Apple's M1 chip outperforms the GTX 1050 Ti, Radeon RX 560 in benchmarks

midian182

Staff member
TL;DR: After years of rumors and speculation that it was set to ditch Intel for its own Arm-based silicon, Apple confirmed the move last week when it unveiled the Apple M1 SoC. The Cupertino giant says the Arm-based chip offers better performance than previous Intel solutions found in its Macs, and a new benchmark suggests its graphical prowess is also impressive, beating some older dedicated graphics cards from Nvidia and AMD.

Follow-up: Apple Silicon Macs review roundup: Impressive performance and battery life in a familiar design

According to Apple, the M1 chip includes an eight-core GPU that provides the world's fastest integrated graphics in a low-power chipset, able to execute nearly 25,000 threads simultaneously and delivering up to 2.6 TFLOPs of throughput, which is likely its single-precision (FP32) performance. The company said it is "3.5x faster" than competitors, though it never went into further detail.

Now, benchmarks for the M1 chip have appeared on GFXBench 5.0 (via Tom's Hardware). Going up against a GTX 1050 Ti, presumably using a Thunderbolt 3-connected external enclosure, with both systems running macOS, Apple's chip outperforms Nvidia's product by around 25 to 30 percent in most tests. It's the same story with the Radeon RX 560.

The caveats here are that GFXBench 5.0 is designed for benchmarking smartphones, and that the systems were running Apple's Metal API, making direct comparisons difficult. But it's still a very impressive showing against two dedicated 75W TDP graphics cards. Interestingly, the GTX 1050 Ti is the second most popular card among Steam users taking part in the company's hardware survey.

The first Macs to come with an M-series chipset are the MacBook Air, which starts at $999, the $699 Mac Mini, and the $1,299 MacBook Pro 13.

Permalink to story.

Yes, the M1, an Apple chip, running in an Apple ecosystem, with Apple optimization, using a program running in an Apple programming language and Apple API, Performs as well as a $100 PC GPU from 4 years ago. Truly a sight to behold.

Now lets see it do that in a standalone PC enviroment and not in a gimped Apple laptop.

Apple are going to start tearing the industry up with these chips. Already iPads are outperforming i7 laptops with fans and much higher power requirements in a lot of tasks.

Apple are making the most exciting new silicon around at the moment.

I'm not a fan of Apple products but I am a fan of technology. This is a great advancement. I wonder what would have happened if Intel did not deny Nvidia a license for x86. ARM is finally catching up and I think will surpass x86 both in overall performance and perf/watt in the next 5 years. AMD has finally been able to be competitive due to great management, but remember just 4.5 years ago AMD was almost dead. With Nvidia's R&D money they could have done great things being an alternative to Intel. If Windows on ARM can get wide adoption from software makers it can surpass x86. This would be an amazing step for the world to break free of Intel's monopolistic practices and we could see what it would have been like if Nvidia was allowed to compete. It sucks it would take an extra 10 years but this should teach Intel a lesson that supporting a diverse ecosystem is better than restricting it.

They said the M1 beat out the 1050TI. I see 1050TI beat on the important on screen FPS. off screen means nothing.

Apple are going to start tearing the industry up with these chips. Already iPads are outperforming i7 laptops with fans and much higher power requirements in a lot of tasks.

Apple are making the most exciting new silicon around at the moment.

I doubt that. unless you are talking about a first gen i7. the new gen i7 would rip it a new butthole.

Apple show SOC can scale to laptop hardware and performing well. Next question. can it scale to desktop hardware? Apple only use deskop hardware in Mac Pro costing $6,000 USD. Apple said previous they will not change Mac Pro to Arm, so probably does not scale to desktop.

Apple show SOC can scale to laptop hardware and performing well. Next question. can it scale to desktop hardware? Apple only use deskop hardware in Mac Pro costing $6,000 USD. Apple said previous they will not change Mac Pro to Arm, so probably does not scale to desktop.
My question would be. can it even come in at 41% of the power of a $6,000 pc? as a desktop mac pro.

I can do better than this. but for $5800 I can get this as pc.

iBUYPOWER Slate 4 MR Mirror Finished Tempered Glass ARGB Gaming Case
3x [RGB] Corsair ML120 PRO
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X Processor
DEEPCOOL GAMERSTORM RGB 240mm CASTLE 240EX Liquid Cooler
64 GB [16 GB x4] DDR4-3200 Memory Module - G.SKILL Trident Z (RGB LED)
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 - 24GB GDDR6X
ASRock X570 PHANTOM GAMING X - WiFi 6
1200 Watt - Enermax Platimax Series - 80 PLUS Platinum
Sleeved 24-pin Motherboard + 8-pin CPU + VGA Power Extension Cables
2TB SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 M.2 PCI-E 4.0 NVME Gen 4 SSD
2 TB Samsung 860 PRO SSD
ASUS PCE-AC88 Wireless WiFi AC3100 PCI-E Adapter
Windows 10 Home - (64-bit)

so for the same price you on pc can get
2.4x procesing power
2x ram at higher speeds
Video card that is 3x more powerful and has 3x the Vram
256gb sata ssd vs 2tb nvme Read: 5000 MB/s, Write: 4400 MB/s, Gen3 Read: 3450 MB/S, Write: 2500MB/s

So I know what I would get with $6,000

ROFL.

I have no interest in the M1, but it's still impressive the strides we are seeing from these mobile SoC's. What would be nice is new iPad Pro's running the M1, with mini-led screens and support for BT mice.

I think we are all knowing mac pro exist so apple can say they are making product in united state. and price is excessively high because they don’t want anyone to try to buying it. apple mac is laptop class hardware in real world. mac can actually being great computer depending on your need. apple show a soc can scale to laptop class system and perform well, but it is not high end gaming machine.

My question would be. can it even come in at 41% of the power of a $6,000 pc? as a desktop mac pro.

I can do better than this. but for $5800 I can get this as pc.

iBUYPOWER Slate 4 MR Mirror Finished Tempered Glass ARGB Gaming Case
3x [RGB] Corsair ML120 PRO
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X Processor
DEEPCOOL GAMERSTORM RGB 240mm CASTLE 240EX Liquid Cooler
64 GB [16 GB x4] DDR4-3200 Memory Module - G.SKILL Trident Z (RGB LED)
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 - 24GB GDDR6X
ASRock X570 PHANTOM GAMING X - WiFi 6
1200 Watt - Enermax Platimax Series - 80 PLUS Platinum
Sleeved 24-pin Motherboard + 8-pin CPU + VGA Power Extension Cables
2TB SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 M.2 PCI-E 4.0 NVME Gen 4 SSD
2 TB Samsung 860 PRO SSD
ASUS PCE-AC88 Wireless WiFi AC3100 PCI-E Adapter
Windows 10 Home - (64-bit)

so for the same price you on pc can get
2.4x procesing power
2x ram at higher speeds
Video card that is 3x more powerful and has 3x the Vram
256gb sata ssd vs 2tb nvme Read: 5000 MB/s, Write: 4400 MB/s, Gen3 Read: 3450 MB/S, Write: 2500MB/s

So I know what I would get with $6,000

ROFL.

Not too shabby, it probably a bit below my gtx980m with 4th gen i7. What interesting is the M1 eats very low power with its SOC architecture. And this is just starting.

Back