Asus N71J graphics glitches

Hey guys,

Just got myself an Asus N71J for Xmas, was running fine until this morning. Running windows 7 64bit, anyways I was able to play games and surf on Aero fine (Left 4 Dead 2, Eve, CoD), then this morning it starts to bug up. Little coloured squares appear everywhere under aero, they're absent if I turn off aero. If I try to play any form of game the display driver fails (windows recorgnizes it) and I have to turn the game off. I've removed all the display drivers and put up to date ones, done the same with Directx to no avail. Short of formatting there's not much left for me to do on the software end, but I really dont think that's the issue. I'm pretty sure the Radion HD5730 is dying on me but would like to see what you guys think. Cheers!

Go to the Asus support website and download the video driver for your model laptop. Windows Update might find hardware updates automatically. Just because the laptop is new, this doesn't mean it has the latest updates installed. If you have no luck with this, return the laptop or have it serviced under warranty

I bought my N71JQ almost a year ago. I experienced the same recently.
It seems that it is not very rare problem.
The same artifacts on the screen in windows. Sometimes the artifacts around the mouse sometimes just random colorful lines. Usually the system crashed afterwards. Ones the screen just blinked with some white vertical lines of different height and changing constantly.

Actually today I received my laptop from service and I was very surprised when I found out that they replaced just HDD!!! What seems to be graphic card may have been hard drive?!
I am still in process testing the laptop. We will see if it was really it.

Just got my computer back from ASUS (who were very quick and efficient if I might add). Turns out it was the graphics card as I suspected, replaced the whole motherboard and it seems to have solved the problem.

Yeah, the graphics chip is part of the motherboard on most laptops... On some more expensive laptops there is a separate graphics card

Back