Asus announces world's first USB Type-C portable monitor

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Asus has offered a few USB-powered portable monitors for some time now. On Tuesday at CES, it became the first company to announce a single-cable USB Type-C monitor which it is calling the MB169C+.

The new USB Type-C variety features the same 15.6-inch, 1080p IPS panel as the existing MB169B+ except with the new connector. As Engadget notes, the IPS panel is a nice upgrade over the old TN panel from the MB168B+ as it affords improved viewing angles and better colors.

Asus' MB169C+ is said to tip the scales at 800 grams (1.76 pounds) and measures just 8.5mm thick, the same as the MB169B+.

The company tells the publication that its new portable monitor should work with any system that has a USB Type-C connector, regardless of platform, including Apple's Retina MacBook, Asus' own Transformer Book T100HA, the latest Chromebook Pixel and Android devices.

Asus hasn't yet provided details on when the MB169C+ will go on sale or for how much. A quick check on Amazon reveals the MB169B+ sells for just south of $200 although the MB168B+ commands nearly $300. As such, it'll probably be somewhere within that ballpark, give or take a few bucks. That may seem like a lot for something that most will view as a luxury item but road warriors accustomed to the level of productivity that a second display affords may find it to be a worthy investment.

Permalink to story.

It would be nice if it had a touch screen part number option. Then I could see it as good way to share a small phone or for a headless server room, or even second screen for a tablet.

This would be nice as a mobile monitor to go with me whenever I bring my PC around for [insert whatever]. I think I can deal with 14ms response time on non-FPS gaming, web browsing and watching video, and having only one connector to deal power and data would be great. It's been so long since I've had anything more than sub 8ms so I don't remember how something faster like FPSs would personally "feel like."

Back