Archos 7 Home Tablet release bumped to June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Archos' 7-inch Android-based tablet went up for presale last month with an expected ship date of late April, but as you well know, April is behind us, and the Archos 7 Home Tablet has yet to officially launch. According to the company, some people who preordered the bargain-priced slate may receive it by the end of May, but the new US release window is June.

If you're interested, the device is still available for preorder on Amazon at a reasonable $199. The Android 1.6 tablet packs a 7-inch 800x480 resistive touchscreen, a 600MHz ARM 9 processor, and 8GB of storage into a very trim package, measuring less than half an inch thick and weighing well under a pound. It's rated for 7 hours of video or 44 hours of audio and it can handle up to 720p playback.

The Archos 7 Home Tablet is preloaded with a handful of core apps for instant messaging, reading e-books and so on, but it's backed by Archos' AppLib store rather than the Android Marketplace -- though you can install the full store with a little knowhow.

Permalink to story.

Hmmm...sounds like an interesting alternative to Ipod/Zune players although it has a larger screen size. I'm not exactly sure how it classifies as a Tablet PC (but then the definition is still in flux). I'm a little confused about the 720p playback when the screen resolution is 800x480 (If it is dependant on software converting 720p to the screen resolution then you could say 1080p playback and so on. Or does it scale down automatically without any conversion?).

My Archos 5 is a smaller version the the Archos 7 (same resolution, similar processor) and it can play 1080p videos by downscaling it without any conversion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back