Tech Stocking Stuffers: 18 awesome gifts under $50

Asus, HP announce ARM-powered Windows 10 PCs with 'all-day' battery life

By Shawn Knight ยท 9 replies
Dec 5, 2017
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft’s partnership with Qualcomm to bring Windows 10 to ARM-powered devices is finally bearing fruit. At Qualcomm’s second annual Snapdragon Technology Summit in Maui on Tuesday, launch partners Asus and HP unveiled the first Snapdragon 835-powered devices running Microsoft’s OS.

The Asus NovaGo is a traditional convertible featuring a 13.3-inch Full HD touchscreen display with Asus Pen support. It’ll be offered with up to 8GB of RAM and 256GB of local flash storage. The HP Envy x2, meanwhile, is a Surface clone that packs a 12.3-inch WUXGA+ display with Corning Gorilla Glass 4 and the same 8GB / 256GB RAM / storage options.

Both devices feature a fanless design and are incredibly lightweight. The NovaGo tips the scales at just 3.06 pounds while the Envy x2 will add just 1.54 pounds to your backpack. They’ll ship with Windows 10 S although both Asus and HP are offering a free upgrade to Windows 10 Pro.

The bigger story here, however, is the battery life and LTE connectivity afforded by Qualcomm’s Snapdragon processor. Asus claims its NovaGo is good for up to 22 hours of video playback on a single charge and over 30 days of standby while HP’s new Envy x2 is rated at up to 20 hours of local video playback and 700 hours of standby.

HP is shooting for a spring 2018 launch with pricing and mobile carrier support pending. Asus’ NovaGo will reportedly start at $599 for 4GB of RAM and 64GB of storage and scale up to $799 for 8GB of RAM and 256GB of space. That’s a bit more than I would have guessed for a Snapdragon-powered laptop but perhaps people will be willing to pay that price for true all-day battery life?

That’s assuming, of course, that the estimates are accurate. As we’ve seen in the past, such estimates can be a bit generous at times.

Permalink to story.

2. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 3,124   +885

This is very interesting, Looking forward to getting my hands on one of these. See how they perform mainly. If they can be as snappy and fast to use as the normal Ultra Low Power Intel chips, This could be the start of decent battery life Ultra Portables. Over time as well, Prices will come down as Intel and Qualcomm will be directly competing for OEM contracts (something that, lets face it, Intel hasn't had to do in this segment ever).

Reehahs likes this.
  3. Peter Farkas

Peter Farkas TS Addict Posts: 265   +84

Ok, but can it run Crysis? :)

4. Burty117

When my work order one for testing, I'll let you know :p

Edit: Sounds like due to the x86 Emulation, games with DRM protection won't work. sounds like Indie games with no DRM and older games that don't have DRM on them (for example Area 51 as Midway released it for free and DRM free a few years back) will run fine.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    Peter Farkas likes this.
  5. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TS Evangelist Posts: 2,018   +663

Lol. WindowsRT lives on...
    Who thought these ARM machines were a good idea???
    The main selling points in the article are they are lightweight and all day battery life. I don't know about you, but performance is primary, then the rest, meaning these have very little to offer the average consumer. Its a giant flip phone ffs!

Will this be a failure in 2018? I think so.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  6. Burty117

No, you're completely wrong, this is emulating (very well may I add) x86, so it can run all the same software any other Windows device can, Microsoft has done several demonstrations (using the older Snapdragon 825 as well) running Adobe Photoshop and 3D games and showing Qualcomm really can compete with Intel. All the while using considerably less power.

Edit: Meant to add, Windows RT was Windows completely re-written to run natively on ARM architecture which required all software to be converted to run on it. Hence why it failed.

TempleOrion likes this.
  7. hahahanoobs

I believe you, but we have capable mobile chips from Intel that will do a far better job than phone chips with the specs to match.

8. Burty117

Did you even watch the video I linked? That's not the only one, their's quite a few out there. I think you're giving Intel chips way to much credit here, They really aren't very powerful, they struggled with 1080p Youtube video's until the last few years.

I have a Snapdragon 835 in my phone. My phone is able to playback 4K HVEC video files but an Ultra Low Power Intel Core i5 from last year can't and in it's attempt to, just gets really hot and eats lots of power. This is just an example obviously. My point is, Intel really isn't very good still compared to ARM architectures from Apple, Samsung and Qualcomm, But because Microsoft couldn't just run x86 software on them, they've never been considered (Windows RT proof that software devs won't re-write everything for the platform). Now they can, this could be a game changer, Intel will finally have some competition and we might see some serious improvements from Intel.

9. meanie

meanie TS Rookie

Just how well can it run something like Photoshop? Being able to launch it is nice but...

hahahanoobs likes this.
  10. hahahanoobs

All these systems will have the exact same SoC, just like netbooks did, leaving next to no reason to choose one over the other.

These systems will be the first fail of 2018. It's an incrediblly niche market.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017