Apple's new Mac Pro available as of tomorrow starting at $2,999

Shawn Knight

Staff member

apple mac pro sale online retail starting

Apple has said their new Mac Pro will hit the market tomorrow, December 19, making good on the promise of a December ship date announced back in October. If you still have a lot of wiggle room on your holiday wish list this year, the high-end cylindrical computer could make an excellent last-minute addition.

The machine is the first major upgrade for the Mac Pro line since 2010 if you don’t count last year’s minor spec bump. What’s more, it’s the first major design update since the Intel-based Mac Pro hit the scene in 2006. It was clearly time for a redesign and Apple hasn’t disappointed.

The base model is priced at $2,999 and includes a 3.7GHz quad-core Intel Xeon E5-1620 v2 processor, 12GB of 1866MHz ECC DDR3 RAM, a 256GB PCI Express solid state drive and two AMD FirePro D300 graphics cards, each with 2GB of GDDR5 memory. For a bit more coin ($3,999), you can order a system with the following upgrades: Intel’s 3.5GHz six-core Xeon E5-1650 v2 chip, 16GB of memory and two FirePro D500 GPUs with 3GB of GDDR5 RAM each.

The chassis looks unlike anything we’ve ever seen, which isn’t a bad thing unless you’re the type that likes to upgrade your own hardware down the road. Apple managed to get the Mac Pro down to just 11 pounds by getting rid of things like PCI Express expansion slots and extra internal hard drive bays. Users should, however, be able to upgrade the RAM and PCI Express SSD without incident.

Permalink to story.

My two year old computer is better and it cost me a little less than 3k (2 years ago...). And I can max out any game at 2560x1440. Anyways, Apple may as well charge $4,999, isuckers will pay anything.

If this had dual CPUs, it would be a really good deal. Too bad it only has a quad core and only 256GB of storage.

I wonder if this will be displayed in showrooms with a price tag of "LOL"

I would wait till tomorrow when it is announced, before making final judgements.

There was a rumour that they might announce a 4K monitor at the same time, because if they don't, this whole new bucket won't be worth a spit, since it is primarily targeted at graphics designers and editors. Their major AD claim is support for 3 x 4K monitors, without which it turns into a charade.

I'm with those who say that it looks like a trashcan. It's embarrassing to admit that because the design is pretty clever, and the way it moves heat through the device is certainly unique. I don't know how efficient or functional that cooling design will be, but I could appreciate how quiet they claim it to be at idle. And I like that they offer 802.11ac WiFi plus 2 ea. 1 Gbps Ethernet ports. But personally, I would have liked to see a single GPU option and something in the $1.5 - 2K price range.

The 450W power supply looks small for four GPU's and one full sized CPU.

Damn this will cost a pretty penny. 300,000 pennies and it doesnt even include a mouse, monitor or keyboard. Not only if buy quality speakers with this bad boy to! Your looking at a final price point of about 3,400 Doll hairs.

Dear Steve Jobs,

Apple's new mac doesn't look premium. It looks like a shitty capsule with a nuclear reactor inside.

Your fan,
Pewdiepie

To all the haters. Have you actually go through the components to see how much they cost from a store like amazon?
And those saying its an ashtray, they managed to build those components in such a small factor with noise reduction (im still wating on that though), and that's what you come up with? An ashtray? Lol seriously try harder.

For the components inside and the form factor, the price is actually ok.
And no, I don't own any mac. I just like to see a company trying to do something unique (given that its good and functional) .

No one is buying this to play games. It's aimed at professionals and small to medium-sized businesses that perform audio/video and rendering work. Also, given that Apple products are notorious for keeping their resale value very high even 3-4 years out, it's an expensive investment upfront but over time, it is rather cheap if you can manage to resell it. Secondly, people who buy these computers and own their own businesses tend to write off computer equipment anyway, which further reduces the cost of ownership.

To all the haters. Have you actually go through the components to see how much they cost from a store like amazon?
And those saying its an ashtray, they managed to build those components in such a small factor with noise reduction (im still wating on that though), and that's what you come up with? An ashtray? Lol seriously try harder.

And no, I don't own any mac. I just like to see a company trying to do something unique (given that its good and functional) .
The next time Apple comes up anything unique on their own it'll be the first time. There isn't an idea, design or patent they haven't copied (or stolen) from someone else first.

It really depends on the type of work you do for a living and whether you feel comfortable with apple's OS or MS's OS... Computers like these always cost alot of money and I would like to say the next thing about the unique stuf etc. etc.

I rather see it as a "stolen" or "copied" which works fantastic than a fresh and unique idea full of plants and bees (Bugs). Because when I decide to buy something like this its work related and I dont want to spend too much time fixing bugs or calling the company to solve them for me instead of doing my work.

"It was clearly time for a redesign and Apple hasn’t disappointed."

-The design looks awful. Looks like a trash can.

I did check actually and a very quick run through put it at around $500 less than Apple, that is with some parts being better like the GPU since the W7000 has more RAM than their version and the MB being dual CPU and 3 PCIe x16 slots since I couldn't find a good one that is single slot and dual PCIe x16. I am sure if I tried for more than 5 minutes I could do even better. I will say it took more than one store to get the parts, but overall not difficult.

Back