ASRock 890FX Deluxe4 not booting up with new PSU

First the parts.

MOBO: ASRock 890FX Deluxe4

RAM: Kingston HyperX (2x2GB) 240-pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 Memory Model KHX1333C7D3K2/4GX

GPU: XFX HD=687A-ZNFC Radeon HD 6870 1GB 356-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition

PSU: Seasonic x650 Gold 650W ATX12V v2.3/EPS 12V v2.91

CPU Cooler: Coolermaster V8

I'm having a boot problem. I was able to start up once and go into the BIOS no problem. I didn't change anything except the time and date. I figured it was time to install Windows 7 after that. Put in the disc, turned the system off to reboot and nothing.

The case lights/fans turn on for a brief second as well as the MOBO lights and CPU cooler, then nothing. You can hear the PSU click as if it wants to power on but won't or can't. I don't have anything up to date like this setup as my other system is 6 yrs old. So swapping out parts is a no go.

I tried the newer psu on the older computer and had the same results. Fans spin for a second as well as lights and then nothing. I then removed the ASRock from my new case, hooked up the psu to the cpu/mobo/gpu/no gpu and still the same result.

Would it be safe to assume that the psu is bad? Or am I missing something else?

Yes, it sounds like the PSU is bad. If you swapped in the PSU from the older PC and it starts up fine, then you have a solid case to replace the new PSU under warranty or exchange with wherever you bought it.

I'm going to RMA the psu back and hopefully the next one will yield better results. Fingers crossed I hope this is the main issue and nothing more serious.

I recommend you try your older PSU first. It might not be capable of running your new system, but it will still POST ok, and will therefore confirm whether the PSU is at fault or not.

It might not be the PSU outright, so worth checking just in case.

Back