Asus launches ZenBook Pro Duo starting at $2,499.99

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Bottom line: While Asus’ new machine certainly looks futuristic, I can’t imagine it’d be terribly practical to use. The biggest issue I see with the system is the fact that there is no built-in wrist rest / keyboard deck for your hands to rest on. That could make typing quite uncomfortable, especially if you’re actually using this thing in your lap.

Asus on Monday announced that its dual-screen ZenBook Pro Duo laptop is now available to purchase in two different configurations starting at $2,499.99.

Asus first showed off the ZenBook Pro Duo at Computex back in May. A successor to the ZenBook Pro 14 that we reviewed earlier this year, the new ZenBook Pro Duo features a 14-inch secondary touchscreen (3,840 x 1,100 resolution) display that consumes the entire upper half of the keyboard deck.

The extra screen can be used like a standard secondary display in Windows or to simplify app management using the built-in ScreenXpert software. The primary display is also of the 4K variety, offering an 89 percent screen-to-body ratio and a wide color gamut with 100 percent DCI-P3 coverage and HDR.

The system can be configured with up to a 9th generation Intel Core processor, 32GB of RAM, an Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060 GPU and a 1TB PCIe SSD.

The Asus ZenBook Pro Duo is available to purchase from writing from outlets like Amazon and Newegg starting at $2,499.99 for the Core i7 configuration and $2,999.99 for the Core i9 variant.

Permalink to story.

If Humans were spiders and had multiple arms and eyes - maybe this would be good.

But as it stands, we can't multitask. No matter how much you think you can, the reality is that only one thought can occupy the mind at once. For example: You can't type in Word while simultaneously typing numbers in Excel. You can't even view different types of information on multi monitors ( You can't play games on one while simultaneously doing spreadsheets on another).

That said, I'm sure somebody could find a use for this but I think they'd be better off making a laptop that has 3 monitors which can fold like Project Valerie.

If you're just watching a widescreen movie or playing a game, you can actually focus on those 3 screens since you're only doing one task.

The lack of a wrist relief is also a no go.

Last edited:
A bit odd, but hey at least they're innovating and trying something new. Every damn laptop follows the same paradigm.

If Humans were spiders and had multiple arms and eyes - maybe this would be good.

But as it stands, we can't multitask. No matter how much you think you can, the reality is that only one thought can occupy the mind at once. For example: You can't type in Word while simultaneously typing numbers in Excel. You can't even view different types of information on multi monitors ( You can't play games on one while simultaneously doing spreadsheets on another).

That said, I'm sure somebody could find a use for this but I think they'd be better off making a laptop that has 3 monitors which can fold like Project Valerie.

If you're just watching a widescreen movie or playing a game, you can actually focus on those 3 screens since you're only doing one task.

There are a lot of reasons why fold out screens are inferior to this solution (and goes without saying, and vice versa). For one thing, a folding out screen might not be the most practical thing to use. While it might be usable at a typical work station or hotel, is probably not at all practical even in business seat airplanes or at a slightly busy coffee shop. In both of those scenarios, it is possible to use all the functionalities on this laptop. Less productivity compared to fold out screen, but even if you consider it only 1.5 screen, is still 0.5 more. And it also exists in the market as opposed to Valerie at time of writing.

For most people, multi-screen is not strictly about multi-tasking at the same time. It is enabling someone to two tasks at the same time slot easily. People don't type in Word and Excel at the same time, people already with multiple monitors don't do that either, that much is obvious. People do look at data or graphs generated in Excel, type their report on Word, then check back on Excel again for the next section, and might need to look at it back and forth, a multi-screen aids that a lot; I know from experience a lot of researchers would love something like this (if the budget allows). Or in another sense for Twitch or whatever (this is not a gaming laptop but for future), a streamer can play the game and have the chat easily viewable without having to do anything else or another device. Or you can follow a step by step guide on small screen and the game on big screen. Or it could be just watching a movie, and you can chat with your friends at the same time, you aren't multi-tasking, you just have it there and occasionally check for new messages, and you probably don't want a clunky 3 panel display when doing that necessarily. These are the "Multi-task" people typically refer to, split second interactions and people do that all the time everyday.

That is not to say that already can't be achieved with a single screen, but it is to reduce clicking, time switching windows. And then there is the form factor; Valerie will never be light or as thin as this device. Ultrabooks exists; so does gaming laptops that. And so does 2in1s. I am interested in Valerie and excited for the idea to come to fruition, but it won't be a replacement for someone who uses this device. Likewise, this device won't replace the needs of someone who wants a Valerie-esque device, but is good for consumers that there are options (once it gets cheaper/released).

WOW .... considering the lifespan of many laptops out there this seems to be more than a little overpriced, but then again I'm still using my old Pentium based Dell ..... LOL

I agree. The absence of wrist rest is a terrible design decision, IMHO. Even if it's on sale, I won't get this abomination. And secondly (or firstly) ASUS is always overpriced nowadays.

They managed to squeeze a 10-key into a 14" laptop. That should be the most notable feature about this...thing.

The lack of a wrist relief is also a no go.

If you were a developer or creator I think you would appreciate this thing more.

I develop VR games and I work with FIRST robotics.

I don't appreciate it at all. Or the lack of a palm rest.

Er, so you only develop things with one screen? A second screen integrated in the laptop is very useful to lots of other developers I would say.

Been using keyboards with or without a palm rest, don't think that's much of a biggie to me. And actually this thing comes with a palm rest...

Er, so you only develop things with one screen? A second screen integrated in the laptop is very useful to lots of other developers I would say.

Been using keyboards with or without a palm rest, don't think that's much of a biggie to me. And actually this thing comes with a palm rest...

Actually I have Three 20" displays

Back