Apple working on FM radio for iPhone/iPod touch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

Apple is reportedly on the verge of releasing an FM radio application for the iPhone and iPod touch. Citing anonymous sources, rumor site 9to5mac.com claims the app will be allowed to operate in the background and should offer similar functionality to that of the new iPod nano models, which includes the ability to pause live FM transmissions and fast-forward when you resume playing.

Apparently the launch would have come sooner but Apple is still working on integrating the new feature with its mobile iTunes Store, so that users are just a few taps away from purchasing any song they are listening to on the radio -- provided the station supports song tagging.

iPhones and iPod touch devices have been able to receive FM radio signals for some time now, but as 9to5.com points out this wouldn't be the first time Apple awoke sleeping hardware functionality from its devices several months after their introduction. The company waited 9 months before enabling Bluetooth functionality in its second generation iPod touch and is still holding back on things like 802.11n wireless and the ability to broadcast FM signals, even though its hardware currently support it.

Permalink to story.

I'm surprised it took so long to get it into any of the iPods. I have a fattie nano and I love it, but I'd really like to have an fm radio in it, but maybe not enough to buy a new one right now.

well i guess if all the hardware is there to enable these nice features and apple keeps them disabled or not releasing the apps to run them I see more and more jailbreaking of the iPhone in the future.

That new Zune had HD radio tuning. Honestly, sounds better than boring old FM.

Also, pausing radio is ok but I'd rather be able to rewind radio than pause. I couldn't tell you how many times I missed a weather forecast, traffic report, or phone number to some wanted advertisement because I listen to radio as background noise and "tune" in to what's on too late.

well apple anounced that they will be trying ruin microsofts day with something (that they wouldn't name of course) on the oct 22 windows 7 release so this could be when they release fm radio and or a new firmware, perhaps iphone 3.2

The iphone/ipod touch needs an SD card slot, user replaceable battery, storage > 32GB and a better camera way before it needs radio! Who wants to listens to the the radio on their ipod touch with 1000's of mp3's on it anyway? If you need a radio that bad go buy a cheap am/fm pocket radio at best buy or somewhere. iphone needs a radio about as bad as the modern pc needs a floppy drive or serial port.

What's next? Floppy drive on the iphone?

Ok closeminded people. An FM app is very useful. Ever been to a gym? The one I belong to has an FM broadcast system that allows me to listen to what I am watching on their TVs. Now I won't need to bring my Sandisk Sansa to the gym.

I'm dissapointed it took them so long. Even with the Bluetooth.
Apple does make great stuff, but forgets a lot of the used programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back