Assassin's Creed Valhalla update improves performance, but the entire game must be reinstalled

midian182

Staff member
In brief: Are you still playing through the behemoth that is Assassin’s Creed Valhalla? There’s some good news from developer Ubisoft: an update is on its way to improve the game’s performance and prepare it for future DLCs and expansions. The bad news is that you will need to reinstall the entire game, all 77GB of it.

Ubisoft writes that the upcoming Assassin’s Creed Valhalla update 1.4.1 will bring a series of optimizations to the game that will "deliver faster loading screens, improved world data streaming, and overall runtime performance." It will also get AC Valhalla ready for all "future content and game updates."

While that sounds exciting for fans of the Viking saga, it does come at a cost. The update will require the entire base game to be reinstalled. But Ubisoft notes how the "data restructuring" means that instead of adding 34GB onto the total size of the game, owners will instead be slashing its current installation size by one gigabyte to 77GB—the actual download itself is 78GB.

Thankfully, only the base game will need to be reinstalled, not the Wrath of the Druids or Siege of Paris DLC packs, which are both massive.

Check out our Best PC Games (You Should Be Playing), which includes Assassin's Creed Valhalla

There’s plenty of new content coming to Assassin’s Creed Valhalla next year, including what is claimed to be an enormous "God of War-style" expansion, possibly called Dawn of Ragnarök, which offers an extra 40 hours to the single-player campaign.

Intel still lists Valhalla as one of the games that encounter DRM issues when running on Alder Lake PCs, though this writer has been playing it problem-free on a Core i7-12700K system without using the workaround since the weekend.

Permalink to story.

That doesn't makes sense at all: it feels like Ubi is just breathing down the necks of the devs before they actually had enough time to properly finish integrating all of their changes and some exhausted dev on one of those interminable meetings in desperation suggested "Why don't we just force all clients to do a full reinstall with our new version?" and the suits bought it.

The alternative is that this was very poorly organized since ship so it's still very likely bad code pushed out the door by careless executives, no matter which option. But the former one seems more likely to me.

AC Valhalla is one of those games where all the ingredients are right, it’s got great graphics, an amazing big open world, smooth animations, a big skill tree, English countryside and nords with axes, longboats and longhouses etc.

But the game is rubbish, it’s so boring it’s like doing an admin job. On top of this I have yet to play more than an hour before I get a random crash, AMD drivers and this game are not friends.

I’ve got super fast broadband and I won’t be installing it again.

I'm guessing this is for PC? I have it for PS5 and I got bored of it, which is rare for me when it comes to Assassins Creed games. I actually went back to replay Odyssey. Greek mythology is my thing though.

Ha ha, same here. I love Odyssey and greek mythology in general, and am just about to finally finish entire game at level 99 and will start a new game plus. I think Titan quest started my love affair with greek mythology based games.

That doesn't makes sense at all: it feels like Ubi is just breathing down the necks of the devs before they actually had enough time to properly finish integrating all of their changes and some exhausted dev on one of those interminable meetings in desperation suggested "Why don't we just force all clients to do a full reinstall with our new version?" and the suits bought it.

The alternative is that this was very poorly organized since ship so it's still very likely bad code pushed out the door by careless executives, no matter which option. But the former one seems more likely to me.
I wonder if it has anything to do with block chain in game currencies they announced last week. Make clients reinstall the game for new level micro transactions and dlc pay wall. The improvements are a cover up. Has anyone ever heard this before?

I wonder if it has anything to do with block chain in game currencies they announced last week. Make clients reinstall the game for new level micro transactions and dlc pay wall. The improvements are a cover up. Has anyone ever heard this before?
Actually it wouldn't surprise me the "preparation" is just to make sure some assets are properly and securely isolated to turn them into NFTs (Not that they'd need to do that anyway: we all know NFTs are meaningless legally)

I haven't gotten around to start this game yet but I got it for free when I bought my Ryzen 3900xt. That 78GB is going to take me a week to download because I have to throttle it in order to be able to still use the internet for anything else. Glad I wasn't in the middle of playing. Flight simulator took almost 2 weeks.

Back