Apple's new Magic Keyboard with Touch ID is now available for all (who own an M1 Mac)

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
Editor's take: Magic Keyboards perform incredibly well. I have two. The oldest one I've had for nine years, and it still works great. They have superb Bluetooth range that's strong enough to work from another room, and the battery life of the new models is phenomenal. I only need to charge the newer one once every couple of months or so.

When the M1 iMacs debuted earlier this year, I was less excited about the computer and more excited that it came with a Magic Keyboard equipped with a fingerprint scanner. I typically work with my MacBook Pro attached to a 40-inch monitor. I am unable to use Touch ID since the lid is closed. Unfortunately, the new Magic Keyboards were only available with the purchase of an iMac until now.

On Tuesday morning, Apple quietly added two new products to its Accessories pages—the Magic Keyboard with Touch ID and Magic Keyboard with Touch ID and Numeric Keypad. Aside from the fingerprint scanner, the two keyboards are identical to previous models. They will operate via Bluetooth with any model of Mac or any Bluetooth-equipped device for that matter. I use my older model as a keyboard for my PlayStation 5.

However, there is one caveat: The fingerprint scanner is only compatible with M1-equipped Macs. The reason is that the Touch ID sensor communicates with the dedicated Secure Enclave cryptographic coprocessor only available on Apple silicon. So if you have the newest MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, or iMac with the M1 chip, you're good to go.

Starting today, customers can order directly from Apple with free shipping. The standard Magic Keyboard is $149, while the one with the numeric keypad is $179. A USB-C to Lightning charging cable is included with both models.

Permalink to story.

Well as long as you don't get a fingerprint reader, may I interest you instead in a bluetooth, mechanical, 75% layout? Similar to this but a very nice experience even for entry level mechanical keys, mine was 35 bucks and can do both Bluetooth and IR, has a rechargeable battery and without the led lights it lasts 2 to 3 weeks. Oh yeah it also has basic RGB leds.

Well as long as you don't get a fingerprint reader, may I interest you instead in a bluetooth, mechanical, 75% layout? Similar to this but a very nice experience even for entry level mechanical keys, mine was 35 bucks and can do both Bluetooth and IR, has a rechargeable battery and without the led lights it lasts 2 to 3 weeks. Oh yeah it also has basic RGB leds.
I don’t think someone who’s using a magic keyboard has any interest in a mechanical gaming keyboard. They are for completely different users. I personally think the magic keyboard is better to type on but the mechanical (of which I own) is better for gaming. But we are all different. I love the throbbing RGB rainbow vomit of my Steelseries Apex 7 but it’s the opposite aesthetic to that of the simple, clean design of the magic keyboard.

What I find amusing is people think blue cherry mx switches are good for typing. Sure they offer good feedback but they are so loud that you can’t use them if you share an office with someone else.

I don’t think someone who’s using a magic keyboard has any interest in a mechanical gaming keyboard. They are for completely different users. I personally think the magic keyboard is better to type on but the mechanical (of which I own) is better for gaming. But we are all different. I love the throbbing RGB rainbow vomit of my Steelseries Apex 7 but it’s the opposite aesthetic to that of the simple, clean design of the magic keyboard.

What I find amusing is people think blue cherry mx switches are good for typing. Sure they offer good feedback but they are so loud that you can’t use them if you share an office with someone else.

Lovely use of descriptive language: "throbbing RGB rainbow vomit".

Well as long as you don't get a fingerprint reader, may I interest you instead in a bluetooth, mechanical, 75% layout?

I'll bet it also has a real Delete key, unlike Apple's POS small keebs. Year after year, same stupid defect. The Eject key is gone, so why didn't Apple finally make that key Delete?

WTF.

Back