Apple's iPhone still ahead of Android globally

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

Sales of Android-based smartphones may have outpaced those of Apple's iPhone in the U.S. last quarter, but globally the latter is still ahead of Google's platform by more than 3 million units. According to Gartner's latest figures, Apple's smartphone OS market share grew to 15.4% from 10.5%, taking the third spot in the list. But Android is gaining fast, and in fact it managed to leapfrog Microsoft Windows Mobile during this period with a jump from 1.6% to 9.6%.

Nokia's Symbian is still the largest smartphone platform by a wide margin, but it's not growing as fast as the competition. The company moved 24.1 million units, up from 17.8 million a year earlier, but its share slipped from 48.8% to 44.3%. Meanwhile, Research In Motion took the second spot dropping from 20.6% to 19.4%. In terms of actual phones, not just smartphone platforms, Nokia remained atop while RIM was fourth and Apple climbed to No. 7.

Overall, worldwide smartphone sales reached 54.3 million units during the fourth quarter, up a whopping 48.7% year-over-year. By contrast, mobile phones in general grew only 17% to 314.7 million units.

Permalink to story.

So?
Apple has been very good at marketing for a long long time.
It is interesting that they have so many flaws, and so many repairs, and still stay on top.
Very clever management and marketing... They simply are not the best, but they sure have a lot of people thinking they are.

raybay said:
So?
Apple has been very good at marketing for a long long time.
It is interesting that they have so many flaws, and so many repairs, and still stay on top.
Very clever management and marketing... They simply are not the best, but they sure have a lot of people thinking they are.

I have an iPhone, the reason I brought it was not beacuse it was the "best" but because everyone else I know have BlackBerrys or expensive Nokia's while I had some rubbish Sony Ericsson.

It was because it was different and when actually using the phone the interface and touchscreen worked better and was just different. a Blackberry interface and a nokia one are supprisingly simlar, go to settings > desktop etc... worked the same on each phone, but iPhones don't have the same menu structure and messaging on the iPhone is way different.

Actually i'm not sure why I quoted what you put? sorry bout that,

Anyway my end point is, is that i'm an iPhone customer and apple didn't win me over with its huge coverage and all that, it was simply because it was fresh. To prove it, it was only last month I decided to hop on the band-wagon! I also didn't realise they were as big as they are. People told me the app store is big but didn't realise the scale of it until I did a few searches!

I would probably have purchased an iPhone in N. America if it weren't for the fact that the phone is attached to AT&T - and AT&T has terrible family plans. There's too many extra costs. As an iPod Touch owner, I got used to and liked the interface. But the one-size fits all phone is a weakness and is starting to fall behind the competition.

I picked an Android phone as a runner up, but am very happy with it now that's it's been updated to 2.1. And in a few years when I'm ready to upgrade the phone, I'm definitely going back to Android.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back