Are applets any good to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

etchhh

just asking if applets r any good to use , as they r not developed anymore i believe! , or i can deploy any other tech. in my website ?

just asking if applets r any good to use,
Applets are usually commercial client/server programs and the home
user has little need for them. A website may use these to develop and deliver various services and applications
as they r not developed anymore i believe! ,
OH not so!
or i can deploy any other tech. in my website ?
but of course -- what skills do you have to support other technologies?

i could just say use flash instead of applets , as u cant make a simple applet that looks for a word on the web ... i mean applets r -yes- made for 1 server client only , all i just wanted to ask about is , why Java Developers dont develop applets anymore ? i feel that applets was developed and u can just "use it as it is" , u can see that flash developers always publish new versions ,,, but have u heared that java developers have released any new versions of applets ??
i've just heared that microsoft wont support applets on its IE versions if Sun have developed more in applets , is that true ?

thats what i was asking about - thx for ur reply anyways

First, Microsoft violated the license terms for Java with it's own version of the JVM
which is why it was withdrawn as a result of a lawsuit.

Second, applets if written correctly, don't need new versions UNLESS some new functionality needs to be added or corrected.

Applets are just Java Applications that run within the browser. The design was to
NOT access anything outside the browser UNLESS signed and certified. This is
a restriction that MS didn't like and why ActiveX was developed. Considering all the
security issues with ActiveX -- Looks like Sunmicro Systems knew what they were doing!

As to why Applets are not so pervasive -- imo it's likely that Flash is easier and faster
to develop. But did you know, Flash has security holes too?

oO

actually thats what i was asking about , just to make sure --
the home-server only connection with applet makes it a blesing and curse at the same time ... its a really excellent security issue ,, but in the main time u know ,, u r not allowed to do many things u would like ...
and if u look closely , applets have many feature could be included to make an excellent GUI , but why would someone bother himself with a limited/restricted application ?

But did you know, Flash has security holes too?

thats something new to me ! actually i like to see flash animation running as a end user , but not as a developer :p

anyways , thx for the little talk , bye :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back