Asus chairman: we have a "secret weapon" for the iPad 2

Emil

Staff

Jonney Shih, chairman of Asustek Computer, pushed his engineering teams to design something new, when he noticed the world was becoming more interested in mobile computing. The result was the netbook (Asus' Eee PC line), a new laptop form factor with extended battery life that sold very well. Now tablets are set to take on the mobile computing market, and Shih says his company will have something to fight the Apple iPad 2, according to an interview with ComputerWorld:

Asustek launched four new tablets at the International CES in Las Vegas this year, yet everyone expects Apple to launch the iPad 2 at any time. What does the new iPad mean for all the tablets coming out now? Won't it make them obsolete?

Well, we already know some of the details of that device, such as what kind of processor they chose... We very carefully chose our tablet processor, the Nvidia Tegra 2, and to really compete it will take [Apple] some time. You know, [Nvidia] is well known for graphics. Also, we will try to provide a "secret weapon," something we have not shown at this time but closer to the launch time we will show.

Is the secret weapon a component or a new tablet?

I think it's best not to say now. You will have to wait until the launch.

Asus has shown time and again that it is capable of innovating when it comes to new markets. What do you think the company has under its sleeve?

Permalink to story.

Ya know... I really disliked the basic limited concept of the iPad when it launched, but then I got to play with one for a while, and I started seeing some of the appeal... And then Apple kept playing that damn commercial with that brain-numbingly catchy piano jingle, over and over and over, it was everywhere I turned... It has become like an ice-pick in my left optic nerve. The annoyance factor alone killed any positive feelings I may have almost felt about the iPad.

If Asus has non-irritating ads for their hardware, they have won in my book, even if it's just a backlit etch-a-sketch held together with duct tape and superglue! :)

mattfrompa said:
I have my own weapon against the iPad 2... cognitive function.

where is my like button?

Vrmithrax said:
Ya know... I really disliked the basic limited concept of the iPad when it launched, but then I got to play with one for a while, and I started seeing some of the appeal... And then Apple kept playing that damn commercial with that brain-numbingly catchy piano jingle, over and over and over, it was everywhere I turned... It has become like an ice-pick in my left optic nerve. The annoyance factor alone killed any positive feelings I may have almost felt about the iPad.

If Asus has non-irritating ads for their hardware, they have won in my book, even if it's just a backlit etch-a-sketch held together with duct tape and superglue! :)

seriously, i need a friggen like button!!!!!

I will never use ANYTHING made by Apple, so I welcome announcements like this one. I still remember when Apple put Franklin out of business because it made a better Apple II than its own. I remember how IBM made its computer system open to all while Apple was still going after anyone having the audacity to offer something that was not claimed to be PROPRIETARY to Apple.

Mac Users - I remember when there were thousands of software programs available for the PC while you could count the number of useful office programs for the Mac on one hand.

I cannot stand the "I-this" and the "I-that" and all of the horrid commercials for them.

I read in amazement who new car buyers were bitching because a car did not come with Ipod connections.

I also got a huge laugh when Iphones started falling apart and losing signals because holding them covered up the antenna.

So, bring it on, Asus.

Asus has a secret weapon for the ipad while they're not even a blip on Apple's radar. Have they come up with a weapon for the ipod yet ? or maybe the iphone ? no. They have a bunch op amazing prototype and concept products that will never launch and will wait for the next i-whatever and do a poor job copying and marketing it.
Apple kills with marketing. Why can't these ***** 'competitors' get that yet ?

Reminds me of all the vapor-ware (hardware) that Commodore & Amiga always promised.
Didn't even mention if it was going Android/Linux,
to enter an existing App base.

You just read my mind...... Apple has been trying to monopolize since the beginning....

Back