AT&T unveils 5G plans for 2017, trials starting in Texas

William Gayde

Staff

As we reach the limits of what 4G LTE can offer, wireless providers are hard at work preparing the next iteration of wireless technology. 5th generation networks, 5G for short, will offer vastly increased speeds, decreased latency, and ultra low power consumption among other things. Service providers and phone manufacturers in Asia have begun testing new 5G capable models as well as the networks needed to support them. Japanese operator NTT DoCoMo has achieved download speeds in excess of 3Gbps and Samsung in Korea has managed speeds around 1Gbps.

US providers Verizon, T-Mobile, and Sprint have all laid out plans for adoption of the 5G standard. AT&T has joined the party and just announced its 5G roadmap at the 2017 Consumer Electronics Show. They have solid performance results to show, too. Lab results of 14Gbps and a latency of less than 3ms is very impressive compared to current standards.

AT&T will begin field trials in Austin, Texas during the first few months of 2017. They believe they can offer customers sustained speeds of around 1Gbps. The international standard for 5G however won't be adopted until 2020.

5G uses a much higher frequency signal, so range and building penetration will be a major challenge to overcome. The ultra low power and low latency will allow some Internet of Things devices to stay operational for up to 10 years without needing to change their battery. Expect more 5G news and coverage of its implementation in the coming months.

Permalink to story.

Finally starting in Texas first, but in Austin???

5G will be better than most local fiber connections, TWC and Frontier need to step up their game!! We are barely pushing 100MB in most residential areas of DFW.

Why do you have datacaps in the US? We have less people per square mile, highers wages for maintenance workers and bad weather conditions (winter, frozen earth, costs more to dig) but no datacaps. You have no reason to have data caps if we don't have em here where they would make sense with all the costs. I get unlimited 4g data with unlimited calls and texts for 20€/month.

If they are doing 1 GB speed, we need unlimited data for less than $50 a month.

I'm on a 50 up/50 down fiber in rural Indiana (I know, it's crazy), and it is unlimited, but it is $80.

Why do you have datacaps in the US? We have less people per square mile, highers wages for maintenance workers and bad weather conditions (winter, frozen earth, costs more to dig) but no datacaps. You have no reason to have data caps if we don't have em here where they would make sense with all the costs. I get unlimited 4g data with unlimited calls and texts for 20€/month.

Carriers want to rape us.

LOL, 5G? Do a speed test during the day. In my area, it MIGHT be 10mbs. Off peak it runs around 50-60mbs.
What good is 5G, or even 4G, if they don't have the BANDWITH to support peak times, during the day, when people want to use their device?

Back