Are there any IDE to SATA adapters/cables?

Atham

Hello,

I am going to update my computer. I would like to keep my old ATA WDC 1TB HDD. However the motherboard I am upagrading to, the GA-990FXA-UD5, doesn't support IDE.
I would like to know if you know any good prodcuts for IDE to SATA adapters/cables. Should I get one of those or just get a new HDD?

Thanks

What is the model of your motherboard? Even SATA motherboards should have one IDE interface that will support 2 IDE devices

My current motherboard is a MSI 785GM-E51 with a HD Radeon 4200 IGP. I would like to upgrade to a GA990FXA-UD5.

Your current board has and IDE interface, the GA-990FXA-UD5 does not. You better stick with all SATA drives, your old IDE drive would slow disc access times down. Get a USB external IDE enclosure and access any important that way

Where would I store my OS though? Wouldn't the adapters work? I think I am off buying a whole new build.

You wouldn't be able to run the OS off the new motherboard anyway. You would have to re-install the OS fresh

You're just asking for trouble trying to use an OS install from another motherboard. Don't you have the install disc?

My PC was built by a friend of my dad. I did find a Windows 7.iso on my computer, both 32bit and 64bit. There also was some text from the one who built the PC that these are the files for Win 7. I just need a USB or disc to burn it on. I am thinking of getting a DVD-RW.

Unless you live in a country like Somalia, you should be able to find one in some form or another.

Doesn't "IDE to SATA Converter" bring up anything in Google?

My PC was built by a friend of my dad. I did find a Windows 7.iso on my computer, both 32bit and 64bit. There also was some text from the one who built the PC that these are the files for Win 7. I just need a USB or disc to burn it on. I am thinking of getting a DVD-RW.

Yes that will work and I'm sure your CPU is 64-bit. I bought my Windows 7 Pro on-line from Microsoft as a .iso file download in October 2009

Back