Artificial intelligence may lead to the end of human employment, Elon Musk warns

midian182

Staff member
A hot potato: Amid concerns over just how much generative AI will impact employment, Elon Musk has joined the debate with a warning that the technology threatens all human jobs. The world's richest man said the new wave of artificial intelligence tools have the potential to be the "most disruptive force in history."

In a conversation between Musk and UK Prime Minister Rishi Sunak which took place at the end of the country's AI summit, the CEO had several warnings about the tech.

"We will have something that is, for the first time, smarter than the smartest human," Musk said. "It's hard to say exactly what that moment is, but there will come a point where no job is needed."

Musk added that in this scenario, people who wanted a job could have one for personal satisfaction, but AI would be able "to do everything."

"I don't know if that makes people comfortable or uncomfortable," Musk joked.

There was also a warning from the Tesla boss about humanoid robots. "At least a car can't chase you into a building or up a tree," he told the audience, referencing the AI-related technologies being used in his company's vehicles.

Musk has long warned about the dangers of AI in the past, calling for regulation of advanced AI and a ban on the technology being used in weapons. He was also one of the 1,100 signatories who signed an open letter calling for a six-month pause on the development of advanced AIs in March over fears that, among other things, all jobs could become automated.

Musk, who launched a new AI venture called xAI seeking the "true nature of the universe" in July, did have some positive things to say about the technology in his talk with Sunak. He noted that "one of my sons has trouble making friends and an AI friend would be great for him." He also highlighted how these tools could be an excellent tutor for young people - but that could also raise job fears among teachers and teaching assistants.

The UK summit on AI focused on two areas: the risk of it being misused by bad actors, and any loss of control of advanced systems. But there were few new announcements related to regulation similar to Biden's recent executive order. Musk even took a jab at the summit before it began by posting a cartoon on X (below).

In other AI news this week, a game called Angry Pumpkins has made headlines for being created entirely using ChatGPT to write its 600 lines of code, Midjourney to draw the objects and background, and Dall-E to generate the title screen.

Unsurprisingly, the term "AI" has just been voted Collins Dictionary's word of the year.

Permalink to story.

This is too much now honestly. Why can’t you just disappear Musk ? The world doesn’t need you and your AI. I personally believe that AI is very very dangerous and a possible threat for us all. We won’t benefit from it at all. This may take over our jobs one day so that is why the world leaders should act ASAP to try and stop this before it’s too late.
#WelcomeSkynet

I mean, not in our lifetimes, and certainly not before some quantum leap in computing power (and battery tech).

"AI" is relatively horrible with organic data (unless it's focus is very narrow), and until they get "smart" enough to process it in real time, most jobs aren't getting replaced.

Just think of self-driving cars. If they're having that hard of a time getting those working consistently with how much time they've dumped in it (with the current limitations of processing), how will they replace most other jobs? At least a car has the space for the "AI" to do it's job, and a lot more obvious signs on what to do...

This should be good news for people who fear AI: This is the guy that memed himself into spending 44 billion on buying the most toxic and useless social media platform ever and has managed to make it so bad it's actively propping up it's competitors.

Just saying: if that's the business powerhouse making this claims then the best likelihood is that the opposite will happen instead.

Yeah right. 🤔

Musk pulling :poop: out of his butt again, and people making the mistake of listening to him and the :poop: AGAIN. People listen because what? Because billions? 🤣

If there are intelligent extraterrestrials visiting the Earth, they have to be shaking their head in disbelief especially since they have likely learned their lessons and their technology and society is light-years beyond anything Earth has - especially buffoons like Musk.

IMO, its sad that this Earth has come to value :poop: so highly.
I don't mind if AI replaces many man-baby, thin-skinned, temperamental, buffoonish CEOs most of all.

Actually, I welcome it.
Where Musk is concerned, that would be an improvement.

Last edited:
This is too much now honestly. Why can’t you just disappear Musk ? The world doesn’t need you and your AI. I personally believe that AI is very very dangerous and a possible threat for us all. We won’t benefit from it at all. This may take over our jobs one day so that is why the world leaders should act ASAP to try and stop this before it’s too late.
#WelcomeSkynet
Humanity never stopped using new tech to advance itself further.
And a portion of humanity that did not lives in horrible conditions like their ancestors thousands of years ago.
I am excited for AI making patient treatment times and times more accurate, performing tests other tasks for scientists. It could make all our lives better.

I guess we could start with mediocre CEOs. What do you think, Elon? Would be tough to do worse than losing $25B in 12 months.

Imagine a robot going to a construction site, trying to work as an electrician… he will:
- be confused why nothing is as per the designers plan ,
- no safe access to the building, instead an ever changing labyrinth of mud pits, ruble, crates and pallets, vans and lorries…
- half the materials are the wrong spec so he needs to improvise to make it work somehow,
- realise that some other robot has tipped out what he has done last week as it was “in his way”
- there are 11 site managers, no e of them talking to each other so nothing goes as it should go
- realise that the deadline to get ut all done is overly ambitious, but students are moving in on the weekend, so somehow it all needs to be safe and ready for them…

I could go on…

Some jobs will be replaced. Paper pushers mostly.

AI is a self aware machine and just a marketing ploy and won't be around in our times, for the last twenty years the intelligence level of a computer so far is a cockroach and will need a change in computer design to go forward
To be honest all that's available at the moment is very well programmed items not anywhere near an AI system.

Elon is nobodys fool. It might be worth listening to him. The problem is we know China wont. Its a race, the first to create a truly extra intelligent AI will have a huge advantage.

Clearly the guy knows nothing about the variety of work that real people undertake.

AI is a self aware machine and just a marketing ploy and won't be around in our times, for the last twenty years the intelligence level of a computer so far is a cockroach and will need a change in computer design to go forward
To be honest all that's available at the moment is very well programmed items not anywhere near an AI system.
If they do really come up with a real AI machine, whom will they serve.

Psychic Prediction in 3030 AI does everything you just have to enjoy your life no more worrying about money, credit cards stock market will be the way of the past. AI builds everything you need and protect us all. We program and create them to take care of us just the way things will be..

Curious why Musk would waste his breath talking to Sunak, one of the most useless PMs the UK has ever tolerated. We've had a few of them in recent years so Musk has been spoiled for choice.

Back