Apple's next MacBook Air said to be thinner and lighter with MagSafe charging

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: More information is flowing out of the Apple rumor mill today as sources share the company’s plans for a refreshed MacBook Air that could arrive at the end of 2021 or perhaps sometime in 2022. A thinner and lighter design is reportedly high on Apple's to-do list, as is the return of the MagSafe charging mechanism.

According to Bloomberg’s well-connected Mark Gurman, the new MacBook Air will be thinner and lighter than its predecessor. One possible technique being discussed to make the system smaller is to shrink the bezels around the display.

Gurman said Apple was even considering making a 15-inch MacBook Air, but decided against it for the next generation. Perhaps the idea will be revisited later down the road.

As with the incoming MacBook Pro, Apple is also expected to outfit the new Air with MagSafe, the magnetic charging system first introduced in 2006. Apple used it for years but started phasing it out of products beginning in 2016.

Last week, Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said he believed Apple’s next MacBook Pro would also readopt the MagSafe charging system.

The new MacBook Air will be powered by custom Apple silicon, further lessening Apple’s reliance on Intel for processing technology. The current-gen Air, released back in November 2020, also utilizes Apple’s M1 chip. Sources additionally say it’ll come equipped with two USB 4 ports.

Image credit WeDesing, PopTika

Permalink to story.

I await the day that Apple releases a laptop so thin and light it doesn't exist.

That made me giggle. Good one! :)

Sadly, fools will buy it anyway.

And this one clearly shows you no idea what you're talking about. M1 is amazing chip compared to everything on the market today. And I don't talk tech influencers 'ohh look how nice I can encode my selfie 4K stream from iphone' nonsense. It's bloody amazing in Blender via Rosetta2 and there is no official support for that architecture yet. Rendering on par with i9 in 15W power envelope. Nuff said.

And this one clearly shows you no idea what you're talking about. M1 is amazing chip compared to everything on the market today. And I don't talk tech influencers 'ohh look how nice I can encode my selfie 4K stream from iphone' nonsense. It's bloody amazing in Blender via Rosetta2 and there is no official support for that architecture yet. Rendering on par with i9 in 15W power envelope. Nuff said.
Which is a tacit admission that you're basically just waiting for Apple to brute-force its network effect wrt software support, which doesn't exist at the moment because nobody who does actual work or lives in the real world and is sane wants anything to do with locked-down, glued-together nigh-unserviceable Apple hardware.

Bring back the Macbook 12" formfactor. That model looked so good, but the Intel chips suck so bad at scaling down. I really like the performance of our new Arm Macbook Air, but the bugs are there. I hate Safari so we use Chrome, But Chrome compiled for Arm on OSX is not 100% up to par. With rendering issues popping up at times.

Back