Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQ Monitor Review: 27-inch 1440p 165Hz IPS for $430

BadThad

TS Maniac
I bought an LG 27GK750F 240Hz (TN panel) monitor a couple of months ago......LOVE IT! And it's almost half the price of this one.

Tyrchlis

TS Rookie
I found this comparison unhelpful. The reviewers failure to include the Viewsonic XG2703-GS that is based on the same panel as the reviewed monitor, and instead choosing a LOWER SPEC Viewsonic monitor is BAD FORM! The Viewsonic XG2703-GS matches specs exactly to the TUF Gaming VG27AQ as a 27" 1440p 165hz IPS/AHVA panel with the only difference being hardware Gsync included with the XG2703-GS and the cost of the Viewsonic XG being somewhat prohibitive (the XG is stupidly expensive) but does match specs.

SolarisGuru

TS Booster
I own this monitor (got one for $470). It’s good, but not great. While it clearly says it’s an IPS panel it feels and looks more like a TN panel. Response times and refresh rate makes it feel buttery smooth and color reproduction is okay, but back light bleeding and some other quirks are a bit aggravating at times. Picture quality is very clean and sharp though. Watching or playing dark content does not look great either. It also seems like it takes a bit to resume from standby.

I’d give it 7/10. Any less for the money and I would have returned it.

My old 60 Hz 24” IPS Dell Ultrasharp from like... 2008-2010 has way better picture quality with no back light bleeding. Problem is, it’s 60 Hz.

Overall I enjoy the monitor but it’s not everything I hoped for... but, at $470 I feel like I got what I paid for. My old Ultrasharp was $650ish.

Oh, I forgot to mention! ELMB = HEADACHE MODE!

Last edited:
I found this comparison unhelpful. The reviewers failure to include the Viewsonic XG2703-GS that is based on the same panel as the reviewed monitor, and instead choosing a LOWER SPEC Viewsonic monitor is BAD FORM! The Viewsonic XG2703-GS matches specs exactly to the TUF Gaming VG27AQ as a 27" 1440p 165hz IPS/AHVA panel with the only difference being hardware Gsync included with the XG2703-GS and the cost of the Viewsonic XG being somewhat prohibitive (the XG is stupidly expensive) but does match specs.
They didn't "choose" to compare this one to the Viewsonic VX2758-2KP-MHD. They reviewed that Viewsonic monitor previously and obviously they can only compare monitors they have measured in the studio. If you want them to review the Viewsonic XG2703-GS, then become a Patreon member of Hardware Unboxed and suggest it to them.

havok585

TS Addict
There is already a better monitor out there than this AHVA-ips (fake ips) and better priced than the acclaimed 27GL850 from LG and it's called Lenovo Y27q-20 !!!

Why nobody says anything about it ? any respectable hardware reviewer should be ashamed they did not cover this jewel ( $450 MSRP, cheaper than LG own 27GL850, since they have the same PANEL).

Ryan Barrett

TS Enthusiast
The LG is really really good and worth the extra money. First hand with it after a while now.
The LG 83a is definitely worth looking at as well. Main difference is the wider color gamut, but the 83a is 100% sRGB which is fine for most gamers unless they do photo editing. I got mine for $320 on black friday. Normally about $380.