Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQ Monitor Review: 27-inch 1440p 165Hz IPS for $430

I bought an LG 27GK750F 240Hz (TN panel) monitor a couple of months ago......LOVE IT! And it's almost half the price of this one.

I found this comparison unhelpful. The reviewers failure to include the Viewsonic XG2703-GS that is based on the same panel as the reviewed monitor, and instead choosing a LOWER SPEC Viewsonic monitor is BAD FORM! The Viewsonic XG2703-GS matches specs exactly to the TUF Gaming VG27AQ as a 27" 1440p 165hz IPS/AHVA panel with the only difference being hardware Gsync included with the XG2703-GS and the cost of the Viewsonic XG being somewhat prohibitive (the XG is stupidly expensive) but does match specs.

I own this monitor (got one for $470). It’s good, but not great. While it clearly says it’s an IPS panel it feels and looks more like a TN panel. Response times and refresh rate makes it feel buttery smooth and color reproduction is okay, but back light bleeding and some other quirks are a bit aggravating at times. Picture quality is very clean and sharp though. Watching or playing dark content does not look great either. It also seems like it takes a bit to resume from standby.

I’d give it 7/10. Any less for the money and I would have returned it.

My old 60 Hz 24” IPS Dell Ultrasharp from like... 2008-2010 has way better picture quality with no back light bleeding. Problem is, it’s 60 Hz.

Overall I enjoy the monitor but it’s not everything I hoped for... but, at $470 I feel like I got what I paid for. My old Ultrasharp was $650ish.

Oh, I forgot to mention! ELMB = HEADACHE MODE!

Last edited:
I found this comparison unhelpful. The reviewers failure to include the Viewsonic XG2703-GS that is based on the same panel as the reviewed monitor, and instead choosing a LOWER SPEC Viewsonic monitor is BAD FORM! The Viewsonic XG2703-GS matches specs exactly to the TUF Gaming VG27AQ as a 27" 1440p 165hz IPS/AHVA panel with the only difference being hardware Gsync included with the XG2703-GS and the cost of the Viewsonic XG being somewhat prohibitive (the XG is stupidly expensive) but does match specs.

They didn't "choose" to compare this one to the Viewsonic VX2758-2KP-MHD. They reviewed that Viewsonic monitor previously and obviously they can only compare monitors they have measured in the studio. If you want them to review the Viewsonic XG2703-GS, then become a Patreon member of Hardware Unboxed and suggest it to them.

There is already a better monitor out there than this AHVA-ips (fake ips) and better priced than the acclaimed 27GL850 from LG and it's called Lenovo Y27q-20 !!!

Why nobody says anything about it ? any respectable hardware reviewer should be ashamed they did not cover this jewel ( $450 MSRP, cheaper than LG own 27GL850, since they have the same PANEL).

The LG is really really good and worth the extra money. First hand with it after a while now.

The LG 83a is definitely worth looking at as well. Main difference is the wider color gamut, but the 83a is 100% sRGB which is fine for most gamers unless they do photo editing. I got mine for $320 on black friday. Normally about $380.

Back