $500 netbook with the flip touch screen. The only way you can beat that one is perhaps with battery life.... But that netbook is going to be able to push 8 hours if you try.

Take a iPod touch, enlarge it, and that's what it will be, no flash, more money for Apple, and less for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back