Asrock 970 pro3

Nickoli

So I was wondering I got this pc a while ago and started to use it a lot now and didn’t know how I could upgrade it since the mother board is pretty old I run a
AMD fx 6300 six core procceser
8gb ddr3 ram
Nvdia GeForce GT 1030
What would be suitable for upgrades and what exactly and is there a newer motherboard I can buy that allows for all these? Thanks so much if u helped!

Are you asking about upgrading just the motherboard or any/all of the other components?

I’m looking to first see if I can upgrade my components but if not then I would go for a newer motherboard

Gotcha - well, the best CPU that motherboard can take it the AMD FX-8320E and these can be found on eBay for around $100 (used). However, you won't see much a difference compared to your current FX-6300, so it's not really worth it. You could always add in some extra RAM, increasing it to 16 GB in total, but again, the expenditure isn't worth it as no future upgrade will work with DDR3.

The best upgrade you could do is replacing the graphics card with something better - however, current prices are utterly ridiculous, even second ones, so you may well have to put with the GT 1030 for a while longer. Even when (if!) prices do return to sane levels, the main thing to note is your current graphics card takes all its power from the slot it sits in.

More modern cards need more than this and so use a PCI Express cable from the power supply unit. If yours doesn't have one, then you'll need to either replace the supply unit or use a molex-to-PCIe adapter.

Edit: One possible graphics card to consider is the GeForce GTX 1050 Ti - it doesn't need an extra power cable, and will be a much better card (still low end by today's standards) than your 1030. However, new models are massively over-priced (over $300 on Newegg, for something that launched at $140) and even second hand ones are stupidly priced.

Thanks I have one last question, how can I build in wifi and Bluetooth into my pc because the only way I can get wifi is through wired connection and that makes me use a wireless Ethernet that cuts out a lot.

Your motherboard has a 1x PCI Express slot (just above the graphics card slot) and you could plug something like this into it:

This will give your PC the capability to directly connect to a WiFi network and it offers Bluetooth connectivity as well.

Hey man, thanks for quick reply’s and detailed explanations as well. I’m relatively new so it was nice to get a good explanation. Is there a way I can review u or give u 5 stars or something like that?

Oh and one of my friends said that the 580 is the better alternative to the 1550 ti is that the case?

Yes, the RX 580 is a much better card - but you'll struggle to find one at a sensible price (unless you have a kind friend). It's almost double the physical size of the 1030, so you'd need to have plenty of space inside the PC case for it, and it requires an 8 pin PCI Express power connector.

Back