Apple's iPod touch refresh brings it in line with the iPhone 6

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Apple on Wednesday refreshed its iPod line with new internal hardware and some additional color schemes. Here’s everything you need to know.

The much-needed refresh brings Apple’s flagship iPod touch closer in line with the soon-to-be revised iPhone 6. The touch is now powered by a 64-bit A8 chip alongside the M8 motion co-processor. The Cupertino-based company has also outfitted the new touch with an 8-megapixel rear camera module.

It is being offered in dark blue, pink and gold color schemes in addition to the existing red, black and silver options.

The iPod nano and iPod shuffle are also available with new paint jobs (technically anodized aluminum). There’s no hardware revisions for either of these devices, however, which suggests they could be headed to end-of-life status at some point in the not-too-distant future.

The changes to the iPod touch represent the first in nearly three years.

The iPod is single-handedly responsible for pulling Apple back from the brink of bankruptcy. The device debuted in late 2001 and in less than six years, Apple sold more than 100 million units. The iPhone more or less cannibalized sales starting in 2007 but there’s clearly been enough demand to keep the product line around to this day.

The iPod touch starts at $199 with 16GB of internal storage and scales up to $399 for a 128GB model.

Permalink to story.

Great, let's ask for an extra $500 for calling capabilities and slightly bigger screen.

Would not be pleased at all if they killed off the iPod line. Might separate my phone and iPod again from just having an iPhone so I can listen to music or play games without killing the battery so I can't communicate with people..

Back