At my wits end!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks i really hope somebody could help me as i carnt seem to find the answer anywhere :(

Right... i formated my laptop with win xp pro & now my slave HDD doesnt show in my computer or devce manager but was in computer management.. so i thought it would be because i deleted the partition when i set up the os, so i inserted my os disc & whent to the set up stage & partitioned my drive. but when i escaped the set up procedure windows failed to boot saying a file missing. i then reinstalled my os & now my slave doesnt show up in my computer, devce manager OR computer management. after looking hard on the net i know i could have fixed the problem when it showed in computer managment but now its not there i really dont know what to do.

any help would be very apriciated.
thanks Rasscal

If you list your hardware setup, that would be helpful. First things to check are the obvious; Power to the slave hard drive, jumper settings, did you handle the slave hard drive and if so, did you touch the board?

SNGX1275 You have 2 hard drives in your laptop?

yes that is right a master seagate 60 gig
and an unknown slave 5 gig

spehling If you list your hardware setup, that would be helpful. First things to check are the obvious; Power to the slave hard drive, jumper settings, did you handle the slave hard drive and if so, did you touch the board?

hardware setup?..... what you need to know lol
& the obvious as far as poswer & jumper settings all correct not been removed or touched, powered & worked before the os install.

Does it show in your BIOS? What laptop is this? Very few actually have 2 physical hard drives, and 5 gigs is a little unusual. I wonder if you are confusing physical hard drives and partitions.

It sounds like what you are calling the slave probably was the restore partition used to store the restore software. It is very possible that you wiped out the partition on your second partition change. If you have all the software and had a backup of your data prior to loading XP pro you should be ok.

It sounds to me what you are calling an unknown slave was probably the restore partition used by the mfg to store your restore software. You probably wiped it out on your second partition change. If you have your software and had a back-up of your data prior to loading XP pro then you probably won't have a problem.

SNGX1275 Does it show in your BIOS? What laptop is this? Very few actually have 2 physical hard drives, and 5 gigs is a little unusual. I wonder if you are confusing physical hard drives and partitions.

i carnt currently check bios as i am installing updates on my system, but i think u have hit the nail on the head so to speak & that sounds really possible, i will definately check bios as soon as. thanks btw what a silly mistake i could have made i hate being such a novice haha

so then guys if this is the problem
"It sounds like what you are calling the slave probably was the restore partition used to store the restore software. It is very possible that you wiped out the partition on your second partition change."
& i dont have a back up of the files i stored on there if the partition space is still there could it be posible to access this space & retrieve the data i stored on there?

thanks rasscal.

so then guys if this is the problem
"It sounds like what you are calling the slave probably was the restore partition used to store the restore software. It is very possible that you wiped out the partition on your second partition change."

& i dont have a back up of the files i stored on there if the partition space is still there could it be posible to access this space & retrieve the data i stored on there?

thanks rasscal.

How much is the lost data worth to you? I personally have not had any luck restoring a partition and then retrieving the data on the partition in a usable version. There are places that may be able to retrieve the data. It is time consuming and expensive. There are many down loadable partition and data retrial software available. Maybe someone else has had luck doing this and could lead you in that process. What I have done is learned to backup my hard drive all partitions with OS before I make any changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back