Apple to restrict NFC chip access in iPhone 6 to Apple Pay

Shawn Knight

Staff member

apple iphone nfc apple pay payments

Apple faithful and technology enthusiasts alike wondered when the longtime near field communication (NFC) holdout would finally embrace the budding mobile technology. Everyone got their answer a week ago when it was revealed that the two new iPhones as well as the looming Apple Watch would arrive with such capabilities baked in.

For years, analysts and critics have argued that NFC wouldn’t go mainstream until Apple jumped onboard. And while it’s still too early to know whether or not those predictions were accurate, we now know that Apple – at least, initially – will restrict access to its NFC chip to Apple Pay.

The move isn’t entirely surprising as Apple did the same thing with its Touch ID a year ago. After a year of exclusive use, perhaps to gauge user interest or work on some behind-the-scenes bugs, Apple opened Touch ID up to third-party developers in iOS 8. Soon, we’ll be seeing apps from companies like PayPal and 1Password take advantage of Apple’s fingerprint scanning technology.

That said, it’s probably only a matter of time before Apple decides to open NFC up to third-party developers to tinker with. We know that Apple’s upcoming wearable will allow users to unlock their hotel room doors with a simple swipe which means third-party support is coming – perhaps sooner than it arrived for Touch ID.

Aside from mobile payments, what are some of your favorite uses for NFC? Let us know in the comments section below.

Permalink to story.

Nice. Apple takes an open platform and closes it for themselves :)

As dumb as it sounds, this happens everywhere in the tech world, often for a good reason.

Just couple years ago I was using Microsoft's Open XML library. This guy comes along, finds that it sucks and too complicated, and creates Closed XML, based on the former. Funny, but that's what most developers are using now instead.

Last edited:
Nice. Apple takes an open platform and closes it for themselves :)

As dumb as it sounds, this happens everywhere in the tech world, often for a good reason.

Just couple years ago I was using Microsoft's Open XML library. This guy comes along, finds that it sucks and too complicated, and creates Closed XML, based on the former. Funny, but that's what most developers are using now instead.
It will probably be unlocked in iOS 9 like TouchID was in iOS 8. But yeah, it is for a reason. They want to assure trust.

Even the old non smartphones like S60 series and smartphones, supported connectivity, either via Bluetooth or infrared. You could transfer a file between two phones without a hassle. Apple seems hate that freedom, so nothing like this is possible. You have to use the insecure cloud, which uses a lot of data bandwidth, which is very expensive in my country.

I can even transfer file form my Note 3 to my wife's G3 via WiFi using Total Commander. Well, I suppose so many people are just satisfied with so much less. It is people that like simplicity without features, because otherwise things becomes too complicated!

Not having NFC open to other developers and apps means that Apple Pay will get Apple a foothold in the NFC payment system on iphones before the competition has a chance to jump in. It's literally Apple cheating and starting the race before the gun goes off. If for example, they allowed a Google Wallet app on the iphone from the start and consumers had a choice, many people might choose Google Wallet. If they start off with Apple Pay however, it's more likely that consumers will stick with Apple pay and not switch to a different payment app later.

There's a lot of folks interested in the NFC world. That's because there's real money in it. Credit cards aren't processed for free. The folks that process the payments take between 5 and 50 cents on every purchase. Credit card processors, ISO's, account managers, pos companies, Apple... Everyone wants that couple of pennies residuals for processing payments. If you think Apple is going through all this trouble to build NFC payments into it's phones out of the kindness of their hearts you're sadly mistaken. They want that nickel from every transaction you use it. There's nothing inherently wrong with this, but I don't think it's commonly known.

For Android users, FYI you can probably already use NFC payments all over the place. Last night I used my HTC One M8 to pay my bill at CVS. Anywhere you see a little attachment on the top of the pin pad, you can probably use your phone to pay.

Here's some pin pads that I know for sure support NFC payments. (I've confirmed with this with the pin pad manufacturers, used my phone on the pin pad, or have installed the pin pad personally in stores and tested it out) Google pictures of these pin pads so you'll know them when you see them. Note, they do need the dongle attachment on the top of them for this to work. If they don't have the attachment on the top they will not process NFC payments.

Equinox L5200
Equinox L5300
Verifone 915
Verifone 925
Verifone MX870

My favorite use of NFC will be using as eTicket in daily commutation. Example whether a bus ticket or workplace's building access card, it will be hassle free.. (wallet's weight atleast will be reduced).

Thank you, Apple, for telling this.
Otherwise, I may have purchased iphone 6 already.
I hoped that there is Apps that can use its NFC to read smart card info. Now, I don't need to think about this.
I was in the crossroad whether to buy iphone or Android phone. I now decide to buy Android phone, Great!!

Even the old non smartphones like S60 series and smartphones, supported connectivity, either via Bluetooth or infrared. You could transfer a file between two phones without a hassle. Apple seems hate that freedom, so nothing like this is possible. You have to use the insecure cloud, which uses a lot of data bandwidth, which is very expensive in my country.

I can even transfer file form my Note 3 to my wife's G3 via WiFi using Total Commander. Well, I suppose so many people are just satisfied with so much less. It is people that like simplicity without features, because otherwise things becomes too complicated!

This is simply incorrect. There are 3rd party apps that can make this happen between phones, as well as AirDrop. For transferring files to a computer from iOS, you can connect through bluetooth.

Back