Apple's mixed reality headset reportedly facing design challenges, could be delayed until...

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Bottom line: Apple’s 2022 product lineup might not be as solid as initially forecasted. Sources familiar with the matter told Bloomberg that Apple originally planned to unveil its mixed reality headset in 2021 and ship it this year after having worked on the project since 2015. That didn’t work, however, so Apple reportedly regrouped and decided to announce the headset at this year’s WWDC in June. Development issues could force Apple to push the headset back even further.

Those with knowledge of the company’s plans claim Apple is facing challenges with the device’s camera and software. Overheating is another concern, and it is believed that one of the wearable’s two main processing chips is to blame.

The chips needed to power the headset are said to be high-end components like those typically found in laptops. As you can imagine, squeezing them into something designed to be worn on your head could present some engineering challenges.

Earlier prototypes reportedly skirted thermal issues by utilizing an external processing device that wirelessly transmitted data to the headset, but sources said former Apple design chief Jony Ive wasn’t fond of extra hardware and shot the idea down.

Apple’s first model is expected to be an expensive niche product with a price point potentially north of $2,000. The idea is to use it to help build a solid ecosystem of apps - hence the desire to promote it at WWDC - before targeting a broader audience with future, presumably more affordable products.

Permalink to story.

I'm not sure what apple will release, but chances are, it will be revolutionary.

I was very impressed by the usability of Oculus Quest 2. Hopefully Apple blows them away.

It will, price-wise, it will be the most expensive whilst useless gadget they've ever made.

One thing I've learned about apple-naysayers: they are better ignored.

apple continues to make products that outsell and outsell while the competition lags behind in sales/desirability/build quality, etc.

One thing I've learned about apple-naysayers: they are better ignored.

apple continues to make products that outsell and outsell while the competition lags behind in sales/desirability/build quality, etc.
I call them “Apple sheep”. They see others hating on Apple and copy them. Objectively Apple
products are good, whether you think they are worth the price or not.

Uh-huh, revolutionary. Maybe even magical, right? Then you Apple zealots can pretend Apple invented the whole concept... you know like they invented tablets, app stores, and phones with rounded edges. All revolutionary products! Oh wait.
Who here ever claimed Apple invented any of this stuff? That’s such a strawman argument. No one claims that Apple invented these things but some of us do say that Apple do it better than competitors. I mean iPads are far far superior to Android tablets for example.

So Apple has the hardware to make a great headset but does it have the software and capabilities to make it all work seamlessly. Oculus/Meta has had 8 years perfecting their software and hardware. I think whatever Apple do it'll cost a fortune. So unless it's $400 or less they don't stand a chance against Meta.

Back