Apple testing 7-inch screens for iPad mini, says report

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Reports out of Taiwan indicate that Apple could be looking to manufacture a 7-inch iPad in the near future. The United Daily News believes that Samsung and AU Optronics have sent 7.85-inch screen samples to Apple for consideration in future products, likely an “iPad mini.”

Rumors of a smaller iPad have been circulating since the original was released and are gaining momentum once again. Former CEO Steve Jobs said in an earnings call a year ago that Apple won’t make a 7-inch tablet because the screen is too small to express the software. Jobs believed that developers wouldn’t be happy writing app code to accommodate varying screen sizes in the same product line.

But now that new CEO Tim Cook is running the show, things could very well change. A smaller iPad would be even more portable than current models and would cost significantly less, allowing Apple to gain market share at a lower price point. An iPad mini could offer serious competition to Amazon’s 7-inch Kindle Fire which will be released on November 15.

Apple is widely expected to unveil the iPad 3 sometime in early 2012 based on the familiar 9.7-inch display. Although there haven’t been too many rumors on the new tablet yet, most expect it to include a Retina display which would put the effective resolution at 2044 x 1536. In August it was believed that trial production would start in October with Apple hoping to produce some 1.5 million iPad 3 tablets by the end of the year.

Permalink to story.

The report says that?? I didn't know reports could speak!
Transformers, reports in disguiiiiiise *whoo whoo whoo whooooosh*

Perhaps Tim will piss all over Jobs' grave while he's at it. That said, Jobs was wrong on this one, 7 inches if a pretty good size (no sexual innuendo intended).

I know allot of people that said the iPad was too big (mainly girls) and liked the size of the 7" galaxy tab but didn't quite like the how it operated, so this decrease in size and cost could be a winner, actually lets face its Apple so it will be.

doesn't matter who thinks its wrong or right or too small or too big, there is a market for it and it would sell like hotcakes.

I think the current iPad size is good. I hope they do not make a 7" size. That just feels like bloated smartphone. Really, why would anyone carry a smartphone and a 7" tablet? Especially when smartphones are nearly reaching 5" (4.7" HTC Titan). 10" is a big enough difference that it actually makes sense and having 2 screen sizes for the iPad just makes things unnecessarily more complex for developers.

Better yet make the regular Ipad $250. There is no need for 7". Its to small. I'll just use my phone. 10" seems to be just about right or even a little bigger would be nice.

...10" is a big enough difference that it actually makes sense and having 2 screen sizes for the iPad just makes things unnecessarily more complex for developers.

You are probably correct, and I don't know much/any about 7" screen sizes and who makes them. But, if they could keep the resolution the same (just higher pixel density) then it wouldn't change things for devs.

Has anyone seen that "Innotab" for kids? It's pathetic and priced at $80. Ipad needs a kid friendly version and smaller screen would allow for lots of bumber space.

Back