Asus P5N-D new system build wont boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

protecterstouch

This system is all brand new and put together just this morning.
Motherboard: Asus P5N-D
Memory: 4GB DDR 2 pc8500
CPU: Intel Quad Core 2 2.66 Ghz
Heat Sync: Antec Performance Max 92mm fan 3 heat pipes
Video: Gigabyte Geforce Gts 250 1Gb DDR 3 PCI Express
Power: 850W Cooler Master Silent Pro
Chasis: Antec P183

Anyway this is my second system build and everything went wonderful on the first time powering it up. Everything came on and the system detected all my Hard Drives and the DVD rom. I put in my copy of windows seven and went to install the 64 bit edition of the ultimate. Windows then went on to try and ready the files. At this point I leave the room for a quick call of nature while the system does it's thing.
When I came back the computer was all shut off and when I go to push the power I get nothing but a quick flash of the light from the fans. The green power light on the board is fine and when I plug a monitor in it detects that its attached to the video card. So I disconnect the power and reinsert the main power cords on the system for the cpu and the board. Plug it back in the turn the power supply on and get the little green light. I hit the power button and again all I get is a quick flash of the fans and lights. I have no idea what might be causing this but the system was running good for a full five mins. Anyone have any ideas as to what might be causing this.

may have overheated... i had the same board a little over a year ago and it had the worst chipset cooling i'd seen. clear the cmos and install that chipset fan that comes included with the board and see if that helps. i can't remember if i had to do a BIOS update on mine but needless to say it was actually one of the buggiest boards i've owned thus far; i ended up selling it.

i do remember having problems with sata drivers for my optical dvd drive so you might want to start there. the driver support for that board from nvidia is garbage and I had to do a lot of experimenting with beta and generic drivers. if you haven't configured the BIOS settings than i would try that next, or try it with 2GB RAM installed and see what happens. might need to be configured manually via options in BIOS as well...

Okay that makes perfect sense but if it overheated would that not damage the board quite a bit? Anyway put on the stock fan and found the jumper pin to reset the bios but I need to pull the battery apparently. My old MSI board had a nice little button for this so I have no idea what a good method for removing the battery may be. The booklet for the board gives no indication of the proper method of doing this. Anyone know an easy way of getting the battery out without having to force it.

there should be a tab or little slot on one side of the seat... pops right out.

motherboards are designed to shut down completely when they get too hot, and before any serious damage may be inflicted. once you leave the bat out for a min or so put it back in and then start the system back up.

Okay so I pulled the battery and reset the bios. Still the same issue when I power up the system I get the fans and lights for a sec then it powers down. I think it was the northbridge that overheated on the first bootup while installing windows. I might just need to RMA the board unless someone has some more possible ideas. I did a full check of the chassis to make sure everything is grounded correctly as well.

hmm... do you have another motherboard to try with the power supply or has the psu been used in previous builds without any problems? it sounds like the motherboard itself but you never know. did you try using just 2GB ram instead of all 4? or even 1GB for that matter... regardless the problem seems to be with either the PSU or motherboard so perhaps an RMA of either item is the best solution.

which core 2 duo/quad are you using btw? 45nm or 65nm?

45nm 6mb L2 shared cache. I think the power supply is okay like I said the system ran a solid five minutes. I tried using the other PCI E instead but no change at all. Both of the 2gb stick are okay I had the store I bought them at run memtest 86 on them. I think I might be doing something wrong with resetting the bios and am pretty sure the north bridge just overheated and shut down the system. Anyway I will play with it some more tomorrow. Thanks for the help I will give and update later for closure.

if the system ran for a solid 5 hours i'd probably be inclined to agree but 5 minutes isn't enough to out the PSU altogether. it's probably fine like you said, but some hardware is just faulty. it's much more likely the motherboard though. shut the computer down completely, give it some time to cool off, and then try it again tomorrow. if the same thing happens, exchange it for another one or get something else. that board was sort of a nightmare for me as well...

Im inclined to agree with EXCell on the mother board being the problem, something may have failed on it. It seems odd that it would happen after 5 minutes but it is possible, faulty cap somewhere, bad connection somewhere. The board got a little hot for the first time and decided to kill itself. I had the same board for about 6 months without any problems, just no ability to OC AT ALL, then I sold it to my friend who had no intension to overclock and got the P5N-T Deluxe, which was also garbage at overcloking... But still the board is going strong for my friend and the P5N-T Deluxe is also good with a seperate friend that I sold it to. Recap, bring the board back and get something else, if you want to go SLI your options are limited to a rather bad selection of Nvidia based boards. Not sure if this helped but its still some more information.

Okay so I got a game plan. I am going to buy a power supply tester and see it that will narrow my issue down a bit. Rexus PST-2 20/24pin Power Supply Tester seems like a good one very simple and easy to read and use. If the power supply is okay then I can only assume the board overheated or went defective on the first few minutes of run time. If anyone thinks otherwise please let me know!

a power supply tester is great to have, but honestly i would just take advantage of the board's warranty first (if it has one) and do an RMA. it's just that it's much more likely that it is actually the motherboard and i can confirm that the P5N-D is very buggy. the problem is with the exchange time so i suppose testing the power supply, which is arguably the most important part of the system, ahead of time won't hurt. good luck and post back with the results.

Okay so I ran the power supply tester and it came back fine with the 24pin and p6/p4 connectors hooked in. Sata and 4pin power connectors came back okay so did the floppy power. It is a modded power supply and I tested all the mod slots. At this point I can think we can clearly concluded something on the mobo might have shorted out. The ram posted okay on the first boot up so did the processor and the video card. Unless there is anything else I'm sure it must be the mobo and the RMA is the next step.

Well RMA the board and while its out you should try to test all your components just to be sure none of them might be the problem, mainly the video card and the CPU if possible.

I know the video card is okay I tested it in another system and it worked fine. I don't think the cpu is the issue seeing as the system did run for a few minutes and posted okay the first time around. I have a nice big custom heat sync on it too so I know I didn't over heat it. Anyway I will RMA the board and if it comes back and still wont boot then I know the cpu is at fault.

The only time I've had a CPU cause me a similar issue was when the BIOS didn't support it, this was back on a P5P800 that didn't support the P4 630. It would turn on but nothing would happen. But again you said it worked the first time so that would be impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back