Apple will offer you $970 for a $52,000 Mac Pro

midian182

Staff member
WTF?! If you've ever taken something to a trade-in/pawn store, you'll probably know the pain of being offered a fraction of what you paid. But imagine handing over $52,000 for a Mac Pro and finding out the trade-in value is $970 just four years later. Who would perpetrate such a blatant rip-off? Step forward, Apple.

You might remember when Apple unveiled the new Mac Pro at its WWDC event in 2019. Designed for professionals, 3D artists, musicians, video editors, and other creatives, it starts at $5,999 but those who want the top specs can push that figure beyond $50,000.

David Imel, a researcher for tech YouTube channel Marques Brownlee, tweeted that they tried pricing the $52,199 Mac Pros at the company's office to determine their trade-in value. The machines can still be purchased from Apple's website, complete with Intel Xeon W processors and dual Radeon Pro W6800X graphics, for the same price, so one would expect Apple to offer a fair amount of that money for trade-ins. Sadly, the company thinks $970 is a fair amount.

Accepting Apple's offer would mean the Mac Pro price has depreciated by more than 98% since its purchase in 2019. You could always put the money Apple is offering toward a new iPhone 14 Pro or a 12.9-inch iPad Pro, though you'd have to pay the difference as both devices cost more than $970.

Apple is applying these generous trade-in offers to more than just Mac Pros. Another person tweeted that they were offered $720 for their late 2021 MacBook Pro M1 Max, while a Redditor wrote that their base model M1 Pro laptop trades in at $725, marking a 63.7% drop in value in just a single generation.

Apple isn't alone in this sort of behavior, of course. Most companies will offer stupidly low trade-in prices on expensive goods that are only a few years old—you're usually better off selling them on eBay. But firms do occasionally offer promotions in which buyers are offered generous amounts for their old devices if they buy a specific product. Samsung, for example, offered up to $1,200 off the Galaxy Z Fold 3 and a free Galaxy Watch when trading in an old device, even one that was cracked.

Permalink to story.

More gaslighting of the perpetually outraged. The 2019 Mac Pro was, like all the others, offered in a wide range of configurations, which their automated trade-in tool doesn't know (or care) about:

"...the 2019 Mac Pro is available as a tower starting at $5,999 and a rack beginning at $6,499..."

It's also worth nothing that the trade-in credit is good no matter what condition the device is in ... it can be dented, rusted, and fully non-functional, and you'll still get that credit.

Not a rip off… they don’t need to offer a trade-in at all. No one needs to offer a trade-in. If the new buyer was smart they’d sell to a third party.
It'll be a rip off in most cases (where you'd get faaar more from a 3rd party, as you mentioned).

But it also conveniently means that you still spend a lot more money buying another Apple device (while the old one is no longer in the market to "lose" them money), so win-win-win for Apple.

More gaslighting of the perpetually outraged. The 2019 Mac Pro was, like all the others, offered in a wide range of configurations, which their automated trade-in tool doesn't know (or care) about:

"...the 2019 Mac Pro is available as a tower starting at $5,999 and a rack beginning at $6,499..."

It's also worth nothing that the trade-in credit is good no matter what condition the device is in ... it can be dented, rusted, and fully non-functional, and you'll still get that credit.
I love reading comments by devoted Apple fanboys. Maybe you should Google "gaslighting" because you obviously don't know its meaning.

"it can be dented, rusted, and fully non-functional, and you'll still get that credit." hahaha so generous of Apple! People shouldn't be posting negative things and "gaslighting" the internet, they should be praising Apple for its generosity!

I love reading comments by devoted Apple fanboys.
The last Apple product I used was the IIe, about 1985. As you weren't yet born then, would you like a synopsis of its features and characteristics? I'm a "fanboy" only of the free enterprise system, not any individual member thereof.

People should be praising Apple for its generosity!
People should understand the function of any business is not to display "generosity" or signal their virtue, but to offer products at a price consumers are willing to pay. That's it.

I couldn't resist, so I went to Apple to get a trade value on my 12.9" iPad Pro m2.
$450 for a $2250 purchase a year ago, and it is still the same price new.

But I'm still making out better than David Imel did. That poor dude is getting the nipple clamps from Apple.

The last time I took up the offer of an iPad buyback through the Apple Store, it was actually handled by an e-waste subcontractor - so I suspect the offered rebates are based upon e-waste market prices.

I love how it costs more than 3x as much as better PCs. You can get a SLI dual 4090, threadripper 3990, 16TB storage, 256gb RAM pc for around 15-17k. This, by the way, is far more powerful than a mac pro. But with the fantastic apple tax, now you can add the price of a decent car to your computer before buying it. But be careful, since once you buy it, it is automatically worth below 1000.

In short: Apple fanboys will love it

The last Apple product I used was the IIe, about 1985. As you weren't yet born then, would you like a synopsis of its features and characteristics? I'm a "fanboy" only of the free enterprise system, not any individual member thereof.

People should understand the function of any business is not to display "generosity" or signal their virtue, but to offer products at a price consumers are willing to pay. That's it.

Free enterprise system is a joke when major companies just gobble up all the little companies that innovate then collude and drive up pricing.

Free enterprise system is a joke when major companies just gobble up all the little companies that innovate then collude and drive up pricing.
Yawn, not this nonsense again. Major companies like Google and Facebook were tiny startups a couple decades ago, and Apple itself began in a garage when I was in high school. 30 years from now, half the large tech companies in the world will be bankrupt or bought out-- most of them by companies that haven't even been started yet today. Try again.

If you know Apples margins.. they sell brand their product margins are literally 75%-80%. So a iphone literally cost $200 to make they sell for $1200. $1000 profit for each phone they sell. That's how they horde $500Billion dollars net profit in Ireland and tax havens. Their computers the same that$52000, I'd say probably cost them $1000 dollar. $51000 profit to dumbasses who buy them and give them 90% margin instead of buying parts and building it themselves. They literally made a monitor that is sold without a stand and the STAND for a gd monitor itself is $250 or something like that that should be included in a gd monitor.

Albeit, they have invested heavily into their infractructure and stole US money from tax payers by not pay much taxes on profit. I'm pretty sure they lobby and send money to superpacs to both rep and dem to pass laws that favor anticompetition and favor their monopoly. That's how they are still able to get around using lighting cable rather than type C usb port where everyone else has to use.

They spend a billion dollars a year just on legal counsel to wipe out competition.

Back