Apple will announce the iPhone 12 on September 15 (update)

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: Apple’s event will take place on September 15 at 10 a.m. Pacific from Apple Park. The announcement didn’t specify if the event will be streamed online although given the ongoing pandemic, it’s safe to assume that it will indeed be a virtual only event with no live audience. It’s even possible that the event could be recorded ahead of time and simply air at that date and time.

Update: According to Mark Gurman from Bloomberg, the September 15 event won't feature the reveal of the iPhone 12, but rather, new Apple Watches and perhaps updated iPads. The iPhone 12 unveiling will come sometime in October, Gurman notes.

Apple on Tuesday announced it will be hosting a media event on September 15 where it is largely expected to unveil its next generation of iPhones.

Apple has historically scheduled its fall iPhone media event in early to mid-September and 2020 apparently isn’t any different. Some had speculated that the reveal would be pushed back by a few weeks, perhaps into early October, due to the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic.

Cupertino usually launches its new iPhones about a week and a half after unveiling them. If that holds true this year, that'd put the launch on September 25.

Most expect Apple to announce as many as four new iPhones next week ranging in screen sizes from 5.4 inches to 6.7 inches.

All four are believed to support 5G wireless although a rumor from last week suggested only the highest-end iPhone 12 Pro Max will be compatible with the faster mmWave technology. Each will reportedly also feature OLED displays and be powered by Apple’s new A14 Bionic processor.

Image credit: Daniel Constante

Permalink to story.

Faster phone (not needed), more wifi ^& GB's,(not needed) more "stylish" (not needed)
and of course a HIGHER PRICE (really not needed).
See this year's boss, same as the old boss...
Not just Apple, but the entire phone industry.

I understand that Apple wants to keep the specs a surprise to drive stock hype, but since no one else can build "an iPhone", I really wish they could get us the info earlier instead of having to listen to the Youtube hypers who have half of the facts, but 100% of the anxiety to tell us about what they don't know (yet).

I understand that Apple wants to keep the specs a surprise to drive stock hype, but since no one else can build "an iPhone", I really wish they could get us the info earlier instead of having to listen to the Youtube hypers who have half of the facts, but 100% of the anxiety to tell us about what they don't know (yet).
I’m predicting 512GB storage maximum. I know you seem to want that 1tb, personally I’m fine with 256GB but I wouldn’t buy an iPad with less than 1tb now.

The iPhone 11 chip is already way more than fast enough for 4K HDR video editing and encoding. So I don’t really see what a performance increase could bring. Be nice if they could get the camera to do 4K120 HDR. Or other 4K slo-mo modes. But I think we’d need quite a significant jump in performance before we get that. Android devices are still mostly not even capable of 4K60 HDR where iPhones have been for a couple of years now. So Apple aren’t in any rush to upgrade us I reckon.

I won’t be getting this one, my 11 pro max feels like I’ve barely used it with the pandemic this year. Being stuck inside for 6 months has made me value mobile phones less than I used to when I used to take 40-50 flights a year.

I won’t be getting this one, my 11 pro max feels like I’ve barely used it with the pandemic this year. Being stuck inside for 6 months has made me value mobile phones less than I used to when I used to take 40-50 flights a year.
Your TV is probably shot

I’m predicting 512GB storage maximum. I know you seem to want that 1tb, personally I’m fine with 256GB but I wouldn’t buy an iPad with less than 1tb now.

The iPhone 11 chip is already way more than fast enough for 4K HDR video editing and encoding. So I don’t really see what a performance increase could bring. Be nice if they could get the camera to do 4K120 HDR. Or other 4K slo-mo modes. But I think we’d need quite a significant jump in performance before we get that. Android devices are still mostly not even capable of 4K60 HDR where iPhones have been for a couple of years now. So Apple aren’t in any rush to upgrade us I reckon.

I've recently been making 3 - 4 hour long videos on my iPhone. I desperately need more space. If not a TB, I'll take something in between 512 and 1TB.

My travel vlogs will be a lot longer. 512 just isn't enough. And I've got around 7000 photos on here as well.

I've recently been making 3 - 4 hour long videos on my iPhone. I desperately need more space. If not a TB, I'll take something in between 512 and 1TB.

My travel vlogs will be a lot longer. 512 just isn't enough. And I've got around 7000 photos on here as well.
You make 3-4 hour long videos on an iPhone? What on earth could you be filming? Sounds like you need a go pro with a battery door. That’s what I used to do night lapses of the stars that usually don’t work out very well because of light pollution.

You make 3-4 hour long videos on an iPhone? What on earth could you be filming? Sounds like you need a go pro with a battery door. That’s what I used to do night lapses of the stars that usually don’t work out very well because of light pollution.

YouTube videos.

iPhone, for me has been far more efficient than GoPro.

4K60fps videos on the go with ease.

High quality photos with instant sharing at ease.

The only thing I need is 1TB Storage.

Then I can make 10 hour 4K travel vlogs of business class flights and exotic locations.

I did 5 hours in South Korea, 6 hours Phillipines and 3 -4 hours worth of Dubai

Faster phone (not needed), more wifi ^& GB's,(not needed) more "stylish" (not needed)
and of course a HIGHER PRICE (really not needed).
See this year's boss, same as the old boss...
Not just Apple, but the entire phone industry.
Ok yeah, lets just stagnate progress because its "not needed" No one make new phones faster or anything! Lets stop doing that for about five years! Newer and faster phones come out every year. It is called progress. Get over it.

Cool. This phone is not marketed to you then. I just hopped on Apple this year. Picked up a 11 Pro Max because I wanted the best Apple had to offer. If I was just entering next year id go 12 Pro Max. Usually if you are looking to upgrade you want to skip a generation.

YouTube videos.

iPhone, for me has been far more efficient than GoPro.

4K60fps videos on the go with ease.

High quality photos with instant sharing at ease.

The only thing I need is 1TB Storage.

Then I can make 10 hour 4K travel vlogs of business class flights and exotic locations.

I did 5 hours in South Korea, 6 hours Phillipines and 3 -4 hours worth of Dubai
What YouTube videos are you filming thats 3-4 hours long? I’d say try a go pro, I think the colours are slightly worse than the iPhone but the stabilisation is way way better. Depends what you’re using it for I guess but generally I prefer my go pro to my iPhone. Oh and it easily does 4K60 just like your phone :).

Back