ASRock's new mini PC features AMD Ryzen 4000U processors inside and generous I/O connectivity

Humza

Staff member
In a nutshell: ASRock has announced the Mars 4000U series, which it claims is the world's thinnest AMD-powered Mini PC. While Intel's NUC lineup has usually dominated this niche for quite some time, new rivals such as the Apple M1-powered Mac mini and this AMD-powered offering certainly shake up the small form factor space.

Coming in at just 0.74 liters with a 26mm thin profile, ASRock's new Mars 4000U mini PC should easily fit in the tightest of workspaces. It's not ideal for demanding gamers, given the lack of Thunderbolt 3 or 4 support (for eGPUs), though its powerful internals and I/O connectivity on offer make a strong case for other industries like multimedia, education, and commercial businesses.

Powered by AMD's Ryzen 4000 series of mobile processors, this mini PC starts with a 4C/4T Ryzen 4300U and goes up to an 8C/16T 4800U chip. The CPU can be paired with up to 64GB of non-ECC dual-channel DDR4 memory, while storage options include a PCIe NVMe m.2 slot, one 2.5-inch SATA III slot, and an SD card reader that's located at the front.

Other I/O on the front includes a USB-C 3.2 Gen1 Type-C port, 2 x USB 3.2 Gen1 Type-A ports, and 2 x USB 2.0 ports next to the power button. The rear, meanwhile, features a Kensington lock, a couple of audio jacks, power input for the 65W/19V adapter, an Ethernet port to go with the WLAN m.2 expansion slot inside (Intel Wi-Fi 6), two more USB 3.2 Gen1 Type-A ports, an HDMI port (4K@60Hz) and a D-Sub port. This configuration also allows for a dual-monitor setup. Thermals are dealt with using ASRock's 'high-performance' thermal solution, which the company says is less than 24dB loud at idle and should keep the CPU cool with its specially designed heatsink.

Pricing of the Mars 4000U series isn't officially available at this point, though ASRock's e-tail partner, Newegg, is currently selling a barebones system that packs a 6C/6T Ryzen 5 4500U only (no RAM, storage) for $389.99 backed by a one-year warranty.

Permalink to story.

Would really love a mini itx board of these puppies or even a thunderbolt option but not as much due to the cost of e-GPU enclosures, but none-the less the enthusiast in me is really hoping to see some mini itx version in future.
just imagine the oomph with power savings for a 24x7 on PC at home as file server, casual gaming for kids, web browsing for the misses!!! (my area has the highest cost per unit of electricity compare to the nation, hence...)
yeah the i3 10100f comes close to the dream with its peak 45 watt power under heavy load but its boring.

If I want a mini PC with a mobile processor in it, I'll buy a laptop. What I really want is one roughly this size, but with the desktop-series APUs in it. But those all seem to be MIA.

If I want a mini PC with a mobile processor in it, I'll buy a laptop. What I really want is one roughly this size, but with the desktop-series APUs in it. But those all seem to be MIA.
I‘ve always been a fan of mobile or low power CPU in desktop PC. Many years ago, you could even fit some of them in your desktop board. Of course back then, you‘d get about the same performance as on desktop PC but at lower voltage and power consumption.

I got recently the Asus PN50, similar specs with more displays and io ports, using it as a home server for media, plex and everything else.

just imagine the oomph with power savings for a 24x7 on PC at home as a file server, casual gaming for kids, web browsing for the misses!!! (my area has the highest cost per unit of electricity compared to the nation, hence...)
yeah the i3 10100f comes close to the dream with its peak 45-watt power under heavy load but it's boring.

LOL you forget i3-10100F doesn't come with igpu

LOL you forget i3-10100F doesn't come with igpu
actually the point is to be able to add a discreet GPU (which I have a few lying around), hence the mini pc like asus PN50/ Acer Desk mini were not mentioned. its about the ability to tinker with the build hence the mini itx board dream.

What the point to buy a CPU/APU base from mobile laptop design especially U(ultra-low power) series? that's cut performance than Dekstop performance, ryzen APU 4000G it's not power-hungry
ARXIDMEDIA-deksmini12.png

ARXIDMEDIA-deksmini10.png

ARXIDMEDIA-deksmini11.png

ARXIDMEDIA-deksmini2.png

ARXIDMEDIA-deksmini4.png

ARXIDMEDIA-deksmini13.png

ARXIDMEDIA-deksmini14.png

ARXIDMEDIA-deksmini16.png

ARXIDMEDIA-deksmini15.png

ARXIDMEDIA-deksmini.png

ARXIDMEDIA-deksmini7.png
ARXIDMEDIA-deksmini6.png