Apple wants judge to ban eight Samsung handsets from the US market

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Apple has presented a federal judge with a list of eight devices they want pulled from store shelves in the US. Judge Lucy Koh reportedly asked Apple for a list of offending devices following Cupertino’s favorable ruling over the South Korean electronics giant late last week.

All of the devices on the list are, unsurprisingly, smartphones. The unlucky eight include the Galaxy S 4G, Galaxy S2 on AT&T, Galaxy S2, Galaxy S2 on T-Mobile, Galaxy S2 Epic 4G, Galaxy S Showcase, Droid Charge and the Galaxy Prevail.

A decision was made in June to also ban the Galaxy Tab 10.1 tablet over concerns that it might violate one or more of Apple’s design patents. The company is now asking the judge to revoke that ban because the jury found it didn’t violate any design patents. They did, however, come to the conclusion that software on the tablet violates those owned by Apple – specifically, those relating to bounce-back and pinch-to-zoom features.

Koh has planned a hearing for September 20 to discuss the product bans although Samsung is asking for more time to prepare, it’s unclear at this hour if the judge plans to reschedule the hearing.

Furthermore, Apple is also planning to ask Koh to triple the damages they were initially awarded to $3.15 billion based on the jury finding that Samsung willfully copied the design of the iPhone in several of their smartphones. Samsung is planning to appeal the verdict all the way up to the Supreme Court if necessary.

Permalink to story.

Can't we all just get along? By no means are either company hurting in the device market. Apple has a large group of followers (zombies) because they produce a basically trouble free product as long as you can put up with their propitiatory software (iTunes). For those of us (myself included) who prefer the Android platform and are willing to deal with having to reboot the device every so often then just it be. There's enough followers out there for each product.

This is such bs ;-;
apple needs to calm the @#!$ down, b/c if this new iphone isn't pretty bitchin, well...*facepalm*

Wow. Apple can go die in a hole already. This goes well beyond patent trolling and it absolutely pisses me off...

There are SOME similarities between Apple and Samsung phones. The Galaxy Prevail looks a tiny bit like a Iphone in general shape. Then again it also resembles a playing card. You know rectangle with rounded corners. I wonder if the company that made/makes card games will sue Apple for copying the design of playing Cards. I can see it now. NEW IPHONE6 By Hoyle!!!!

There are SOME similarities between Apple and Samsung phones. The Galaxy Prevail looks a tiny bit like a Iphone in general shape. Then again it also resembles a playing card. You know rectangle with rounded corners. I wonder if the company that made/makes card games will sue Apple for copying the design of playing Cards. I can see it now. NEW IPHONE6 By Hoyle!!!!

Absolutely! Maybe Apple will sue Motorhead for recording "Ace of Spades"? :)

They so blatantly copied Apples design at the beginning...Any amateur could see that....Hopefully they learned there lesson and will come out with better products. I love Samsung but it was so obvious!

Samsung could design a round phone maybe similar in shape to an apple and patent it. So when Apple gets jealous they will have to pay Samsung to use THEIR design. Also they could make the phone icons spin in a circle like a Star Gate Dial.

Come on
look at all the Flat PC monitor and tell me they dont all look alike
Look at all the good old Flip phones and tell me they dont all look alike
Look at all the Pre smat phone slide out keyboard phones and tell me they dont all look alike

I can go on all day and im sure im not the only one.....

oh man im typing this on a keyboard that looks exacly like the one of the other brand ....

I really don't understand how Apple can hate Samsung so much, considering Samsung supply a majority of the components! Either way Apple are going way too far in this patent case, they are just trying to flush Samsung out of the picture, but it's hardly like Apple are getting any better in the first place, from the iPhone 4, to the 4S there was minimal difference, they're milking the court case as much as they are for their own products. Why can't Apple just realise that in the Software patents, Samsung are just utilizing a feature that actually makes it easier for their customers, you don't hear Nintendo (or whoever it was) sueing everyone of the Analog Stick Patent, or Activision sueing almost every other game company for using the same sort of structure for the game's main menu. Apple are just taking it too far. They've officially lost a customer.

This is how apple want to get rid of the competitor(s), after samsung, who's next? LG? sony ericsson? HTC?

They cant be a monopoly so they are just gonna boot out any real competition and use the crappy companies phones as an excuse.

Just wow. This "design patent" nonsense is just crazy.

Back in the day when all phones looked the same no one did this, its freaking common sense to make it in such a way that its practical. FFS do they want everyone else to start using triangle, octagon, hexagon, etc shapes because apple owns the patent on a mother****** RECTANGLE with rounded corners??!
How the hell did they manage to get that patent awarded in the first place, is the patent office on crack or something 24/7?

You don't see microsoft suing the whole world for having windows in their homes, even tho they probably could if they wanted to be like apple.

This is the most ridiculous BS yet with all these patent disputes!

Screw apple, I never bought their products and never will. This will only want me to stay away from them more.

Doing this only proves that they are no longer able to innovate and expand they current product mix.

This is actually good for samsung; they now have the opportunity to come up with technology/design far greater than the I-phone.

If Samsung is smart, they already have some updated devices in the pipeline.
I hope they kick Apple's butt next cycle. I noticed that my (international) Galaxy Note
isn't on the list. Other than the FIVE POINT THREE INCH SCREEN, it is exactly like
the G2. So why didn't they put the Note on the list?
Apple just wants the most popular devices that "compete" with the iJunk yanked.
I think this is going to backfire on Apple.

I tolerated Apple products but don't use them, but this aggressive type of behaviour from them is completely unacceptable. Do they have so much money now they can just do as they please and manipulate the courts and have any competition eliminated at the snap of their fingers?

I could be totally wrong here, but I don't remember to much "aggressive behavior" on Apples part about things like patent issues when Steve Jobs was alive and in charge of the company! When Steve was in charge I kind-a remember Apple being sort of a softer and gentler company, kind of like "peace" & "love" & "no nukes"! But since Steve's passing it appears that whoever is in charge has transformed the company from being something rather "groovy" and "hippy" to "blood thirsty"!

Doesn't Apple have anything better to do, like maybe design a better phone?

I could be totally wrong here, but I don't remember to much "aggressive behavior" on Apples part about things like patent issues when Steve Jobs was alive and in charge of the company! When Steve was in charge I kind-a remember Apple being sort of a softer and gentler company, kind of like "peace" & "love" & "no nukes"! But since Steve's passing it appears that whoever is in charge has transformed the company from being something rather "groovy" and "hippy" to "blood thirsty"!

Doesn't Apple have anything better to do, like maybe design a better phone?
Yea cause it wasn't Steve Jobs who said he is willing to drain the entire Apple warchest to take out Android and is willing to go thermonuclear on Android right? Suits just take time to setup and Steve happened to pass before they could all go on in force but he was there when this was starting up he was the leader.

Back