Apple to follow Samsung's lead, will reportedly price iPhone 8 at $999

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Samsung earlier this week pulled the curtain back on the Galaxy Note 8, its flagship for the second half of 2017 (and beyond). With the handset, Samsung is formally introducing consumers to a new breed of flagships at an ultra-premium price and that’s something that some are struggling with.

Turns out, it’s something you’d better get used to.

Sources reportedly familiar with the matter tell The New York Times that Apple’s high-end iPhone 8 will be priced around $999 for what we assume is the 64GB model with 3GB of RAM. For comparison, the Galaxy Note 8 checks in north of $900 (the cheapest I’ve seen thus far is $930 from T-Mobile).

That’s a lot of money but is it worth getting your feathers ruffled over?

Nobody is twisting your arm and forcing you to buy a top-end device. There are now more budget-tier phones than ever before (many of which are superb for the price), neutralizing the sting to your wallet a bit. After all, isn’t more choice and competition what people typically demand of an industry?

I’m not defending expensive phones, per se, but I’m also not mad that they exist.

Indeed, perhaps my only complaint is the fact that manufacturers and carriers try to divert your attention away from the fact that you’ll be paying nearly a grand for a smartphone with no money down financing and other purchase-time gimmicks. If you’re going to drop that kind of cash on a phone, fine – just know what you’re agreeing to pay when doing so.

Permalink to story.

I'll chime in on this as I am exactly the kind of person not willing to spend a grand on a phone. I'm upset because flagships used to cost $600. They now cost $400 more but add very little value at their new high price point.

What I expect at $1,000: A high energy laser integrated into the top of the frame.

What Apple should expect at $1,000: My continued use of the iPhone 6.

My iPhone 7 256GB Plus was $1000.

As long as the $1000 iPhone 8 gives me 256GB, I'm fine. I hear that there will be a 512GB offered, but 256GB is more than enough for my 4K video needs at current.

Maybe I'll go for a 512 next year.

To call it "a phone" is a mislabeling.

iPhone 4K/1080p is the most practical camcorder/ video editing on phone system ever. I love iMovie. It allows me to earn easy money on Youtube without the hassle of migrating video clips to my PC to edit. A $5 investment which has paid for itself thousands of times over. My Youtube earns over $2000 a month.

Last edited:
iPhone 4K/1080p is the most practical camcorder/ video editing on phone system ever. I love iMovie. It allows me to earn easy money on Youtube without the hassle of migrating video clips to my PC to edit. A $5 investment which has paid for itself thousands of times over. My Youtube earns over $2000 a month.

That's amazing, your phone is pretty much paid for by doing very little. I might be the same way with a different business, I may finance mine if I decide to get one.

I don't mind the price. There's plenty of cheaper choices. But damn it, give me 2x-3x more battery!

My iPhone 7 256GB Plus was $1000.

As long as the $1000 iPhone 8 gives me 256GB, I'm fine. I hear that there will be a 512GB offered, but 256GB is more than enough for my 4K video needs at current.

Maybe I'll go for a 512 next year.

To call it "a phone" is a mislabeling.

It's still just another phone. Are you not BigTruckSeries just using another nick?

This is sad news indeed. Not only will it be a device that won't be worth close to the RRP but it also gives other manufacturers an excuse to jack up their prices.

You always have the option to get the last gen flagship at a way lower price or just wait for those buy 1 get 1 deals that usually pop up during the holidays.

There are millions of starving Western Digital fans out there! Ditch the phone and upgrade your hard drives!

:)

Honestly, even if these new phones were under $500, there is not enough innovation or upgrades to intrigue me whatsoever. I make a very good living, and I live quite well, but that's also because I don't waste money on social status bullshit and incremental upgrades. I'll stick with my ancient 2 year old phone. :)

Can't wait to see my first one with a cracked screen, then I can wet myself laughing at the ***** that bought and broke it and won't pay to fix it!

There is a simple fix to this problem of stupidly expensive phones whether Android or IOS, don't buy them!

Still using my S4 mini as, shock horror it still works, and I'm not a gullible muppet.

No way in hell am I paying even $500.00 for a phone , I don't even get phone calls which is exactly the way I like it . If my phone rings it's always somebody who dialed the wrong number.

This is sad news indeed. Not only will it be a device that won't be worth close to the RRP but it also gives other manufacturers an excuse to jack up their prices.
I don't think thats the way the free market works especially in the mobile phone market where there are many players. If other manufacturers price their phones very high , it will be quite viable for others to price lower and gain a higher market share. Personally I am not worried

....[ ].....If my phone rings it's always somebody who dialed the wrong number.
You should answer those calls. It could be a Nigerian prince offering to make you wealthy beyond your wildest dreams. To the downside, it might be the IRS calling to tell you they've filed suit against you for back taxes. Oh well, at least now you've got a heads up on it, and can arrange payments over the phone...(y)

Back